Surgery Date

DD1963
on 1/8/10 11:00 pm

I had my consultation yesterday with Dr. Anez.  Everything went fine, as I have been through that consultation twice before.  Dr. Anez knew that I had been scheduled for this surgery 3 times before and chickened out - so he put me on the "fast track" , lol!  On my way home from his office I received a call from Ann - the Insurance coordinator and Surgery Coordinator and she had already gotten my Insurance Authorization, had the scripts written for all my pre-ops and gave me a surgery date of February 10, 2010.   Given my current status of TERRIFIED - I guess a closer date is better than a date further out.  Less time to talk myself out of it again - and I guess that was the objective of getting me a date right away.  Now that date is subject to change because I have to have another sleep study, be fitted with a C-pap and have some other preops done before my date.  Oneof the preops I have to have is an endoscopy - which I have never had.  Could someone please share their experiences with an endoscopy so I will kno what to expect?

I have a couple of questions from some of Dr. Anez's (Fair Oaks Hospital) patients:  Were you awake when you went to the OR or had the anesthesiologist already given you something to knock you out before you got there.  I just know that I will never make it through this if they don't give me something to calm me down as soon as I walk into the hospital. 

HELP!!!!

vagirl00
on 1/9/10 12:37 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
I can't speak to the endocope, but there are a lot of people on this board who have had them and call explain that to you.

Though I wasn't a patient of Dr. Anez, I did have my surgery at Fair Oaks Hospital and I can say that it was a wonderful experience.  The people there were very professional, concerned, helpful...the works.  What I remember happening as far as anesthesia is concerned is they gave me something once I was settled in the pre op area after all of the docs and nurses had been by and done what they needed to do...when they wheeled me to the OR I was out of it...don't remember anything. 

I hope that helps.  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

DD1963
on 1/9/10 12:43 am
This helps greatly!!!!  I hope I have the same experience.  I so DON"T to chicken out of this this time.

How long were you out before you were able to wake up from the anesthesia and stay awake?  With the Gastric Bypass surgery, do they allow you to have ice chips right away?  I remember years ago (22+) when I had C-sections - waking up and my mouth being super dry!!! 

How long after you woke up were able to get out of the bed and walk?
vagirl00
on 1/9/10 12:51 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hmmm...gotta try to remember the time frames.  I know it took awhile for me to "come to" after the surgery, but not for anything they did...I apparently kept hitting the morphine pump and they didn't know it (lol!), and once they caught on, I came to pretty quickly.  (Better living through modern chemistry!) 

I remember having ice chips post op, but I think I was in my room when that happened.  You can always ask Dr. Anez's office how that goes to make sure if that is a concern...they may be able to give you the moisture swabs for your mouth before you can get your ice chips -- ask your surgeon.

Walking -- they get you up walking as soon as you can handle it after the surgery.  I did a lot of walking at the hospital, and as soon as I got home.  I can remember being out walking down the driveway the day I came home.  It is really important you walk as much as you can, keep up with your fluids and all of the other things Dr. Anez tells you. 

I hope that helps!
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

(deactivated member)
on 1/9/10 3:33 am
I have had two endoscopies.  It is a breeze.  Worst thing you will remember is getting the IV.  And they only need a tiny one.  Then they will give you a boat load of drugs and the next thing you will remember is someone saying - wake up - you are all done!  You do need to have a driver with you - obviously, and you may need a nap when you get home.  Other than that, a little sore throat the next day maybe.  No big deal at all. 
caroline2622
on 1/9/10 3:38 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
You will get a chance to talk to the anestisist and let them know your concerns.   But let me tell you Fair Oaks Anestisists are  the  BEST!       Fair Oaks is sooo good you can call ans talk to them any time.    

Endoscopy you will be put to sleep and the prosedure will be completed quickly.   Same thing let them know you are unsure.     You will have to drink a pill & lots of water to clean yourself out.  

If it helps you to know what comes they can explain.    

You are going to the best hospital in the area.  

Just know that once you get the weight off you will feel so great. 

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
DD1963
on 1/9/10 4:00 am
Thanks all for the information!!  I want to be as informed as I can be going in to the hospital on what to expect!! 

Strummy - how heavily sedated are you for the endoscopy?  I have sleep apnea - just wondering if that is a concern with that procedure.  Obviously I am obscessed with this sleep apnea thing.  It scares the poo out of me!! ;-)  The last time that I was going to have this surgery, they were going to do an UGI.  Not sure why they aren't doing that this time. 
DD1963
on 1/9/10 5:15 am
Hey, Heidi!!  I am going PM you.  Check you in box shortly.
(deactivated member)
on 1/10/10 2:04 am
You are actually "awake" during the procedure.  However, one of the meds they will give you is Versed - it causes amnesia of the event.  You will not recall anything about it.  So afterwards, you will think you were out cold.  But you will be breathing on your own, you will not be intubated or anything.  One other note - for the endoscope, I did not have to do any clean out regimen.  Just had to not eat anything for 6 hours prior to the procedure.  Other docs might be different though.  But really, I was scared to death before the first one and they were so nice and there was nothing to worry about at all.  I was laughing and joking when I went in for the second one!
Heide A.
on 1/9/10 4:51 am - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
I have had 5 EDG's they are not a big deal. I'm super sensitive to anything that is sedating, PLUS I had sever apnea, and I did just fine, as long as you let them know they know how to handle it. My last EDG was at 2:30pm, I was back home by 4:15, but I live 8 ins from Fair Oaks at the time. I was a bit groggy the rest of the day but I was fine. I know that the apnea scares you alot and it is scary, but the team at Fair Oaks deals with it alot and handles it just fine, it is a Center of Excellence, they know their stuff. We are all here to help you get to the OR. If you would like to chat or meet let me know and I will be willing to share my story.
364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views