ABG

DD1963
on 1/5/10 10:21 pm
Ok -- I am hearing horror stories about the Arterial Blood Gas test that is presumably required as part of the pre-op testing for Gastric Bypass surgery.    What exactly is this test for and does it really hurt as much as everyone says it does??  I've heard that some surgeons require it and some don't - Does anyone know if Dr. Anez (Obesity Surgery Center) in Herndon, requires it as part of the pre-op?

Thanks!

Donna
Ms Court
on 1/5/10 10:48 pm - Remington, VA
Hi Donna.  I had Dr. Anez for my surgery 4 years ago and yes I had to have this test.  Basically they are checking the gasses in your blood by going in with a needle to the artery in your wrist.  I too have heard that it can be very painful and since I have a needle fear I was concerned about it, the lab tech I had at the hospital was great, he put me at ease and it really wasn't really any worse that other shots/lab work.  Wishing you the best on your journey.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

LaRuse
on 1/5/10 11:14 pm - Richmond, VA
I had my arterial blood gas test done last Wednesday.  They draw blood from an artery to see how well your lungs are functioning by checking the oxygen (and other gases) saturation of your blood.

I have no fear of needles (I donate platelets regularly), but I had heard over and over how bad this was. 

It was the second easiest part of my preadmission testing.  The needle the pulmonologist used was very small.  He took the blood from the artery in my right wrist.  He even had to move the needle around a bit to get the artery.  The only pain was a small stick of the needle going in.  He drew the blood in a small syringe and it was essentially over.  The most uncomfortable part was when he put a LOT of pressure on the spot after removing the needle to prevent it from bleeding out.  That was uncomfortable becase of the pressure and the cut off of my circulation, but that was only about 60 seconds.

By comparison, I had to have a lab tech stick me 3 different times across both arms to get a decent draw for my regular blood work (I had been fasting for almost 12 hours at that point due to an abdominal ultrasound, and my blood might as well have been molassas for the lack of water). 

The only thing easier than the blood gas was the chest x-ray. 

I hope this helps. 

Kim
DD1963
on 1/5/10 11:42 pm
Thanks, guys!  This definitely helps.  I go for my consultation with Dr. Anez this Friday (1/8/2010).  Not sure exactly when I will begin preop testing, but this was one of the tests that I was fretting over.  I sure hope my experience is as good as the one you guys had. 

Anyone else that can share experiences, please do.

Thanks, again!!

Donna
(deactivated member)
on 1/6/10 8:12 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Donna,

I echo what everyone else has said   - it is very similar to a normal blood test - I sweated buckets before it and it was nothing in the end - the thought of it was far worse than the actuallity. You just need to relax and remember we almost all had the pretests and survived lol!

Jasckie
elizabethbc
on 1/6/10 10:11 am

Hi,

I am having RNY revision to repair two gastrogastric fistulae and hiatal hernia surgery with mesh placement on 1/18.  Today was my pre-op day.  I had a complete interview with the OR nurse coordinator, two tubes of blood taken, a chest x-ray, an EKG and a visit with the nurse practitioner for a complete physical...but no ABG tes!

The first time I had surgery, in 2005, I had one, but it is not as big a deal as you might think.   The fear of the unknown gets me every time.  You will be fine, either way.  If you are having pre-op counseling, this might be a good thing to bring up.

Best wishes,
elizabeth

369/175/149
Starting weight/doctor's goal weight/current weight

Lynn415
on 1/8/10 5:44 am - Chantilly, VA
I had to have ABG done.  They did it at Fair Oaks.  It was nothing.  I had never had one and didn't know so many people were concerned.  I guess it was "ignorant bliss" on my part.  I only realized AFTER the fact when I read several posting on OH that others might be concerned.  All I can tell you is that the tech who did mine at Fair Oaks Hospital was great.  It hurt less than getting blood drawn from my arm usually does!
Surgery 4/15/09 - 294 lb.
At goal   2/15/10 - 160 lb.
Currently:  ... and for the rest of my life:  Figuring out maintenance.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views