Sleep Apnea

DD1963
on 1/2/10 1:07 am
I am scheduled for a consultation for Gastric Bypass surgery on January 8th with Dr. Anez in Herndon VA.  I have been scheduled for this surgery a couple of times in the past and have backed out at the last minute.  As such I have gone through most of the pre-op procedures for this surgery at least once - sometimes twice.  The last time I was scheduled for it (about 3 years ago) I discovered in the pre-op procedures that I have Sleep Apnea, although never got a C-Pap.  Now I am anticipating having this surgery sometime in February.  Question:  Will they make me redo the sleep study?  And will they make me get a c-pap just for the surgery - assuming that I probaby will not need it very long after the surgery - as I am on the lighter side of the qualification scale.  I am right at 100 lbs over weight, albeit have a number of other health issues that qualify me for the surgery. 

Also - The sleep apena was actually the reason that I backed out of the surgery the last time, as I am terrified of having anesthesia with sleep apnea.  Anyone else have sleep apnea when they had surgery but didn't have complications with the anesthesia?

Thanks,

Donna
(deactivated member)
on 1/2/10 3:53 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Donna, my best guess is that yes they will test once again for sleep apnea and then you will have to wear the c-pap mask for a short while before surgery and then afterwards until hey tell you that you no longer need it. The Anethnetist will know that you have sleep apnea and they will monitor you after surgery and put the mask on you so make sure you can breathe correctly as you wake up. You may be required to take the mask to hospital with you prior to surgery...

I know many people find out they have sleep apnea prior to surgery and are given the c-pap mask and make it through surgery just fine....

You will be in Fair Oaks Hospital I presume and they have great anesthetists and procedures!! They will keep a very close eye on you......

Jackie

caroline2622
on 1/2/10 9:32 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Donna    Jackie said it well.   You need to CPap machine  1) you are not breathing during sleep.   2) The CPAP will help open the airway.   This makes your surgery much safer.  
3)  Get the weight off and you will eventually ween off of the machine. 

All round you will feel better and breathing for a healthier and quality life.  

Perhaps counceling with a counceler familiar with WLS would help you.  

Totally understand where you are at.  Took me 5 years before I had surgery.   Best thing I ever did.

Keep in touch ! 

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
cynthia G.
on 1/3/10 12:44 am - va bch, VA
I have had sleep apnea for over a year. It is no big deal, but now I  need a new sleep study the pressure is to high and I cant use it right now.  You have nothing to worry about as far as Anesthesia, they are prepared and everything worked out fine for me. I am currently at 7 wks.  The surgery was the smartest thing I have ever done for a better quality of life.
Good Luck
DD1963
on 1/3/10 1:35 am
Thank you all for responding!!!  I need all the positive words that I can get!  I have got to go through with this this time.  I know when it is all said and done I will be thankful and I will wish that I had done it years ago when I started doing my research. 

Speaking with a WLS counselor is probably exactly what I need to do!  Jackie has offered to speak with me personally and has invited me to a WLS Support Meeting which I will be attending very soon.  I need to surround myself with positive people that have had this surgery and can tell me what to expect.  I am not telling alot of people that I am looking in to it again because I don't want the negative feed back.  I have done my research - and lots of it I might add - and I am well informed in terms of the risks of this surgery.  I am also all to familiar with the things that I could die from if I don't have it! 

Again, thanks all for responding!!  Anyone else that can share experiences with anesthesia and sleep apnea please do!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views