Plastic Surgery Confusion

Mitchel Krieger
on 12/2/09 11:22 pm - Fairfax, VA
It has come to my attention that there has been some confusion regarding Dr. Andrew Kriegel and myself. Dr Kriegel is a new plastic surgeon that has joined Bluepoint Medical Group working with Dr Halmi and Moazzez. The source of confusion is obvious with last names being so close. I have been in independent practice at Fair Oaks for just over 12 years focusing my practice on post weight loss patients. I am sure Dr. Kriegel is a fine individual but please be aware that we are different people with different practices. I would encourage patient to seek consultation with multiple plastic surgeons before making a decison. Medicine is as much art as science and there are often a number of ways to approach a problem. It is important to chose the approach that seems best suited for your situation. I would also encourage those interested in plastic surgery to speak with other members of this board and with your support groups. They are perhaps your best resource for information to make an informed decision.  Best wishes to you all this holiday season.

Mitchel Krieger, MD, FACS
www.virginiaplasticsurgery.com
(deactivated member)
on 12/3/09 10:08 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I agree there is certainly confusion!! - I saw it in our support group last month and have had people write me notes and call me about it. I would certainly advise people to talk to actual patients before they make a decision - you can see the work far better than in pictures.

Jackie
~~Theresa Marie~~
on 12/5/09 2:23 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Jackie, just out of curiosity... When is it more safer to have plastic surgery after WLS. I am 17 months out, about 18 lbs below my surgeon's goal & about 25 lbs from MY goal, (although I'm not sure if my goal is realistic or more of a cosmetic goal for me).

I know that with plastics, weight can be lost. What is, or is there an average of the weight of skin, fat they remove. And would this amount play a factor as to if I should do plastics while I still have the 25'ish lbs to lose so that if I do lose that and then have plastics, it may make me weigh too less? Or should I weigh to finish losing? And I know that right now, with the troubles I've been having with eating, ulcers and the feeding tube, now is NOT a good time, I am just trying to prepare myself.

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 2:41 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with

I lost the message the first time so I am trying one more time.....

Usually, at the very earliest, they require your weight to have been stabilized for 3 months or so - but best time is about a year + afterwards......

Dr Krieger has kindly volunteered to come down and talk to my support group anytime, so we are thinking maybe Feb for this - when we do this you are more than welcome to come to the meeting - as always...... as is everyone else...

Everyone varies in their skin/fat weight loss and depends on the surgery - I lost 12lbs of skin but I have known people lose 6lbs and someone lose 22lbs - it depends on how much weight you have lost and how much loose skin you have.....

Most surgeons will not do any surgeries until you have been confirmed to be in good health because they want you to heal well...... and Dr Krieger does some blood testing etc  to make sure you are fit for surgery. And I can vouch for him not doing it if you are not - one of my surgeries was delayed for 3 months because my iron was too low - Dr Krieger wouldn't do it until my levels improved... so he cares how you do....

Hope this helps

Jackie

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 12/5/09 2:50 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Oh it definitely helps. And I know that with all the issues that have been going on lately, that I am so not ready for the plastics. But I am trying to be as informed as much as possible about everything involved.

Honestly, I hadn't really ever thought about the plastics until my appt yesterday with my PCP. I had a meltdown so to speak, and realized that I am having issues with self esteem due to some skin issues but there are other issues with food, (which is not new) that I have to work on. So we started drug therapy for those issues and will be continuing to see the bariatric eating disorder psychiatrist. So admittedly, part of my interest in the plastics is for a self esteem boast but I have noticed that the rashes, which were such a major problem before my WLS, when my diabetes was out of control that I was hospitalized from them becoming secondarily infected, with even MRSA, are now becoming an issue all over again.

So as I mentioned, I am just trying to get informed and I knew that you would be a good person to come to with questions. Thank you very much for steering me in the right direction. I truly appreciate it.
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

(deactivated member)
on 12/5/09 2:56 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
You are more than welcome Theresa - I am always happy to help in any way I can....

I had the same kind of issues - I thought once I lost the weight I would be happier but I hated the excess loose skin so much!  I think when you are overweight people just expect you to be fat and so don't look at you much. But when you are slimmer and you have all this loose ugly skin, you are way more self comscious of it than you were of the fat........... if you reach out for something and all your bat wings show, it is was so hard for me to ignore......

But just have some patience and you will get there. And yes learn as much as you can now because you can never be over informed!

I am always here for you....

Jackie
dwpersel
on 12/4/09 12:29 am - Fredericksburg, VA
Thanks so much for posting Dr. Krieger. I'm one of those who made the mistake of confusing you and Dr. Kriegel. Thank goodness I was set straight very quickly and am looking forward to my surgery on January 18th with you. Glad that Jackie Thodos was able to steer me in the best direction possible...to you!

Diana W. Perrussel

(deactivated member)
on 12/4/09 6:17 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Glad I could help Diana - I only wanted you to have the best! ............ and now you have it!

Jackie
dwpersel
on 12/4/09 12:02 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
AMEN!
virtly
on 12/5/09 6:04 am - va
RNY on 02/11/04 with
He is awesome Diana.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views