Gaining weight due to minimal (way under minimal) caloric intake? (Long but need advice)

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 12/1/09 12:33 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
So I went to see the fabulous WLS today for a follow up from my EGD through the feeding tube tunnel. I was so praying that the feeding tube would be coming out and all would get right with the world.... But NO!!!

The scale said I was about 6 lbs more than I was 1 month ago. And honestly I find that a bit impossible or at least hard to do considering I usually only consume about 400-700 calories a day, orally. Although I do pick up some through the feeding tube.

Don't get me wrong. I KNOW that I am NOT on track. With the ulcer coming and me not knowing I had one until it was diagnosed as a bleeding ulcer and I needed a transfusion, I have had troubles & issues eating for about 8 months. Usually it's just that when I do eat or drink, it feels extremely heavy, to the point where I gag and want to throw up but never do. For the last 6 months, I have been living off of Perocets, Vicodins, Tramadols (not all at the sae time but varies between the 3) and Phenergan, just to be able to eat. I have been rescoped to check on the ulcer, which has healed. I have had a small bowel series through the feeding tube to check on the intestines & the blind stomach. And finally, I just had the EGD through the feeding tube tunnel due to an appearance in the small bowel series of a narrowing in the pyloric area. The narrowing isn't bad enough to warrant surgery but we have to watch it with frequent EGD's. And now on top of everything, there is the diagnosis of Gastroperesis.

I KNOW I can do better with the food intake. I know I MUST do better with the food/liquid intake. But honestly, lately, I think frustration, confusion and fear has taken over!!! How can one person go from being a food addict, overeating to the point of getting to 360 lbs and eating probably 5000+ calories a day to the point of not even wanting to eat, and consuming 400-700 calories a day. I NEVER thought I'd have to force myself to eat. I always thought that overeating would kill me not undereating!!!

Enough of my rambling. I suppose I do have a question though, outside of pouring out my heart and unveiling my weaknesses. With having a history of Congestive Heart Failure, (diagnosed in 2005) & having open heart surgery 7 months ago, could it be at all probable that the 6'ish pounds that I have gained be fluid? Or does that starvation mode, holding on to every calorie you put in your body really do that to someone?

I thank everyone for reading. Putting this out here has definitely made me more aware of my issues. I will welcome EVERY comment, good, bad or indifferent. If I didn't want each & every opinion or suggestion, what would be the point in posting, lol!!! Thanks again everyone!!!
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

~Truffles~
on 12/1/09 1:15 pm - VA
Sounds like you are going through a rough time, please don't be so hard on yourself.

Keeping hydrated is probably the most important thing while your tummy continues to heal.

Try not to stress yourself too much.

Wishing you all the best,

Renee

cyber-hug coming your way
CKatGo
on 12/1/09 7:18 pm - VA
Theresa, I can't give you any advice since I have just had my RNY last week but want you to know that I will be praying for you to recover and feel really good very soon.
For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, love and self-discipline. 2 Tim 1:7
Ms Court
on 12/1/09 9:53 pm - Remington, VA
It may be a combination of several factors.  Check the side affects of the meds you have been taking and see if weight gain and/or water retention is one of them.  Starvation mode can definitely do that to you.  Definitely keep trying to up those calories.  Even if it is just one protein drink a day to start with, get it going.  Just keep doing the best you can and push through it.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Melissa N.
on 12/1/09 10:16 pm - Stafford, VA
TM,

Hey darling.  I am sorry you are dealing with these issues.  I can understand the eating part.  It is very frustrating.  Since the problems I had with the old ulcer and the "new" ulcer eating is hard to do.  Denser foods sit hard on my pouch and hurts.  I can only eat 6 bites and I am done.  It is so frustrating.  I am more or less on a softer diet.  Kinda like the mushy foods.  Greek yogurt and softer protiens.  But, one thing I am doing is if I eat the denser foods, it is the smaller portions then I eat again about 30 mins later to get more in. I eat more frequent meals to get my nutrients in.  But all I want is to go back to where I was before these problems.  It is very frustrating.

The undereating, could it be psychological?  I know majority of us go through the fear of gaining our and fight with the idea of eating healthy foods and healthy protions that will help us maintain our weights.  That struggle can vary on all ends of the spectrum.

As far as the wieght gain, it could be either or or acombanation of both.  I know I have been steady 180-184 usually about 182.  Monday I was at 185.  This morning I am at 183.  I know i have been retaining water and I can tell today is the purge day as all the times I have had to go to the restroom since 7am.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Kitty Kat
on 12/1/09 10:34 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Theresa,

I'm offering up prayers for you about your ongoing situation. I don't have specific personal experiences just experiences with other family & friends. I agree with some others here that its most likely a combination of things. I hope that your docs can work together to continue finding solutions that can work for you.

All best.
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

caroline2622
on 12/2/09 6:20 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Theresa      Melissa said it very lovingly well.    Just know that we are care and want you to get better.    Has anyone suggested working with your nutrionist.  

I know when my husband was fighting cancer last year, the struggles with his feeding tube.     Ask the nutrionist if the high calorie protien drinks will help...  Ensure or Boost...     He still eat meals but supplimented with the drinks......   Nutrionists encouraged this to keep him from loosing too much weight and muscle....     In fact he was drinking my protien as well.    I looked for protiens.       

You need to feed your body to heal and that means gaining some weight too.   Just to opposite of what we are all doing.    Perhaps the nutrionist can give you healthy ideas to get you eating and get the tube out.

God Bless   Wish we lived closer.  

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Pat F.
on 12/2/09 11:24 am - Richmond, VA
Theresa, like I said on facebook do not be hard on yourself. Someone on here said to try protein drinks I agree and that is what I do every morning and it does help. I use the Glucernia ones for diabetes and my doctor told me to keep them up since I cannot eat eggs,milk. I will keep you in my prayers and please take care of yourself. Love ya

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2278 views