Salt

MerMer
on 11/17/09 7:48 pm
Hello All,

Does anyone else crave salt? The past couple of weeks I have a terrible craving for salt.

(deactivated member)
on 11/17/09 9:23 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I am not a doctor so you should check with your doctor or nutritionist but it  could mean that you are dehydrated. We frequently get that just after surgery and drinking more may curb it....

You may also be missing the amount of salt you used to get in food that we don't get now because we don't eat as much as we used to...

Hope that helps

Jackie

caroline2622
on 11/18/09 6:56 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Well put Jackie.   Drinking enough fluids is a big struggle for all of us no matter what type of surgery we have selected.  It could be you are experiencing part of a head hunger issues too.  

Salt is a big part of our lives whether we realize it or not.      .   I consider this to be just as bad as sugar.  Withdrawal can be hard to kick.     Have you read you nutritional listing on fresh meat.  OMG some as high was 600 mgs per serving!   Read all fresh meat.   Slaughter house are putting a liquid sodium to prolong its shelf life and gee it looks so pretty.     Then read the pre made boxes ... wow crazy how much salt per serving.   

Wegmans fresh meats are the only ones who guarentee no sodium additive.  

Alternatives to salt....... cook with garlic and onions.    leaf type spices are great alternatives to salt too.        Low sodium broths, gravies made with corn starch can enhance you tastebuds. 

You may want to talk you your nutrionist if any of the salt substitutes are safe.  I do not know much about them.     I do use a flavor enhancer call Veg-it..   low in sodium but is a great flavor.

I was never a ketup lover.   Now love it   go figure.    

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Toobcherished
on 11/21/09 1:46 pm - Henrico, VA
I have always been told this points to adrenal glands etc.  You will want to check your Iron and potassium levels.

Tanya

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views