update/prayer request/nd opinions...

Lisa W.
on 11/1/09 9:42 am - Charles Town, WV
RNY on 08/21/07 with
Hi all...

Tomorrow morning, I am heading back to Johns Hopkins to meet with the surgeon to discuss my next step in terms of battling these ulcers.  The episodes have increased in intensity and frequency and I'm so ready to be done with it. 
When I met with Dr. S, he offered me 3 options:  1) reverse the RNY and leave it at that.  2) Reverse the RNY and then do a VSG and 3) go in through my chest and cut the nerves that feed the acid production in my pouch. 
Number 3 was crossed off immediately because the nerves that are severed would be vital to digestion if the procedure didn't work and we ended up having to reverse.  I have thought about everything...done my research and prayed quite a bit and have decided to do option 2 and take the RNY to a VSG. 
This procedure has increased risks of a post op leak because they have to cross several staple lines.  However, it would still allow me to lose the rest of my weight and stay happier.  I feel like option 1 is too much for me...I can't fathom the thought of ever going back to 350 pounds...or even just gaining 50 or 60 pounds...I can't wrap my mind around it and it makes me upset to think about it.  So, I don't feel that is the option that would best suit all of my needs.

Sorry for the length of this post...but, for those of you who have had the VSG, how do you feel about your weight loss...did you lose what you wanted and feel good about the procedure?  Did any of you develop an ulcer at any point post op?  Would you do the VSG again or would you change it if you could go back?
I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm facing and the best place to find out is my support group! :-)
Lastly, please lift my family up in prayer.  This has all been so taxing on my family... my WHOLE family-including my parents, my in-laws, my children, etc.  It's just been so hard and now that we're facing the potential light at the end of the tunnel, the stress just seems unbearable.  I would just appreciate prayer/good thoughts/positive energy (whichever you believe in) for things to go smoothly and prayer especially for my sweet babies who always miss Momma SO much when I have to go to the hospital... for us to have a life without them wondering when Momma's going to be gone for a week would be fantastic.
We just want to move forward healthfully!
Thank you all so much for your continued support.  You all are amazing individuals.
Lisa
~~Theresa Marie~~
on 11/1/09 9:52 am - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Lisa, you know that I can relate to what you are going through and I am so sorry that you have to experience it. I can not imagine having to be faced with those 3 decisions and if you feel that #2 is the best option for you and your family, then know that you have my complete support and friendship!!! I will definitely pray for you.

I understand you wanting answers about the VSG process. If I understand it correctly, it is where a sleeve, instead of a pouch is formed. There is a girl on the main board, MidwesternGirl is her screen name, and she is a revision patient from a lap band to a sleeve. You may want to make a post on the main board asking for advice, opinions, etc and I am sure she will respond. She seems so full of knowledge regarding her procedure.

Again, I wish you luck, support you and your family in what you decide and am ALWAYS here for you! Please let ne know how things go tomorrow.
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/09 10:13 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Lisa I am sorry it has come down to only three choices - but the ulcers will kill you if they don't get it under control. My choice would be to change to the VSG rather than reverse the surgery too but I know it is a difficult decision to make.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family - good luck with your appointment and keep us posted.

Jackie
Melissa N.
on 11/1/09 11:03 am - Stafford, VA
Lisa,

Prayers coming to you.  If faced with that decsion I would probally do that.  I know Dr S is a fabulous surgeon.  He also specializes in the DS.  What that ever an option?  I know if I was faced with the three you were given, I would go for the VSG as well.  I hope the procedure goes well and you are able to find peace from these ulcers.  I know they are not fun!

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Ms Court
on 11/1/09 8:05 pm - Remington, VA
Praying for you & yours.  Hoping it all gets better quickly.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

prissy25
on 11/1/09 8:47 pm - Barboursville, VA
Lisa, I am sorry you are still having the issues w/ the ulcers, but I too would choose the 2nd option as well the VSG. I couldnt do the RNY reversal knowing how far Id came to take the chance in going back. God bless you and your family and prayers going up for a speedy recovery.
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Kitty Kat
on 11/1/09 11:15 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Lisa, wishing you all best with your appointment this am. Prayers being sent out & up.
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Lifeski
on 11/2/09 10:35 am
You are in great hands with Dr. S.  He is certainly one of the best and I would let him decide which one would be best for your health.   It all comes down to what is best for your health and honestly not a lot else matters.  

Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views