Healing

MerMer
on 10/30/09 8:21 am
Hello All,

How llong did it take your pouch to heal. I have had alot of problems eating solid foods. Sometimes I have pain while eating and can feel the food traveling through my body. It has gotten better to some degree. I talked with the nurse practioner in my surgeon's office and she states that my pouch is really senstive and is taking its time to heal. Has anyone else had this same problem or something similiar. Just curious to know what type of response you got from your surgeons office.

Please understand I am in no way trying to say that I don't believe or trust my surgeon. Just curious to see if anyone has had the same problem.

Kitty Kat
on 10/30/09 9:31 am - Richmond, VA
Good pm. I had a lot of trouble in the 1st year. My pouch was not accepting of solids nearly the entire year. I had to go back to liquids/soft foods several times. It was discovered over a year twice that I had a stricture & bleeding ulcer.

By your note it reads you are about 4 months post-op. Try to seek advice from the NP on what foods they will allow since its different with each surgeon & their suggestions post op. If you are having issues with specific foods stop eating them for a week and then go back to them. If they have the same reaction in your body then leave them alone for a while.

Unfortunately our pouches are very grouchy for some time. I wish you all best.

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Ms Court
on 10/31/09 12:42 am - Remington, VA
I was lucky in that I didn't have much issues at all with my pouch but as stated before, all are different.  Try to journal what you are having issues with.  If it is certain types of dense solids, things that are high in fiber or something spicy, oniony, acidy, etc.  perhaps you need a break from those.  Sometimes it is a lot easier to see it in black & white.  Sometimes still at 4 years out I can feel my food traveling.  The chewing factor & eating slowly are key and make a big difference.  Hope things even out for you soon.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Tam
on 10/31/09 12:57 am - Richmond, VA
Like Kat I was diagnosed with 2 strictures during the first year (actually during the first 5 months for me) and was back on solids and liquids for most of that time.  As a result I stayed on them for several more months just because my pouch was still finicky.  Everyone is different but don't give up on foods...just push then aside if they dont work now and revisit them later.  i was on softer things for the better part of the first year.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

prissy25
on 10/31/09 10:46 am - Barboursville, VA
All have given great advice and I would follow up as well w/ your surgeons office  as they have said. I was on a feeding tube for a few months  due to the fact of unable to keep anything down so yes we have had different  experiences. Just keep working with your surgeon and  NP and nutritionist and they will come up w/ a plan fit for you. Though what you can eat this week may not agree with you next week and so on its all a trial and arrow kinda  game for a while. Best of luck and keep us posted as to how your doing. 
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Lisa W.
on 11/1/09 9:53 am - Charles Town, WV
RNY on 08/21/07 with

I had similar issues and, like Kat, I was found to have a stricture.  It's a fairly common complication and pretty easy to fix.  Just keep a close eye on what you're eating-maybe a food journal-and see if there are certain foods that set it off or if it's everything.  Making sure you're chewing, eating slowly, etc...and if you're doing it all correctly and still having issues, I would suggest that you talk to your GI doc and see about getting a scope.
Lisa

(deactivated member)
on 11/1/09 10:01 am, edited 11/1/09 10:01 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I am sorry that you are having so much trouble with your pouch - I know they can be pretty temperamental at times. Luckily for me I have not had any issues with food at all so I have been very lucky! But I do sympathies with your plight and would advise that you just keep a close eye on it - write down when you feel pain so you can identify what foods  do not agree with it , but try those foods again a little while later because as your pouch becomes less sensitive you may be able to eat them again....

Good luck and I am sure there are others here who can give you advice who had similar issues....

Jackie
Melissa N.
on 11/1/09 11:11 am - Stafford, VA
Hey Mer. I am sorry you are having so many issues with food.  I think everyone has given you great advise.  The food journal would be great.  I had some food intolerenceinthe begining.  maybe 3 months.  And now with the two ulcers I can have my good days and my bad. When I can eat though, it is softer food because denser foods send me over the edge...  I would also recomend go to a GI dr for a scope.  There are some things going on that you can not see.The only times I have had with pain and eating are when I eat to much and I corrected that quick.  And with the ulcers.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views