18days and clueless

coolcrewof4
on 10/25/09 11:18 am - Gloucester, VA
Okay I thought I was ready for this wole WLS lifestyle I read and listened to the seminars.  Now that I am living it I am clueless.  I have no clue what to eat, I know this sounds stupid but really.  Everything tastes blah or like metal.  There are good carbs bad carbs good fats bad fats there is protein and fiber and and and!!

I was open the box eat the crap inside kind of gal.  I have never been a great meal planner pre-op and feel even worse at it post op.  I am on soft food stage so if I can mash with a fork it can cross my lips.  Yet, I have no clue what to put on my fork.  I want to lose weight (duh we all do) However, I think I put more strain on myself to see the scale move because of the cruise we want to go on with friends in Feb.  I just dont' want to be a huge 200 lbs "fat girl" if you know what I mean.  SO I worry about what I should eat.

I can't comsume too much Whey protein it doesn't like me.  The smell of the protein powders amke me gag.  I did buy unjury and I so far like mixing that in yogurt. 
Tips tips tips!!

Oh one more thing..how many of you all joined a gym after WLS did you really use it.  Swimming laps sounds so nice to me but I don't have an indoor pool, strugglin to decide

Journey began October 7, 2009-- HW 294 SW 281 CW 185  long term goal 140

vagirl00
on 10/25/09 11:55 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Congrats on the surgery!  You are literally beginning a "journey of a lifetime!"

First and foremost, be sure you are following the directions regarding foods and food stages given to you by your surgeon's office.  It is really important to do what they tell you...I can't stress that enough! 

As far as protein:  Since you aren't having any luck with the whey protein powders -- have you tried the Isopure flavored drinks in the bottles (different fruity flavors)?  You can get them at the Vitamin Shoppe and GNC.  They are a little more expensive than powders, but each bottle is 40g of protein, so you can drink half of a bottle at a time (pour into a glass over ice).  They worked well for me when I was first out of surgery.  I was able to transition to the powders a little later. 

Tastes:  Your tastes will change over time.  You'll have to "play around" with foods to find what works best for you at different times.  Believe it or not, sometimes you will have something that works, and then a little while later...no go.  It's strange, but can happen.

Gym:  I joined Curves a month after surgery and it worked great.  It was just what I needed because as I gained strength, the machines provided more resistance.  Absolutely no regrets joining!  Exercise is going to be a very important component to you losing weight, keeping it off and leading a healthy lifestyle.

Don't stress out about your weight loss.  What is important is that you follow your surgeon's directions regarding your food, liquids and supplements.  Your health will depend on it! 

Hope this helps!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

(deactivated member)
on 10/25/09 11:56 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with

Well it certainly sounds like you need some help! Don't despair - we all had to learn to eat right, to understand labels and plan out eating - I don't think just because you can ma**** with a fork means you should necesarily eat that.... if you don't relearn how to eat now you will struggle once your honeymoon  period is over....

My first piece of advice to you would be to go see your nutritionist and chat with them because they should tell you what your particular surgeon says you should be eating right now...   and for the next few weeks.....

If you don't get any help there I would be happy to discuss this further with you and give you some ideas of things you can eat at this stage  - like tuna, salmon, chili, oatmeal, thick soups, eggs, cheeses, cottage cheese etc there are still many things you can eat and aslo many things you can add Unjury too because you really do need protein to keep your strength up as you can't get enough protein from just food.... I am sure others will be able to tell you what they eat at this stage too

Jackie

SWEET Tink
on 10/25/09 12:54 pm
HEY ... It does get better sweety ... I know the feeling ... and boy do I remember the metal taste .
But like Jackie , I must say your nutritionist is the frist place to start .. or your surgeon .
Did they give you any hand outs at the seminars you can refer back to?  I know for me .. I was given what we called the " green book " While it was not the cure all .. it did answer some of the questions you are asking .

For me , I found so many foods that I could make work , But not knowing what your surgeons protocol is , would be wreck less for me to give you my advice ... as we all have different protocols.
As to protein , you really do need to find one you are going to like .. or can at least tolerate . This is very important in your weight loss .
Here are some brands you can try .
NECTAR - This taste almost like a juice .. you mix it with water .. Me I mix it with water and crystal lite.
Muscle Milk Lite
AchievOne --- Coffee Based protein drink ., The new formula is different now . but some like it .

Do not put so much pressure on yourself to lose the weight ., It will happen , but it is up to you as to how much and how fast .
I tell the ones I mentor .. Protein+Water+Exercise = Weight loss ...
And yes .. I did join a gym .. and used it .. for the first 8 months . I swam most of the time I was there .. and in 4 months had lost almost 100 pounds . But .. you cannot gage yourself on how I did . we all lose at different rates . AS I said .. it is all in what you want . Exercise is so important in our journey .  But to lose weight .. you do not need a gym .. all you really need is your two feet .. get to walking .. or join an aerobic class .. or jazzerise .

If you want I can share with you some nutricional info I have .
Let me know if you would like it via PM .

Thanks,

Natalie

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

coolcrewof4
on 10/25/09 1:16 pm - Gloucester, VA
My surgeon is pretty laid back to be honest.  I need to state for the most part I am a vegetarian so I dont eat fish.  On occassion I will eat chicken and turkey.  His instructions are soft foods like tuna salad, chicken salad, egg salad, cream soups and find some protein you can stomach.

He did say I can use my soybean "meats"  (things made by morning star, Loma Linda vege foods, Worthington Foods in place of the meats I don't eat.  I can have yogurts, puddings, refried beans (but  the  skins make me gag) 

I do have to eat 4 oz at a time or I guess I should say no more then 4 oz.  I so get teh protein+water+exercise= Weight loss I am gonna post that in my house.  I am adding unjury to my yogurt to get more protein.  I suck on ice chips all the time and am learning to sip. 

Help any of you out on advice?  Tink I will pm you

SWEET Tink
on 10/25/09 5:13 pm
You really know how to challenge a gal now huh ? Vegitarian ., I was happy to see that you will eat chicken and turkey . I think for me .. the first 3 years I was a vegitarian , I did no red meat at all ... chicken and turjey did not settle with me at all .

I am sure working together we can get you on your way ! 

I look forward to hearing from you ,

Tink

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

Kitty Kat
on 10/25/09 11:23 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am! You've gotten some great responses here. I wanted to add a couple things. I have never been able to tolerate powder protein or powders in general. I drink EAS AdvantEDGE Carb Control Ready to Drink protein drinks. You can get them at Walmart or Target @ $4.99 a 4-pack. They do have Whey Protein in them so maybe not your best option although worth trying to see if you can handle them. I have drank AchievOne's in the past. They are great however, its a cost issue with me.

Your taste buds are going to change a lot. Mine still do. Try to focus on what works for now & change things up by adding more or going back to things that may not have worked in the past. I'm not a Vegetarian so unfortunately I don't have many tips there. However, in reading my surgeon's handbook here are some suggestions of things you might try & their protein information:

Almonds 1 cup = 26 grams of protein
Bean 1/2 cup = 8 grams
Cottage Cheese 1/2 cup = 14 grams
Chicken breast 4 ounces = 32 grams
Skim milk 1 cup = 8 grams
Peanut Butter 2 tablespoons = 9 grams
Yogurt 1/2 a cup = 4 grams

Snacks that are good sources:
Fresh fruit (I've learned watermelon is NOT friendly - too much natural sugar, grapes are tough skin wise however I've learned freezing them works GREAT, apples peeled work best)
Tomato slices
Avacado slices
Hard boiled eggs
Sunflower seeds (I personally cannot eat these)

Here is a web site I found that lists 100 Most Protein Filled Vegetarian Foods. Hope it helps some. http://smarterfitter.com/blog/2007/10/28/100-most-protein-rich-vegetarian-foods/

As for the gym: nope, I walk 3-5 days per week. Not a fan of being enclosed. I love nature & the ability to be able to change my path day to day & not have it be repetitive & boring. This includes where I walk, the type of walking path (concrete, gravel, dirt), hills, flat etc.

Wishing you all best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Ms Court
on 10/25/09 11:26 pm - Remington, VA
Welcome to teh board!  Sounds like you do need some guidance.  There are so many choices out there.  I hated the softies stage because it made me feel so abnormal that I couldn't eat like everyone else.  What helped me the best was knowing there were so many people on the board who understood.

I always just took my regular meals (lean meats & veggies) and but them in the blender then ate.  In your case I would say the same, take what you would normally eat and blend.  Of course no you need to monitor the amounts of fat, sugar, carbs, but it is doable.  Tuna, Egg & Chicken salad are great choices, yougurts, oatmeal, grits, cream of wheat, cottage cheese, beans, sweet potatoe, and look at all those choices to add the protein too.  Remember to that lactose intolerance can occur after surgery so it could be milk or dairy procuts that are upsetting your stomach.  The unflavored or fruity flavored protiens with water or crystal light are good choices if you are having a hard time.  Just keep trying different ones til you can find something that works, it is so important to get your protein in.

I did lots of different exercise options right after surgery.  Water aerobics, belly dancing, and tehn I joined the gym.  I used it a lot and am disappointed that I can't afford it at teh moment as I would love to be in one now. 

Hope some of this helps!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

coolcrewof4
on 10/26/09 12:31 am - Gloucester, VA
thanks for all the tips

caroline2622
on 10/26/09 6:15 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Cindy and Jackie have said it all very well.   Early on we all have to deal with changes in our taste buds.    Mix things with gravies and custards, yogurts (jus****ch the sugar content. 

For me my savior was my nutritionist and my booklet they gave us.  Great reminders on balance meals and samples.   I still use it.  Where you are a vegatarian you really need to be in close contact with a nutrutionist.     

As a weightloss patient you must get yourself on a schedule.  when to take vitamins, drink and eat.   It creates good working habits.    By the way the nutritionist had us make the schedule.   I pretty much keep to it today.

I am not telling you this is easy WLS sister.  Just know that each day gets a bit easier.   if you need to chat PM and we can talk. 

If you can network with other WL patients and trade samples.   Online companies have samples too.   

Keep in touch   Take care

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views