Blue Cross Blue Shield

d_n_lear
on 10/23/09 1:41 pm - VA
Hey Guys,

My insurance starts Nov 1st. I have Blue Cross Blue Shield. Has anyone had them??? If so what has your expierence been like?

I am looking for a Dr in the Roanoke area...I have found three that  I will some information....

Danie
Kitty Kat
on 10/23/09 10:43 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Danie,

I didn't have Blue Cross Blue Shield when I had my surgery done. I wanted wish you all best & that there are some folks here who have used them. I hope you get the help you are looking for. :)

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

caroline2622
on 10/23/09 11:42 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Danie     Depends on the employers type of insurance.  I am BCBS Federal.    The Feds have a rider for WLS.    You need to make sure there is a rider for WLS and what your deductables are.  They are all different.    You should be able to check online for doctors who accept the insurance.

Best of luck and keep in touch     Caroline

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
SWEET Tink
on 10/24/09 6:46 am

Danie,
5 years ago I had them for my weightloss surgery .
I had several co-morbities. I did not have to do a 6 month Dr. Supervised weigtloss ..
My paperwork went in on a Weds morning .. and by noon the same day I was approved and given a date .
Now will it work that way with you ? I don't know . Their policies change over the years .
If I where you , I would call them to see how their process works now .
Also , once your paperwork is sent in ... I would call them as much as you want . They told me then they did not care how often I called as it was my life they held in their hands and they where there to help me .

I now have BCBS Federal and I love them .. they do not turn anything down for me . z
Just stay on top of them .. and especially if you have co-morbities .. I think you will be fine in getting approval ... but like I said .. that ws then ... and now is a different ball game .

Good Luck to you ,
TInk

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

Tam
on 10/24/09 7:15 am - Richmond, VA

I work for Anthem BCBS and it really depends on your policy and what riders and exclusions your employer has chosen.  It does not really matter if it is HMO, PPO, FEP or COVA...it all depends on what the purchaser (your employer) has decided to cover and not cover.  PM me if you have any specific questions I may be able to help you with.  I've been there for 14 years.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Toobcherished
on 10/24/09 8:15 am - Henrico, VA
I have Anthem BCBS PPO but I also work for a very large private company.  I didnt have to do the six month diet or anything.  All I need was 1 psych eval and 1 meeting with the nutritionist they submitted my paperwork and received approval the same day.  Do yourself a favor and call Anthem and ask them!  It will take the guess work out of most of it.

GL

Tanya

After you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, will Himself perfect, confirm, strengthen and establish you.
1 Peter 5:10

Penny Denny
on 10/24/09 9:27 am - Collinsville, VA
 I HIGHLY recommend Dr. Lucktong in Roanoke. He is wonderful. He did my bypass in April 08 and my gallbladder surgery last week. He is easy to talk to and I felt very comfortable with him. He never rushes through your appts. At every visit with him, I would meet with the nurse, the physicians asst,  and the nutritionist. I love his staff as well. They have support group meetings the first Monday of every month. Also, he is a member of the "circle of excellence".

You can call their office at 540-342-6346. They mail a packet out to you and the process starts there.(at least that is how I did it)

I had BC/BS with a weight loss rider. Feel free to ask me any questions. I live near Martinsville.

Best wishes, Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Katie C.
on 10/24/09 1:24 pm - VA
I have BCBS, but my employer chose not to include obesity medical care in it's plan...make sure you specifically ask your benefits office if it is part of your plan.
Katie
Lynn415
on 10/24/09 1:51 pm - Chantilly, VA
I have Carefirst BC/BS through Fairfax County Public Schools.   My RNY was covered but i was required to do the 6 months with a nutritionist first.  Once I did the 6 months and submitted the paperwork, I was approved within a week.  The required two co-morbidities which I had.
Surgery 4/15/09 - 294 lb.
At goal   2/15/10 - 160 lb.
Currently:  ... and for the rest of my life:  Figuring out maintenance.
(deactivated member)
on 10/24/09 10:46 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I had BCBS Fed for my surgery and it was remarkably easy - I did not have to so any medical diets or evaluations and was approved in 4 days because the weekend was in the middle so really a day or two - it was wonderful.....

At work now I will be changing to BCBS for Verizon and I am not sure if they have the same coverage so I am trying to find out. It depends if there is a rider or not.

My best advice would be the one I am taking - call them and ask what they cover for Weight Loss Surgery...

Good luck! And welcome to the board!

Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views