So - tell me all about yourselves ........again!

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/09 4:47 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Melissa,

You know I remember the first time I met you and you have come such a long way since then - you don't even look like the same person!!  You were beautiful then and now you are just gorgeous!! 222lbs down is just tremendous!

You have done amazingly well and are such a good example to others!! Congratulations!!

Jackie
Ken Currin
on 10/14/09 12:28 pm - South Hill, VA
My name is Ken, I am 47 and have been married for 24 years (if we make it to 11/23 )
We have 3 children and 1 grand child, since I am not old enough to be a granddad I am not sure what that makes me.

I own a computer business and have had a few other failed businesses that I owned during the last 20 years or so and have always been active in our town with various organizations. And have always been over weight. I had thought about WLS for many years before deciding to bite the bullet and "just do it"

I did a lot of research and did all of the preliminary work (ie, insurance, doctors, etc.) before I even broke the news to my wife. I knew she would try and talk me out of it and encourage me to try to diet one more time. I thought my parents would be the same, but actually was very supportive along with my wife.

I had reached 360lbs, wearing a tight 48" pants, could have used 50" but refused to move up. Shirts were 5XL and I got tired thinking about walking across the floor. I ate a lot of the wrong foods and got zero exercise.

I had what had to be the perfect WLS experience. I had Open RNY on 10/27, which was a Monday, came home on Thursday, went to work on Friday and Trick or Treating that evening. Back to work on Monday and have not had a piece of trouble at all. My weight loss is pretty much at a stall, but I feel I am not doing anything to move it. I really don't cheat with the really bad stuff, but I don't always eat the low fat food. I have stuck to the no sugar and love Splenda.

I have lost 133lbs and weigh in at 227lb now. I have gone from the tight 48 to loose 36 pants and wear XL shirts now. One of the greatest things is to be able to go into a store and buy cloths right off the shelf and have to put some back to get a smaller size. There are so many other things which we all know, like being able to fit into booths, cross our legs, more active in almost everything, riding roller coasters, being able to bend down and tie your shoes, putting a new hole in your belt, don't care if somebody takes your photo and the list goes on and on. The other day I rode those little go carts at the beach and my next thing I want to do is raft or tube down the James River up in the mountains. I also have my pilots licenses and it is so great flying now wear I feel small sitting in the plane instead of wearing the plane. Also, I volunteer at the NASCAR track 3 times per year and my stomach used to tight on the steering wheel and be black at the end of the day, now there is a lot of space between me and the steering wheel.

I still get a lot of people that don't even recognize me and I feel like our kids are not embarrassed to introduce me to their friends. Our eight year old keeps be running and I can keep up with him now.

I do have a lot of loose skin, legs and stomach mainly. I would love to get that all fixed but due to the economy my funds are very low. I lost my insurance and have not been able to keep my appointments with the surgeons office and will be coming up on my one year make this month. My wife lost her job, but was lucky enough to get a new job the next day making the same thing PLUS has 20 days of vacation, life, health, dental and eye insurance, plus 401k, etc. So I have insurance now, or should be covered soon, I think we are just waiting on the card. Not sure if anything pertaining to WLS will be covered but we will see.

Not sure what else to say about me, I really need to buckle down and try to eat better, still want to loose more weight. I do almost zero exercise other than being just more active.
(deactivated member)
on 10/15/09 1:12 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Hi Ken,

Thank you for joining you - you have had a great journey so far! It gets so much harder to lose weight when you are not far from goal and it does take that bit of extra perseverance to get us all the way to the end! 

And great news on now having insurance again - now we can hope your tests etc will be covered - it is very important to at least look after one year to see where your levels are and to keep reviewing that against future sets of tests to look for trends - especially downward trends - then you can fix things before you have a major issue....

It is hard to knuckle down but once you set your mind to it you can do it! First year is the honeymoon - it gets harder to maintain after that.

Thanks for joining in!

Jackie
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views