So - tell me all about yourselves ........again!

Ms Court
on 10/13/09 12:11 am - Remington, VA
Penny, just a warning so you aren't shocked, some people retain a lot of fluid & experience a small gain when they have the gall bladder surgery, don't be surprised if it happens to you & remember that it will come back off. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Penny Denny
on 10/13/09 6:30 am - Collinsville, VA
Yes, I had thought about that. I gained weight when I had my gastric bypass. Thanks.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

prissy25
on 10/12/09 9:32 pm - Barboursville, VA
Hi Ms Jackie,

I'm Melinda best known as Ms Prissy I'm rolling up on my 4Th year on Halloween w/ a loss of 203 pounds to date started @ 410. My journey has been pretty smooth and I am a leader of a support group here in Charlottesville called FFP's with a wonderful group a lady's and gent's. I have had the group for almost 4 years and they have gotten me through some rough times.
I have had some plastic surgery and working towards my TT in December lord willing. By all means this journey has not been a picnic but it saved my life in which back in 2005 I was  told  loose the weight or die so  praise the Lord things  started happening for me and  I was able to get this tool. And yes it's a tool not a easy  way out by any means. And anyone who thinks it is better go back and do more research or ask any of us here because we can fill you in on the ins and outs of the everyday emotional and physical and hard work and determination this journey will take. So just come to any of us and ask us. That's what this board is here for.
  Glad to see ya back Jackie .
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 9:49 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Thanks for joining in Melinda - you were one of the first people on the board that I got to know.  You have done great - over 200lbs is a tremendous weight loss !! Good luck on the plastic surgery - a little painful at the time but so worth it!

Melinda's Support Group is great so if you live in that area you should check it out!

Good to see you still here!

Jackie
dlo2
on 10/12/09 9:56 pm - Brandenburg, KY
Hi Jackie, My name is Debbie, I am 54 years old. I have three grown daughters and 6 grandchildren.  I had my RNY on Sept. 8th and am new to this journey.  So far I am doing good.  My weight loss seems a little slow, but I am losing.  This is a life changing surgery of which I am still adjusting too,  I am still on the soft food stage until the end of this week.  I am still wondering if I will ever be able to eat normal food again.  This board helps keep my spirits up because I can see the progress others have made and know that there is hope for me as well.  Thanks for introducing yourself.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 10:31 pm - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Hi Debbie,

Thanks for joining in!

The journey can be pretty scary in the beginning, especially when you can barely eat anything - but it does change - trust me, I wi**** always stayed the same but it doesnt - you will eat normal food again! And if you dont change all of your habits now you will certainly struggle when the honeymoon period is over - I was a slower loser too at the end but fairly fast at the beginning - we are all different and we all will lose if we do everything that we are told by the nutritionists and exercise regularly.

You will adjust to this new life style and we are all here to help - I see you live in Stafford - please consider attending our support group where you can meet people face to face and talk and interact - that is very helpful and you will also see what is coming down the road for you.... if you PM  me your email address I will add you to our distribution list.... our next meeting will be in November....

I look forward to getting to know you better!

Jackie

Kitty Kat
on 10/12/09 10:34 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am. I'm Kat & am 32 years old and blessed to be the mom of 2 beautiful buggas ages 8 1/2 & 4 1/2. I had Lap RNY coming up on 7 years at the end of Jan 2010. I've been a member of OH over 7 years now. I've had an amazing journey thus far! I lost 178 lb & have since had some setbacks although NOTHING I cannot handle with the help of the Lord, my docs & fam & friends who are extremely supportive.

In my journey I've faced much adversity (strictures, alcohol addiction, vitamin deficiencies, additonal surgeries; other health issues) yet still successful. RNY truly has given me a 2nd chance at life. No matter the encounter I've pulled through & then some.

At this point, I'm back on track & have been for a couple months now & am interested to see where I'm headed in my journey. I too have had regain and am working diligently to get healthier. Its not about the number of the scale its about being healthy & making good choices. I'm pursuing much & am excited to see/learn about others.

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 10:45 pm, edited 10/13/09 4:05 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Kat, I think you are awesome to have overcome so much adversity in your life and still be there for others! I admire your journey to sobriety and your success there!  Addiction transfer is something we all have to watch out for - I maintain that we are all food addicts or we would never have gotten here in the first place.  I wish the government would fully realise that Obesity is a disease not just people being glutenous!

You have so much experience to offer this board as a long term Weight Loss Person and I am glad you choose to share your knowledge with us.

You are correct  this is about a journey back to better health for all of us - not a fashion statement or the lbs on the scale - there are many unhealthy very thin people too - we need the whole package! Without good health we can't enjoy many of life's pleasures!

I am glad the girls are doing well!

Good luck on the Back on Track - many of us are there right along side you!!

Take care

love ya!

Jackie

Lifeski
on 10/13/09 2:57 am
Hi,   I am 47 years old with four grown children and one grandchild. Until 2 years ago I would never have considered weight loss surgery. I weighed around 250 and was very happy. Then I quit smoking and gained 30 lbs mostly in my belly.   For the past 18 months I took part in the VBLOC clinical trials for weight loss. This consisted of an implant that was attached to the vagus nerve and also had an exterior belt to be worn. During this time I got great diet ideas and worked with a nurtritionist but did not lose weight. Some folks did really well. I did not.  I then started looking into surgery and liked the idea of the VSG but no local doctor performed this surgery and I had to have a doctor that could remove the VBLOC also because I did not want two surgeries. I decided I would get a lapband. Well my doctor felt it was not right for me and I refused to get an RNY (nothing against the surgery just not the surgery for me). Eventually I did more research and found a doctor at Johns Hopkins that can handle the VBLOC and the VSG. Right now I am in the process of getting everything setup and insurance approved. I fully expect a battle with the insurance company but I plan on fighting it as long as I need to.

I have mentally had to battle the disappointments an delays of this process but I have wonderful support from friends and my hubby. I have gone from thinking I could have surgery last June..then October…then November…and now whenever they can do it! My ideal weight is around 160 but I would be thrilled at anything below 200.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/09 4:01 am, edited 10/13/09 4:07 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Hi Teresa!

One thing you will learn from this process, is if you want something badly enough, be prepared to fight for it!!  Many of us had to fight to get the surgery and would do it all over again if we had to. So do not let anything stand in your way! Stand up for what you want and find a way to make it happen! You tried the VBLOC and it did not work for you but you can show the insurance that you did try!

The mental disappointments are the worst but here is where your support board comes in - we will help cheer you on - also it would not do any harm to try and find your way to a local support group - many groups don't care what surgery you had or are having - they will help you in any way they can and at the end of the day, we are all here to be healthier! Often listening to their experiences will help you get some good ideas.

Especially don't let the insurance companies bully you - they can be good for that and some turn you down the first time to see if you will fight back.  You will get many setbacks but the important thing to remember is that YOU are doing it for YOU - the insurance companies have no vested interest in you as a person - it is all admin to then  - so please try not to take it personally  - I would also advise you to record the name and number of everyone you talk to in case you need to refer back to your notes.

You seem a very determined lady - let that determination fight with you and you WILL get the surgery you want!!  We are here when you need support or just to vent! We have all done it!

Thanks for joining in!

Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views