So - tell me all about yourselves ........again!

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 7:24 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
It has been a while for me and I see lots of new faces - it is never too late to tell people who we are and how we got to where we are - so let's have a status check for new people and for older ones like me - don't understimate how inspiring your stories can be to everyone!!

So I will start:

My name is Jackie, I am 52 with a 6 year old son - yes he is mine lol!  Menopausal surprise! I had RNY almost 4 years ago in Feb. I lost 135lbs or so and I am fighting a little regain - I am back on target and focused! It is hard to lose weight when you are so stressed - but that is no excuse - I know what I need to do and I will do it  - I know the tool keeps working if I use it right. I dont want my small gain to become uncontrollable - but I know many are in this spot  - we can fix this! Never too late!

I am so much healthier since my surgery - no more diabetes, no more high blood pressure - just more energy to run after my son. Although divorcing,  I am pretty sure my weight loss had nothing to do with it because there were issues way before then - but we have a much higher incidence for marriage break ups than non ops - so how can we know for sure?

I also had some plastic surgeries so the proud owner of new girls that are perkier than my own natural ones have ever been!  It has been a long journey but worth it! One more corrective surgery next year on my knees and I am done!!

I help run a Support Group in Fredericksburg with Sue Baker that will get back up and running in November and if you want support , this is the place to come - no judgements- just help and support.

I still need to exercise more - still can't find a way to totally enjoy it all the time - but I am getting there - you can find me at Gold's Gym in Fredericksburg most evenings around 5-6pm.... or at least you will!!!! I also do some Saturday mornings........ Sunday is my day of rest lol! Join me if you need an exercise companion!

So please join with me in telling everyone about yourself, your journey, your challenges and share your successes. We are all here to support each other.

By the way,  I am not trying to take over the board - we don't need a leader - everyone here makes up the board and has a valuable contribution to make  - I just want to get to know everyone again and especially get to know the newer people here that I have not spoken to and for everyone else to get to know each other..... the most precious gift we have is that we are a community that has something in common with each other and we can help one another because of that uniqueness.

So even if you are a lurker - come out and speak up - you have as much to offer as more vocal people like me!!

Come on - who wants to come out to play???

Jackie
Ms Court
on 10/12/09 7:57 am - Remington, VA
Hiya Jackie!

So at 31 years old, married for the second time, stepmom to two teenage daughters, almost 4 years post op, I am fighting a 20 lb gain from  my lowest of 155.  I lost 150 lbs after RNY.  I know a big part of my problem is not exercising and I could give you all the excuses I give myself but basically it boils down to I have to make  the time & effort.  I do have some issues with my food choices but I have been working on that a lot more lately.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 7:59 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
I share your pain on the regain - but we can do this - we know the theory but the practise is a bit harder - it is a pity they don't give us a labotomy when they do our surgery too lol!

You look great though Courtney!!

Jackie
caroline2622
on 10/12/09 8:08 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
We total understand Courtney.     I am constantly  struggling with getting to the gym or just working out at home.   

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
caroline2622
on 10/12/09 8:06 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Welcome back Jackie!   Thank you for telling your story.  Great idea as there are I am sure newbies that are interested in our stories.

My name is Caroline.   I started my journey at 344 lbs.   I have no medical issues with the exception of advance degenerative arthritis and had a knee replacement 9 years ago.    I had Vertical Sleeve Gastarectomy on July 30, 2008.   I have been blessed with this surgery.   3/4 of my stomach was removed. I have no malabsorbtion issues.    When full I feel full in the lower stomach, unlike the RNY and Banders tend to have higher pressure when full.    Only issues I have found has been with soy sause and butter rich foods.  Both items that I definately do not need in my diet.   

My success has been following the recommendations of the Nutritionsist and eating a balanced meal, vitamins & protien drink suppliments.      I have lost 123 lbs.

My issues have been heavy loss in the gut area.   I  have been experiencing lower back pain.    Been working with a physical therapist who eased me into the gym.  I am not working with a personal trainer.  I could not have done this without her. 

I am currently working with  Dr Mo and Kreigel for have 2 small henia repairs & a full front and back lower body lift.     No guarantee it will help with my back pain but will definately hep with my continued workouts and all round better health and looking better. 

.  Any one interested in the VSG are welcome to chat with me.     I was lucky that my insurance co paid for the surgery.  More insurance co.'s are approving this WLS.  

WLS surgery is a tool.  Our eating bahavior must be a life time change.   

I hope you will all tell us about your journey

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 8:18 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with
Thanks for taking part Caroline - I left you a couple of messages today...

That is a great explanation on the vertical sleeve - I may have considered that if it had been offered it but it wasn't an option at that time. I hope anyone considering it will get in touch with you!

You are doing great - 123lbs is an incredible amount of weight to lose! You should be proud of yourself - your impending surgery may indeed help your back and even if it doesn't, with all that loose skin gone, you will probably have lost another 10-15lbs lighter - and your clothes will fit better too!

I hope others will step forward and tell us their experiences no matter what surgery they had - at the end of the day they are all tools - the main hard work is up to us to eat differently as you correctly pointed out - it is for life!

Good to chat with you

Jackie
Lisa W.
on 10/12/09 9:22 am - Charles Town, WV
RNY on 08/21/07 with
Hiya Jackie!  So good to see you!  :-)

I will start with a disclaimer...I am the exception to the rule...I have not had the normal post op journey.  That being said...

I am Lisa.  I am 32 years old and I am 2 years post op RNY.  I have two kiddos who will be 8 and 6 in February and they are fantastic.  They are both in school full time and doing SO well.  Makes this mommy proud!  I have had a post op complicated by recurring ulcers.  We're not sure why they keep happening as we've tried just about everything you can imagine to fix it. 
For example...for some people coffee/tea, high acidity in foods, etc. will irritate the stomach lining and an ulcer may form.  Same is true for chewing gum, sucking on hard candies, etc....these begin the acid producers and can cause an ideal environment for ulcer formation.  There is also the possibility of a foreign body...a staple (or surgical clip) can get in a funny place and irritate.  I have had all of these issues...stopped all of the food stuff, still got ulcers. 
So, I am being treated now by a surgeon at Johns Hopkins who is going to do a surgery in a few weeks to hopefully provide a "fix." 

On the great news front...I have lost 160 pounds total.  I have gained about 15 pounds back but, have found that I prefer what I look like with just a little bit of meat on my bones!  LOL...I am healthy for the most part.  I can chase my kiddos around and feel better than I felt when I weighed 350 pounds!  I am also in the midst of divorce but, as Jackie said...the cause of the divorce is not the WLS...the issues were there years before.  Turns out, we're ALL happier just being friends and working together to raise our kids!  :-)

I do not normally post because there isn't a lot I feel like I can contribute in the normal post op journey.  However, I am available for anyone who has questions about ulcers/strictures, etc.  I can also be found on Facebook.
Good luck to everyone and keep up the good work!

Lisa
(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 9:45 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with

Hi Lisa,

I was wondering how you were doing - I was in Charlestown WV on Saturday - didn't realise you lived there now.... I am sorry to hear about your divorce - it is always hard on everyone so keep  your chin up and remember we are here to help support you through your journey....

I hope they find a cure for your ulcers - a reversal surgery is not what you want I know. But it is good for pre-ops to know there are risks with this surgery - it is a life changing surgery and should not be gone into lightly - but also there are exceptions that have some rough times too - but would still do it all over again to lose the excess weight!

Even though I have had a little weight gain I am not sure that I am really unhappy with it either as I am being told I look much healthier and not so skeletal - but somehow I feel better looking  as thin as I feel I can be lol   All conditioning I guess.... but I know the important thing is to be healthy and I am healthy!

Dont be a stranger!

Jackie

Penny Denny
on 10/12/09 11:31 am - Collinsville, VA
Ok, so I love to talk about ME!!!!

I'm about 18 months out and have lost 121 pounds. I feel great and would do this again in a minute. I wear a size 10. I would like to lose at least 7 more pounds so I can have a "normal" BMI. I did hit a stall, but that was me not making the best choices and got a little lazy. I am back to exercising more and cutting out the bad carbs.

I'm getting my gallbladder out on Monday due to gallstones. I don't think I will ever do plastic surgery, I'm a little scared and feel my money needs to be spent on the kids college fund. I have a little loose skin, but no one sees it other than hubby and he's not complaining.

If not for this board, I may not have had the surgery. So many people have been an inspiration to me, and I hope I can pass it along. I just wish I had done this years ago.

Thanks for listening.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

(deactivated member)
on 10/12/09 11:41 am, edited 10/13/09 4:04 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 02/22/06 with

Hiya,

You are doing so great !!! I have been so impressed with your progress! It is easy to fall back onto bad choices - I have been eating too many protein bars - they are like chocolate to me so I am done with them now! I cant  leave them alone - yet in moderation they are good for us...so it is easy to fall off the track without being really very bad....

Good luck with the gallbladder surgery! We will be routing for you!  And it will take away some pain you are probaby suffering from.....

I am sure you have a lot to pass on and the posts you have been doing are great!! Keep up the good work - we are all here to help one another and you are off to a great start on giving back!

Thanks for playing!

Jackie

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views