VCU Health System/Lap-Band

hotred1
on 10/8/09 11:42 pm - Chesterfield, VA
Question? I've been searching on the website for reviews from anyone who has had the Lap-Band procedure done at VCU.  I've seen many individuals who have had the RNY procedure, but I want to know about any reviews from Lap-Band recipients?  Tell me about your experiences.

Tam
on 10/9/09 1:41 am - Richmond, VA
I do  not have any info on lap band or VCU as a surgery site (I had RNY and it was done at St. Marys) but I wanted to wish you the best of luck.  If you have any questions regarding my procedure I would be happy to share.

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

hotred1
on 10/9/09 6:42 am - Chesterfield, VA
Thanks Tammy.
Lifeski
on 10/12/09 6:38 am
I was going to do the lapband at  VCU but they kept telling me they had such a mixed success rate with the band and I found it discouraging.  I think the doctors there are great but when I went to a support group there was one bander there and she was not a "successful" bander so I decided to look at other options.  I know one of the nurses in the Stony Point office had a lapband placed a couple of months ago.  Good luck with your journey.  I am not sure which doctor you are seeing but I felt very pressured to have a RNY.  If you are sure the band is what you want stick to it.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

hotred1
on 10/13/09 2:49 am - Chesterfield, VA
Thanks for your comment.  I hope you held your guns and stuck to what you really feel is right for you. Hope all goes well.

AmyLee2553
on 10/13/09 6:16 am - Amherst, VA
I had RNY at VCU on 7/17/09.  It's the best thing I ever did for myself.  I can tell you the care is great as are the physicians and entire team. 

I think a lot depends on your health issues/co-morbidities.  I too wanted the band but Dr. Kellum said he thought I'd do much better with the RNY as I have diabetes, hyperlipidemia, high blood pressure, pretty much all the obesity-related issues I can have.  He did say he'd do which ever surgery I chose, but he seemed to think the RNY would be more effective.  I'm REALLY glad I listened to him. 

At three months out, I have lost 60 pounds, am off my Insulin and one of my other diabetes meds (originally was on the three meds plus 100 units of INSULIN daily) and I'm off my BP meds (was on two originally).  I hope to shortly come off my Actos, another diabetes med.  My initial goal was only to come off my Insulin. 

Also, while I was in the process of my surgery, I met a really nice girl that worked at VCU that had the band and she was disappointed with the slow weight loss results.  I think a lot depends on your health issues and sometimes the insurance companies.

Even at 50, I feel like a new person.  Best of luck in whatever you decide.    VCU is also a Bariatric Center of Excellence - you'll be in good hands.  You also might want to go to the lap band forum on here.
Making positive changes...................
hotred1
on 10/15/09 1:16 am - Chesterfield, VA
 Thanks so much for your input and congrats and best of luck on your WL Journey.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views