Gastrogastric fistula and more surgery

elizabethbc
on 10/7/09 1:10 pm
Hi, Folks:

I have been undergoing tests and my doctor has now made the decision to do a revision surgery to repair two gastrogastric fistulas.  He said I'll be in the hospital for two nights (I only spent one night for the original surgery).  So, I will be having more surgery as soon as the insurance company approves it.  I'm seriously worried, although I know that I'm far healthier now than I was when I had my RNY four years and 175 pounds ago.  On the good side, he said I'll lose more weight because I'll have a new, small pouch again.  Yippee!!!!  If I could lose another 30-40 pounds, I will be down to my weight in high school.  That would make me really happy.

So, keep me in your thoughts.  I don't know the date yet, since we have to play the insurance waiting game.  I'll update as soon as I have details.

Peace,
elizabeth (Waynesboro)
Kitty Kat
on 10/7/09 10:27 pm - Richmond, VA
All best on your upcoming surgery. I hope its smooth & recovery is swift. :)
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

elizabethbc
on 10/8/09 11:39 am
Thanks, Kat and Courney:

I appreciate all the good thoughts and prayers.  I got so much support here when I had my first surgery, and it good to see some familiar faces here.

Peace,
elizabeth
Ms Court
on 10/7/09 10:56 pm - Remington, VA
Elizabeth I wish you the best on your revision.  Hopefully you will feel a lot better when it is all over.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Tam
on 10/7/09 11:21 pm - Richmond, VA
Elizabeth,

Prayers going up and out for you!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

elizabethbc
on 10/8/09 11:37 am
Thanks for the prayers. 

That is one adorable baby!

elizabeth
Tam
on 10/9/09 1:33 am - Richmond, VA
Thank you so much and I am happy to send prayers!  Claire is my angel!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Toobcherished
on 10/8/09 10:54 am - Henrico, VA
Did you have your original surgery with schroeder?  I have been waiting so long for surgery and wanted to know how long it took you to get a date after all the other requirements were complete.  Just curious, their are very few Schroeder patients on here.

Tanya
elizabethbc
on 10/8/09 11:34 am
Hi, Tanya:

Yes, my original surgery was with Dr. Schroder in August 2005.  I made my appointment in May, and had to wait until late July to see him.  After that, I went to class, met with the nutritionist, got my old therapist to write the necessary letter, and I got a surgery date that week.  At the time, I had federal employees Anthem, which didn't have any restrictions or conditions.  They approved it within 72 hours of receiving the letter, and they called me that day with the date.  After that, I had all the pre-op tests - lots of bloodwork, EKG, upper GI, arterial blood gas, etc.  I don't even remember all of the tests I went through. 

I think most of it depends on your insurance company and how persistent you are.  I called every few days, and it made a difference. 

Dr. Schroder is doing the revision, and to tell you the truth, I'm more scared about the revision than I was about the original surgery.  Before the weight loss, I figured I didn't have anything but weight to lose.  I had diabetes, high blood pressure, joint pain, depression, sleep apnea, high cholesterol...and I felt like crud.  So I figured, I'm going to die anyway if I don't do this, so let's get this done and I'll be fine. 

I had a lot of complications, though, including a hospital stay and pic line insertion for dehydration, six upper endoscopies for ulcers and one fistula...and now I have two fistulas and several really bad ulcers, and at more than four years out, I'm going to have more surgery.  I did lose a lot of weight, and all the health problems went away except the problems with the pouch. 

Would I do it again?  Yes, but I know a lot more now than I knew then.  Email off list if you'd like to talk.

Peace,
elizabeth
Toobcherished
on 10/8/09 12:42 pm - Henrico, VA
Thank you Elizabeth!  I had to wait to get into Dr. schroeder as well.  But your insurance and mine are almost identical.  My company (large private company) had no restrictions as well.  All I had to do was meet with nutritionist once,psch eval and thats about it.  Anthem approved me within hours.  The frustration has been with the doc and how long it has taken to even get a surgery date.  I just got my surgery date today via email and its been late august since I was approved.  I will definitly be keeping in touch.  Oh did they make you do a 2 week diet before hand.  My instructions havent said anything about a diet so far. 
Thanks!  Please keep in touch I want to know how your revision goes!  K?

Tanya
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views