Yucky Topic-Constipation...

Navytown Mom
on 10/1/09 12:19 am
Is this a common problem for RNY patients? How do most of you cope with it?

Brenda E.
on 10/1/09 12:35 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with

I dont know about everyone but have been dealing with it since my surgery 2 months ago.  I have begun taking fiber everyday and stool softners. 

Brenda

Kitty Kat
on 10/1/09 1:57 am - Richmond, VA
Good am! First & foremost check with your surgeon's office to inquire about their suggestions for your specific case. What works & is suggested for myself might not be what yours wants for you in your journey. That being said, fiber for sure does help move things along as well as eatining/drinking well. In addition, walking does wonders to get things moving!

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Navytown Mom
on 10/1/09 3:49 am
Thanks for the advice. I have been walking and I have not had any fiber or veggies since my surgery. They told me to concentrate on protein, which is why I think I have this problem. Today I did have 3 cooked baby carrots (very small ones) so maybe that will help.

caroline2622
on 10/1/09 6:59 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Interestng my diet on mushies and now is protien with 2 veggies or substitute SF fruit.  
Hospital NUT classes installed good eating regiment for life.    Just protein would most certainly plug you up.  We do need higher protien but you have to get in all the basic food groups to lead a healthly life.  It has to be  part of keeping the wieight off. 

Try cream of wheat or grits for fiber.  I add milk and blueberries with plain protien in the morning.  Whole wheat cereals (watch the sugar levels try for under 6 grams of sugar)   sick of eggs so I add the plain protien to my breakfast. 

Becareful with high fiber if not used to it.  Small amounts do it does not ruff you up. 
Carrots and broccolli are good too.   Try to get it in your natural foods.   Some lacitives are habit forming.  

Increase your fluid if you can as well.      I know the water makes a big difference

Take care

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Penny Denny
on 10/1/09 10:17 am - Collinsville, VA
I take 2 FiberChoice chewables. There is several options but I get the bottle that says" Fiber Choice plus Calcium and D, sugarfree". 2 tablets give you an extra 500mg of calcium.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ms Court
on 10/2/09 12:30 am - Remington, VA
Definietly having fiber & fulids in your diet is a big help.  Another thing that causes the constipation is our iron supplements.  I take an iron supplement that has vitamin c along with it & have only had constipation issues once since my surgery.  Perhaps you can check to see if you surgeon allows extra vit c.  This is actually something I had to do when I was a child (recommended by my pediatrician) because of constipation issues, it is a natural remedy.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views