Dumb question about mashed potatoes

PattiD13
on 9/26/09 9:25 am, edited 9/26/09 10:12 am - Marion, VA
I have a question about mashed potatoes that I was wondering about and thought I'd ask:
Is it ok to have them after surgery when you are in your soft food stage, or are they something you should try to avoid because of the carbs? I get confused about them!
Also, are potato flakes better than "real" ones?
Thanks,
~Patti
vagirl00
on 9/26/09 10:11 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with

Each surgeon seems to have different "rules" about food.  I would suggest you contact your surgeon/nutritionist and find out what they want you to do/not do.  Sorry I couldn't be more help. 

Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 9/26/09 12:50 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Like Cindy stated... You should contact your surgeon but according to my surgeons guidelines, I was able to eat them during the mushy phase which started the day of my 2 week post op check up. I was told that they are carbs we need to watch out for but were fine during that phase since we aren't able to consume much of anything. If you can have them, try adding unflavored protein to get that protein in.

But again, I'd ask your surgeon or nutritionist to make sure. And no question is a dumb question if you don't know the answer and learn from asking the question! Hugs to you!
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

SWEET Tink
on 9/26/09 2:20 pm
Patti ,
I am with the others on this one .. contact your Nut ,.. But I would like to enlighten you ,
I am currently studying to get my Personal Trainers Cert ... and in one of the chapters they tell us that White Potatoes have a few more carbs than Sweet Potatoes . Sweet potatoes also have more fiber ..
If you like sweet potatoes , I would go and ask if you could try mashed sweet potatoes instead of the white potato .  For me .. I want to save all the carb count I can ...
Also .. I have a yummy recipe for Mock Mashed pot ates .., You use Cauliflower .. Yes .. Cauliflower ,
You boil an entire head . You add low fat or skin milk .. and butter substitute , and mash ,.,. adding a small amount of salt and pepper to taste .,
I am telling you this satisfied my craving for mashed potatoes ,

I hope you get the answers from your Nutritionist soon ,
Hugs,
Tink

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

mommyhavingsurgery
on 9/27/09 2:02 am
I would ask your doctor.  Every doctor is different.  I was not allowed to have them.  I am allowed to have a few bites of mashed potatoes here and there now- 5 months out today - but was not allowed to at the very beginning.  I am looking forward to your surgery Patti!!!  Call me if you need anything!!!
Love your cousin
Jessica :)
Jessica

PattiD13
on 9/27/09 4:29 am - Marion, VA
Thank you to everyone *****plied. I will definitely ask my NUT about this.

I have heard of mashed cauliflower before, but I have never tried it, I think I will have to! I love mashed potatoes, but I know the carbs are bad. This would be nice to replace them. :)

Thanks again!

(And yes, Jess, I will call you about stuff! lol)

~Patti
caroline2622
on 9/27/09 4:32 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
All good advise given

Most important to have contact with a  nutrionist.    We need  good food choices.        If you are confused suggest getting a carb booklet to help.  

Simply your meals  (even during mushies) should be a protein with (2) veggies of a different color  yellow green or orange or substitute one with a fruit.    When getting back to basics, our menu's should not be that different.     

My hospital nutrionist gave us sample mushie meals menus and our next pre op visit had to make up our own menu.  

The suggestion of sweet potato or mashed cauliflower are excellant substitutes for a white potato.  

Remember WLS is just a tool and we have to make good choices in the future to keep the weight off.    Keep in touch and feel free to ask questions.  Best of luck.   Caroline

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views