A question about food (or lack there of) & weight gain

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 9/25/09 6:02 am - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Yes, I have done it. I have gained 4 lbs. Well I had and I lost them but I had gained them and they were mine. My question is.... how is it possible to gain weight when 1 is barely eating (on average) about 500 calorie a day. Mind you, this eating so little is NOT by choice but the result of a bleeding ulcer and now what is suspected to be a kink and/or blockage in the intestines.

At first, we suspected fluids but after careful watch, I realized that I am not consuming neither enough foods or fluids to gain any weight. I do quite a bit of walking every day and ride an exercise bike, as much as I can with a heart condition.

The eating problem is hopefully going to be on it's way to a resolution nex Thursday when I have my surgery and they insert the feeding tube. Any suggestions on what could be happening would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Theresa
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

Penny Denny
on 9/25/09 6:36 am - Collinsville, VA
I don't know Teresa, but wanted to wish you luck with the feeding tube. I"m sorry you're having to go through this.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

caroline2622
on 9/25/09 7:02 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Your body is going through alot recently could be one reason.

Lack of intake can put your body into starvation mode.  Glad you working toward a resolution next week.   Talk to the nutrionist about this.  Most Doctors do not get it. 

Take care and God Bless!

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
SWEET Tink
on 9/25/09 1:05 pm
Theresa ,
WOW .. this is a doosey . You say it cannot be fluid .. but I tend to think that it is .  Why .. you say you are walking and riding your bike . This in itself can create fluid . Your body will need fluid to protect your muscles.
If the food you are eating is high in sodium , this can create fluid too . Sometimes we are not mindful of the sodium .. and it can add up . You may want to check to see how much Sodiun you are taking in .

Also ... even though you are going through this kink or blockage .. your body is still saying .. WTF .. HAVE YOU DONE TO ME .. and it can and will create fat cells . Our bodies get scared when we do not eat .. and if you are only getting in 500 calories .. it is really freaked out . SO it creates stores of fat . Something to think about .

Just think .. after next Thursday .. you will be back on your way to healing and hopefully able to get in more nutrients . I am so very sorry you have having to go through this . If you need me .. please do not hesitate to call on me .. I am here for you always,

Love ,

Tink

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

Ms Court
on 9/25/09 1:27 pm - Remington, VA
Definitely sounds like starvation mode.  Your body is holding every little bit it can.  Hopefully after the tube you will quickly get right back on track.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 9/25/09 11:21 pm
RNY on 09/19/07 with

My guess is right along the same line as the others -- your body has kicked into the starvation mode.  It certainly isn't unusual -- our bodies are geared to do this to protect them.  You may find that once you are able to get more nutrition and fluids in, the weight will come back off.  Best of luck with the surgery next week.

Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Kitty Kat
on 9/26/09 12:03 am - Richmond, VA
Good am Theresa,

It could be any number of things. I am thinking with the others that it is also starvation mode in which your body is trying to keep every ounce of nutrition. I think you'll see a marked difference when you receive the feeding tube. You've got a lot going on in your life right now & much can contribute to the gain. Chin up, prayers are continuing. Hugs.

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views