Gallbladder surgery

Penny Denny
on 9/24/09 9:20 pm - Collinsville, VA
Just wanted to share. I seen my surgeon yesterday and he does recommend surgery to remove my gallbladder. I have multiple small stones. Surgery is scheduled for Oct 23.

For those who did not know: At my 1year checkup, my billirubbin levels were elevated. I was told to see my primary care physician. He sent me for a gallbladder scan and found the stones. I had no symptoms. The first surgeon says he does not do surgery unless you have associated pain, which at the time made sense. However, I was sent to see my gastic bypass dr.

This is what I thought you made need to hear....Since we have had gastric bypass, our bodies are different. Most people can live with the stones. But since I had several small stones, 1 small one can easily enter the duct. For gastric patients, he said it is very, very hard to remove.

So, long story short, please check with your WLS for major things like this.

Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ms Court
on 9/24/09 10:10 pm - Remington, VA
Great post Penny!

Also for those that are new: Gallbladder issues are very common after massive weight loss.  Definitely something to keep an eye on.  Sometimes the symptoms of a gall bladder attact can also seem like dumping (or at least it did with me).  I had the nausea, sweats with no pain the first couple of times then suddenly one day just about keeled over with the pain.

If the stones are still lodged in the gallbladder & not out in the ducts, the blood work will not show it.  If you think you have issues with your gallbladder, push for an ultrasound.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Tina22026
on 9/24/09 10:11 pm
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Thanks for sharing your story Penny.  Hope the surgery goes well and you recover quickly!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Kitty Kat
on 9/24/09 10:27 pm - Richmond, VA
Thanks for sharing Penny. Its an important piece of knowledge to have. Thankfully I'd experienced issues with my preggers journey with Kayla which indicated mine needed to be removed anyway. After having her & healing WLS was soon to follow at which time my surgeon chose to remove it to begin with even without the previous issues though they did help. I wish you all best with your surgery & prayers for a successful/swift recovery.
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

caroline2622
on 9/24/09 11:16 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Thank you Penny and Courtney.  Good information to know.   

Can you confirm also that increase of water intake can decrease the developement of stones.

In non WLS patients at least 2 glasses a day of water and elimination of drinking soda products take your odds of stone down considerably.   Wondering if increase of water helps our odds. 

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Penny Denny
on 9/25/09 3:50 am - Collinsville, VA
I've not heard that before. I am interested in finding that out though.

I have heard that concerning kidney stones though.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

lysb
on 9/25/09 11:08 am - Alexandria, VA
Penny - well i'm glad they decided to take it out.  I was really nervous about it, since the surgery before it was RNY, it was sooooo much easier!  I'll keep you close in prayer.  lys

Penny Denny
on 9/25/09 11:20 pm - Collinsville, VA
I am sure hoping that is easier. I am a little nervous. I hope to do this on my week off at the bank. Dr. seems to think I can be back at work within a week.

Thanks, Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Lifeski
on 9/27/09 11:27 pm
I had mine out a couple of years ago and took two weeks off.  The first couple of days were a bit rough but after a full week I was ready to return to work .  I was lucky enough to enjoy the rest of my time off fishing and having fun and my co-workers wondered why I returned from having surgery with a tan.  :) 
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

vagirl00
on 9/25/09 11:07 pm
RNY on 09/19/07 with

Hi, Penny.  Thanks for sharing this information...very interesting.  It helps us all to remember that because of our WLS we are a little "different" when it comes to some "normal" things.  I wish you the very best for a successful surgery and speedy and full recovery.  Take care of yourself.

Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views