I've been away for a long time and now have complications

elizabethbc
on 9/23/09 12:29 pm
Hi, Virginia Folks:

Some of you may remember me.  I couldn't sign in as my old email address wouldn't work, but I have been around since 2005.  I had my RNY on August 30, 2005, and have lost 160 pounds since then.  Right after surgery, I had a lot of complications related to a gastro-gastric fistula and recurring gastric ulcers.  I had six endoscopies, dilation and medication, all without healing the issues.

After a year, I lost my insurance (COBRA ran out), and my new employer's insurance didn't cover anything related to WLS, including complications, so for three years I just hurt. For four years I have been hurting every day. 

My company was purchased in August, and now I have insurance that will cover WLS.  So, I went to the doctor last week and today I had another endoscopy.  It showed TWO gastro-gastric fistulas and four gastric ulcers, one of them bleeding. 

I am so discouraged.  Another operation is inevitable.  The doctor's office is supposed to call tomorrow.  I'm tired and sore from the endoscopy today, and an IV blew in my hand,  so it hurts and is swollen.

Sorry to be so down - I don't want to discourage anyone's WLS journey.  I did have results that mattered - weight loss, diabetes gone, high cholesterol is now 134, etc.  I would do it again, but this is so hard.

Peace,
elizabeth in Waynesboro
SWEET Tink
on 9/23/09 1:41 pm
Elizabeth,
I do remember you . Welcome back .
I am very sorry you have gone through what you have post op . It is good that you posted this . While complications do happen , they do not happen to everyone, however it is very insightful to see and know that it can happen .

It is a good thing that now you have insurance that will cover this . Sort of a silver lining of sorts .

It is nice to see also that your co-mobilities like your diabetes is gone .

Please keep us posted on the outcome of your surgery and follow up .
I will keep you in prayer with the hope that all of your medical issues will be corrected and you gain a life that is pain free .

Take care ,

Natalie
aka-Tink

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

elizabethbc
on 9/25/09 11:22 am
Hi, Sweetie.  Thanks for the welcome back.  I've really missed this group, and no one else understands the battle we go through to attain a healthy weight. 

The insurance is definitely a silver lining.  I have had pain for over four years, every day, and it just wears you out after a while.  I'm so looking forward to not hurting.  The insurance is actually a very big thing - I got the EOB today, and the blood work alone last week was $1,088.47.  My co-pay is ...$0.00 - nothing!!!!!!  I have exclusive provider option, and so no deductible, no co-pays, no maximum out of pocket.  The only thing I pay for is prescription co-pays.  

I do know that I'll have to appeal their denial for the revision surgery, though.  I don't meet the criteria for a bypass - BMI over 40 and one or more co-morbidities.  My BMI is 23.8, and most of the other health problems went away.  

Anyway, thanks for the prayers and good thoughts.  It is great to be back.

Peace,
elizabeth
~~Theresa Marie~~
on 9/23/09 1:49 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Hi Elizabeth! Welcome back!!!

I can so relate to things you are going through. I am 17 months out, this month and when I was 14 months out, I was rushed to the hospital thinking it was my heart to find out that I was bleeding to death from a bleeding ulcer at the anastamosis. Well after cauterization and epinephrine, it is healing but I am dealing now with a kink or blockage in the intestines, not able to eat for the last 8 months or so and next Thursday am having surgery to find the kink and to insert a feeding tube.

I understand your frustration and pain all the while never regretting what you did. I am so glad you now have coverage so that you are able to get things taken care of and get healed. If you need to vent or talk, just give me a message. Will pray your surgeons office gets you in there quickly! Hugs to you!

Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

elizabethbc
on 9/25/09 1:07 pm
Oh, Theresa:

I feel for you, girl.  I'm sorry you're having such a hard time.  I hope that they find the problem, fix it up, and your troubles will be over. 

You will be in my thoughts and prayers, especially on Thursday.

Peace,
elizabeth
Ms Court
on 9/23/09 8:22 pm - Remington, VA
Elizabeth, sounds like you have had a tough road.  I am happy  to hear about the success you have had and that you have insurance and are getting the treatment you need.  Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.  Keep us posted.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Kitty Kat
on 9/23/09 9:06 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Elizabeth,

I remember you as well. You've certainly been battling quite a bit. Thanks for sharing your struggles. It truly sheds light on may things some may not have known about themselves or struggles in others we can all learn from. Its a blessing that you've got insurance to cover surgery & treatment moving forward. Congratulations on your successes and please keep us posted as to how your journey goes. Many hugs, lots of prayers & support here for you. 

Wishing you all best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

elizabethbc
on 9/25/09 1:00 pm
Hi, KK:

Thanks for the hugs, prayers and support.  It really helps - I've been so down because of all the issues.  But you know what?  I'd do it all again - every time I look at a picture of the old me I wonder who that person is.  I don't know who that person is anymore.

I'm really glad to be back - I've missed you all!

elizabeth
vagirl00
on 9/24/09 12:20 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with

I am so sorry to hear you are going through so much.  It sounds, though, like you have the right attitude -- combine that with getting everything taken care of medically, and you are on the right road.  Best of luck. 

Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

elizabethbc
on 9/25/09 1:05 pm
Thanks, Cindy.  I'm trying to keep positive and just live in the moment.  I know that it will work out the way it is supposed to.  Thankfully, I have insurance now, so at least I can afford to get the care I need.

I appreciate your support and kindness.
elizabeth
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views