What happens Next????

proud_mommy
on 9/19/09 8:13 am - Lynchburg, VA
I have a seminar scheduled and was just looking for some information on what happens after the seminar? I have talked to the insurance company and I have everything they need to cover it, I think, I was wondering what type of test are done and kinda what the procedure is after the seminar?

caroline2622
on 9/19/09 8:47 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with

May have diet requirement   (loose weight to shrink your liver)   Liver during surgery is lifted and releases enzymes)  

Nutritionist consults   -   pre-op   early post op & later post op menu   vitamins & protien requirements.   This is really important to keep you on a successful track.    Fair Oak Hospital & my doctor both gave a great presentation and booklets to refer to.    You will learn how important getting in protien, watching carbs, low sugar/sugar free.     Eating a balanced meal.   Reminding us this is just a tool, we have to make life changes. 

Bloodwork  &  Urine testing     Chest x ray    Sleep study    Pysch eval     Any existing medical conditions may require addition testing.

Your surgeon will also follow any requirements of your insurance company as well.

Good luck !!  Keep in touch    Caroline

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
proud_mommy
on 9/19/09 11:40 am - Lynchburg, VA
Thanks, I knew about the Nut meeting but had no idea about all the other test. This info was very helpful, I am just praying things go smoothly
proud_mommy
on 9/19/09 11:41 am - Lynchburg, VA
I understand the other test but why the sleep study? 
caroline2622
on 9/19/09 2:19 pm - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
overweight issues put pressure on our body during intebation during the surgery.    If you do have sleep apnea you will be required to use the apnea machine during surgery.   It helps keep your airway open.   

Apnea problems involve not breathing during your sleep.   Most people who are overweight have apnea.    Once we usually loose weight you will be retested and get off the machine.

The test is an overnite at a center, although I understand they are now sending a new type of machine.  

lost 140 lbs     

proud_mommy
on 9/20/09 3:59 am - Lynchburg, VA
Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. The only problem I have had with sleep in the past two years is I can not seem to fall asleep. I am so tired at night but takes hours to fall asleep. I do not think this has to do with my weight. I have an appointment with a PCP at UVA to see what the problem is.
Ms Court
on 9/20/09 3:02 am - Remington, VA

You probably need to schedule an appointment with the surgeon first.  Usually they will go over what is required both by them & the insurance.  Some typical things, blood gas test, gall bladder ultra sound, psych test, upper gi, standard blood work to check vitamin levels, etc., urine test, nutrition classes, some times the liver shrinking diet.  You will meet with the surgeon, they will explain it, submit for approval and start the tests. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

proud_mommy
on 9/20/09 4:06 am - Lynchburg, VA
I called UVA to see how to make an appointment and was told they take care of that once I attend the seminar. Is that true? I know what my insurance company requires, I called and had a ling detailed conversation with the rep at Anthem. She was super helpful and gave me details of exactly what they need. Thanks for the info it was very helpful. I have been doing a lot of research and have been able to find some information about the actual surgery but they only say test will be done... never saying what type. I just want to make sure I am headed in the right direction.
caroline2622
on 9/20/09 7:33 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Most require the seminar before making an apointment with the surgeon.   You will have so many of your questions answered at the seminar.  The was how I deciided on the Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy.  Originally was going for the band, but once found out about this new procedure I knew this one was for me.  

Great you are doing your research.   Keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

lost 140 lbs     

proud_mommy
on 9/20/09 7:52 am - Lynchburg, VA
Thank you so much, I am looking forward to the seminar. I will keep a post of my progress. Thanks again :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views