Important info on Vitamin D

Ms Court
on 9/19/09 12:00 am - Remington, VA
So I know that my surgeon is big on checking Vitamin D levels.  Right when I had surgery they were actually seeing a trend where people were deficient before surgery and needed to be brought up before surgery in order to not have problems after and this meant different supplements since they didn't respond to the normal stuff.  So they are big on checking in pre op and then all the way through.

My stepmom who has also had surgery, with a different dr. a few years before me, did not have the same experience.  She has been suffering with a lot of muscular and bone issues and pain.  Her surgeon retired a few years back so she follows up with her pcp.  Finally after continued complaints and checking various things her pcp thought about the vitamin d levels and as it turned out she is very deficient.  She is now on weekly, super doses of vitamin d for the next 12 weeks to see how she responds and if she can get those levels back where they belong.  Now she has not neglected herself, she takes her supplements, does get some sun to help, etc.  She knows the drill but her body just does not absorb it right.

If you are having issues with the aches, pains, etc.  Please check to see if you vitamin d levels are where they need to be.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

caroline2622
on 9/19/09 1:43 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Thank you for the update.    Vitamin D helps to excellerate the intake of calcium.    Hearing from alot from WLS Patients with low Vitamin D.   

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
tommygirl
on 9/19/09 7:50 am
Thanks court for the info I also take a weekly Vit. D as my is very low since weightloss surgery.
Ann S.
on 9/19/09 9:48 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
I'm on a supplement too but great thread, Courtney!  I bet there are lots who either didn't know, or forgot how important Vit. D is.  Thanks for bringing this up.

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

vagirl00
on 9/19/09 1:31 pm
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Thanks for reminding us about such an important supplement for all of us.  I hope your stepmom is doing better!
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Kitty Kat
on 9/20/09 10:46 pm - Richmond, VA
Thanks for posting this & it was an important topic to be discussed. I started with Low Vit D issues last Halloween & have since gone on a Dry Vitamin D supplement (1 per day) & I believe it took about 1 1/2 months for me to truly notice a difference. My levels were very low & as a result I was experiencing aches, pains, sleep issues and some other issues. Since taking the supplement I've been doing much better. I encourage EVERYONE to follow up with their labs frequently.

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views