restart weight loss

bmhart
on 9/11/09 12:30 am - virginia beach, VA
Hello All,

i am 4yrs post op and have began to gain weight back much to fast within the year. i have gone through a lot mentally and obviously physically. i have been on different meds that i believe have contributed to the weight gain. since i have accepted the fact that these meds have strongly contributed to the weight gain, i have decided to ween myself off of them and to regain my life back by losing the required weight (30lbs) so that i am no longer consider obese. can anyone give me any advise on how to restart the weight loss being this far out from surgery. i am really in need of help so that i can begin to live again. thanks in advance for any positive feedback.
Ms Court
on 9/11/09 12:41 am - Remington, VA
Hi & Welcome to the board.  There are several of us (myself included) who are working to get back on track & make our tool do it's job.  Going back to the basics is the key to making this happen. 
* drink at least 64 oz of water a day
* talk all supplements
*focus of protein, fruits & veggies, cut back on carbs
* exercise

I do a post every day during the week (some on weekends) and talk about my personal situations & nutrition, effort, etc.  The support is a big help.  If you have meds that are contributing but are working on getting off of those, 1st please make sure you are working with your doctors ont his as needed, and 2nd remember you can do this & we are here for you!!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

bmhart
on 9/11/09 2:02 am - virginia beach, VA
thank you i will definitely begin to restart the back to basics. the water i can handle, reminding myself to take the supplements will be ok, the focus on protein, fruits and veggies and cutting back on the carbs is the problem. i will try my best. thanks for the support.
Kitty Kat
on 9/11/09 2:02 am - Richmond, VA
Good pm,

I agree with Courtney on making sure you talk with your docs with regard to ANY changes you are making especially where meds are involved. I'm nearing 7 years post op and have dealt with meds/medical situations in which have resulted in weight gain. As of this July I'm happy to report I've finished up all of that at this time & am slowly and surely getting back to normal.

Increasing fluids especially protein has been a tremendous help. Cooking more meals at home and actually EATING meals have siginificantly helped. Another thing that has always been a saving grace and a WONDERFUL thing for me & my buggas is walking at least 5 days per week getting in 2 miles each of those 5 days. I've also begun changing my menu as to not get bored with my food choices.

I'm very appreciative of Courtney's posts. They are a very good way to keep myself accountable and helps me learn new ideas from others as far as activities and foods. Wishing you all best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

bmhart
on 9/11/09 2:04 am - virginia beach, VA
thanks i will keep this in mind and do my best at regaining my new lifestyle after the surgery. i must think PROTEIN.....
SWEET Tink
on 9/11/09 6:44 am

You have a private message from me ..

Tink

Proud Obesity Help Bariatric Life Coach
Proud Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Fighting Daily the Disease We Call Obesity !
www.obesityhelp.com/group/LifeStartsWLS08
www.vawlsevents.com
Helping Others Find Their Way to a Life They Deserve!

vagirl00
on 9/11/09 10:56 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
You have received great advice.  Address the meds with the professionals -- your doctors.  As far as the weight:  Back to basics.  If you are concerned you are eating a lot of carbs, some people swear by the five day pouch test (5DPT) -- you can find out about it at www.5daypouchtest.com.  Good luck, and keep us posted! 
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Ann S.
on 9/13/09 10:43 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
First off, welcome to the VA Board!!  2nd, congrats on seeking out support/advice/suggestions!  Too many people somehow get the idea that they must go through this journey alone, especially when they "fall off the wagon"...that's an idea far from the truth.

I will admit that after reading your post, I, too, became a little concerned when you spoke of weaning yourself off of some of your Rx meds.  Not knowing what they are, there are some that you do need to wean off gradually, but making changes to meds really should be monitored by your PCP & that's why everybody mentioned  you seeing him/her.

Cindy also mentioned the 5 DPT...one of our gals here, Cathy, just finished it last week.  It IS a challenge, or so she indicated, because she took us along on her journey each day.  But she's glad she did it & it has helped her to get back on track.  Many others have done it as well, so maybe it will be of help to you as well.  What the heck...couldn't hurt, right? lol

I, too, participate in Courtney's "Getting Back On Track" thread that she hosts nearly every day.  We post what we consumed daily & that helps me to not only keep track of what I'm putting in my body, but also keeps me honest, not just with myself, but with my peers.  I'm discovering that I am rethinking the "indulgences" now because I know I have to fess up...lol.  Accountability can be a very strong tool.

Additionally, Penny hosts a weekly weigh-in on Mondays.  This has been useful for me because I get the atta-boys from my peers when I've lost, & advice/suggestions when I gain.

Both threads are also useful for keeping track of where my head is.  Mental health is just as important as physical health & they both play off of each other.  By journaling here with these great people, we get to kind of keep track of each other & know when maybe we could use an extra phone call or PM.

I hope you will join us on these threads & many others.  We really like adding to our "family" here & we're all about care & support & encouragement.  No question is silly so ask anything.  And jump in with advice/suggestions too...we have lots of newbies & oldtimers that all needs information.

Again, welcome to the best board on OH!!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views