Good chat with my nutritionist today...

Ann S.
on 9/10/09 5:05 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Oh, just noticed the clock, so it would have been yesterday.  Anyway, being a bander, I have different issues than most of you & I was having trouble figuring out the right way to consume my foods without all the problems of getting food stuck, etc., so I reconnected with my Nut.  I'm so glad I did.

She asked me to share a week's worth of my food diary & then gave me an honest assessment.  For the most part I am doing pretty darned good but she pointed out some things that I had all wrong.  For instance, I like homemade soup...alot!  I like to add lots of good things to them...veggies, lean meats, spices.  Apparently eating soup is the same thing as eating & drinking at the same time, which none of us are supposed to do.  So she suggested that after I ladle out the portion I intend to eat, that I should strain out the broth first.  Eat the solid things (the veggies & meat) but save the liquid part till the 30 minutes after I finish eating.  For some reason I was thinking that the liquids would just wash down to my lower stomach & the solids would hang out in my pouch but that's not the case.  The broth would just flush the solids down with it.  As soon as she explained it, it was like well, duuuh!  How come I didn't see it that way?  Talk about misconception.

Another duuuh moment had to do with mashed potatoes.  Because it's considered a mushy, it will work the same as the soup broth...flush right down.  But what I found even more interesting is that all this time I was still stuck in that old tape of what goes with what normally.  I was raised that you have certain foods with certain foods.  The way I was taught while growing up was that pork chops means you have lima beans, apple sauce, & mashed sweet taters.  Pot roast has large chunked potatoes & carrots.  Fried chicken went with mashed potatoes, gravy, & corn.  So I was still going by instinct rather than making the necessary adjustment to the way I need to eat NOW, not how it was before.

I'm amazed at how easy misconceptions or misunderstanding can get in the way of  progress.  This just proves once again that it is about making lifestyle changes.  It's time to bust out of the box because what was normal before is not normal now.  I have to learn to accept the NEW normal.

All in all a very informative & helpful session with my Nut.

****an somebody come over & help me find the darned cricket??  I love 'em outside, but they're annoying inside!!) LOL

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Melissa N.
on 9/10/09 10:54 pm - Stafford, VA
You know Ann, what you posted is actually similar to us RNY patients.  Yes you will have different issues, but essentially the band has created a similar opening we have as an RNY patient.  So the rules do apply in the similar fashion.  We don't drink with our food because it washes is out of our tummy faster and we become hungry, but it can also open our stoma up wider.  We have to becarful of what is called the "slidder foods" because it goes through us faster. 

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Ms Court
on 9/11/09 12:07 am - Remington, VA
Sounds like you had a really good chat.  That is fabulous!  Great assistand to help you with your journey!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 9/11/09 8:22 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
It's always so good to hear this kind of information for everyone.  Thanks for sharing!
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views