The good news and the bad news...

vagirl00
on 9/8/09 5:55 am, edited 9/8/09 5:56 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with

The good news:  I found out that sugar doesn't make me dump (at least in small amounts).  (Sugar alcohols, however, do.)

The bad news:  I found out that sugar doesn't make me dump.

As I come up on my two year surgiversary, I am finding that I am able to tolerate foods that sent me reeling before. 

Luckily, I am not digging into cakes, cookies, ice cream, candy bars, etc....but I bake a lot and have been testing the batter(s) and taking a pinch here and there.  I now have to figure a way to continue to do what I enjoy (baking) and still steer away from the temptation.  A new challenge in my maintenance phase.  :) 

It just goes to show that our surgery really is a tool -- it is up to us to use this tool in the manner it was designed.  We have to realize that changing our lifestyles for long term success is what will get us to our ultimate goal of good health and well being, not just the surgery.  WLS is not a magic bullet (though certainly a real blessing!).

Thought for the day...  :)

Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

caroline2622
on 9/8/09 6:38 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
The VSG is supposed to keep your cravings down.  Well that is kind of true as long as you stay away from sugar and white flour.   We have to eat the right kinds of foods.  

You are soooo right.  This is just a tool.  In the end we have to know what triggers us to eat and overeat.  

Hang in there sister.  This has to be a life change and we all need to encourage each other.

Thank you for sharing.

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Brenda E.
on 9/8/09 6:40 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
That would be really bad news for me being so new to all this.  I made cookies to take to David tomorrow for his bday and out of habit put licked my fingers and then remembered I cant do this so I spit it out.  I have not had anything I am not supposed to since surgery but I am afraid of the dumping so not willing to try either.  This really is a tool and we have to work to get the results we want.

Brenda

lysb
on 9/8/09 8:11 am - Alexandria, VA
Cindy - i figured it out last week, i ate ONE cookie, hoping i would feel queasy, but did not....but in my head and heart i just tell myself, it will make you sick and walk away.  Your cakes look awesome by the way! lys

prissy25
on 9/8/09 10:17 am - Barboursville, VA
My love's its a challenge we ALL will have to over come I can deal w/ regular sugars as long as there 14 grms an under w/out dumping  better than the sugar alcohols. BUT this is something WE all have to learn to either do without  all together or do in moderation or as a treat. The  sugar  alchols  damn near kill me believe me but if I have a spoon of reg. ice cream (mind you Im almost  4 yrs out) and we are all different. I know some who r a lot futher out than me and cant do either so Im just telling you  its a test you have to be willing to take. Be careful it can be  a addicting habit to fall into..... Im just speaking on my behalf. I have no reason to lie or keep secrets I hope my experiences will help others. So many wont be honest or come forward with there true journeys but thats why we have this support board.  
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Kitty Kat
on 9/8/09 10:59 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Cindy & others,

Yep, sugar is evil at times. Almost 7 years post op (Jan 2010) I STILL dump. Thankfully. I have not always made the best food choices. However, I've been working to get back on track and hope to remain diligent in my journey. Melinda what you said is VERY true. We have to fess up and be honest about our true habits. We are all in this together. :) 

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views