Running the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon AGAIN

Blair Maury
on 9/5/09 2:42 pm - Portsmouth, VA
Thought I'd post this for the newbies. I used to be one of the token men around here, but I had been a little stranger lately.

In the morning, I am running the Rock 'n Roll Half Marathon for the 2nd year. I am 18 month post-op. This time last year I was terrified as I prepped for my first one of these. Now I am insanely terrified.

I am hoping to break 2 hours, which would be a personal record. Since last year, I have run untold 10ks, 3 half marathons, and a triathalon.

Here is what a little before and after. I was 406 at my highest, and now I float arounf 195 to 200. I am 6'3", so that means I have a normal BMI.

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

I cannot stress how important exercise is in your journey. At some point (and if you're new I know you can't fathom this), your stomach will catch up with you and you'll be able to eat enough to gain weight back. That is why you have to get into exercise now. When you're first doing it , it is tough. But I am far enough out now that it is just part of my life.

And, most importantly, I really don't think about what I eat. Aside from the obvious (meaning I avoid the sugar and fat that are no-nos), if I am hungry I eat. My wife says I am always eating. The difference is that now instead of a burger, I am eating oatmeal, or a banana, or whatever.

So if you have exercise questions, let me know.

I am more often on Facebook, so find me there:

http://www.new.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#/blair.maury?r ef=profile

But I have been making an effort to get by here too.

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
meantine
on 9/5/09 10:44 pm
 Blair,
Good luck with your run. I will be checking back to see how you did.
I ran my for the first time the other day a 10 K. It took me just a little over an hour to do it.  I am happy with running in the 5 or 8K races at the moment.  The one at the childrens hospital went great for me. I loved it.
  Well time to get off here. Good luck again and have fun,
                             Christine
vagirl00
on 9/6/09 3:08 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hey, Blair:

You are so right about the exercise part of the whole picture.  I have been slacking some, and have noticed a difference...so, back to the right routine!

Best of luck with the half marathon, and congratulations on all of the success!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Tina22026
on 9/6/09 8:01 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Good luck Blair!!!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Blair Maury
on 9/6/09 5:00 pm - Portsmouth, VA
FYI, I finished today in 2:01:53 (which FREAKING kills me how close I was to a sub 2 hour half). Looks like I was 3956th overall (still waiting on final tallies, but I assuming there were about 18k runners).

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
Brenda E.
on 9/7/09 12:30 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
That is awesome Blair, Congrats!  You are a great inspiration!!

Brenda

meantine
on 9/7/09 1:13 am
Blair,
 Congratulations on running it and finishing it.  I might do it next year. will see.
You did a awsome job. keep it up.
          Take care,
             Christine
Kitty Kat
on 9/6/09 11:49 pm - Richmond, VA
Great job Blair! Very happy for you!
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views