2 Year Reflections and Observations

Nancy E.
on 9/3/09 5:43 am - Charlottesville, VA
Can you believe it has been two years (9/12/07) since my surgery?  I sure can't.   I am grateful every single day for this life-altering tool and just wanted to post some thoughts for us to ponder in the hopes that it will help on your road, wherever you may be in the process.   These are just my opinions and thoughts :)

Anyone who thinks that this is an easy way out or not hard work is c-r-a-z-y!I am sure that we are quick to tell the uneducated how opposite those statements are.  There is not a day that goes by that I don't think about what my menu is going to be for the day, how many calories, how much protein, am I drinking enough water, mindful of every morsel that is put into my mouth, did I get all my vitamins and supplements.  I am neurotic about journaling my food in a notebook as well as online for every single meal or snack.  I HAVE to go to the gym at least 5 times a week because there is no way in Heck that I am ever going back from where I came from.  Have I ever gone off track? - YES.  Did I enjoy it? - NO.  Have I ever dumped? - YES  I have been pretty lucky in that I have never thrown up since surgery. 

I have 1.5 pounds to go to my personal goal weight.  My doctor told me I would most likely lose 120 pounds and my personal goal was to lose 150 pounds just to prove to him and myself that I could do it.  Next Saturday is my two year anniversary and I am getting a new tattoo to commemerate my goal weight as well as the two years.

I will be having plastics on January 11 for a thigh lift.  Fortunately, that is all that I will need to have done.

I would have this surgery 365 days a year if I had to!  I have not one regret!  All of my health issues are gone, I have non-stop energy, and feel great.

One thing that I notice almost everyday and still cannot get over, is how much nicer people are to me now than they were before.  Men (and women) open doors when they see you coming, pick up stuff if you drop it, back up and let you in traffic if you need to, etc.  The predjudism against obesity is very REAL and very SAD.   All we can do is educate, educate, educate to hopefully open some of the eyes that have been closed to this problem.   On that point, choosing to tell and preach about your surgery and experience is, of course, a personal choice, but I tell anyone and everyone who is willing to listen.  Even if they are not interested in having WLS, they may end up joining Weigh****chers or making lifestyle changes to help themselves. 

Hope this has not been too long of a post, I just wanted to reflect and share my feelings with you all.   Even though I don't post often, I do read this site every day and thank you for all of the information that you provide.

Have a great day!!

prissy25
on 9/3/09 9:09 am - Barboursville, VA
Congrats Nancy and thanks for sharing your story! I remember way back then and how kinda shy u were beautiful then and still are keep up the great work and keep us posted. And what tatoo are u getting?
 VAFFPsLogo.jpg FFP's picture by in2lights
OH Support Group Leader - [email protected]
Believing in yourself makes it so much easier in supporting those who need your friendship, love, and support,so Believe in yourself First.
Charlottesville, Virginia VA FFP's Meet's every 4th Sat.

Nancy E.
on 9/3/09 12:31 pm - Charlottesville, VA
Thanks Melinda!  You have done great too with everything in your life.

The tat is gonna be a butterfly with some fancy design across my lower back and my surgery date on it.  Can't wait to show you when it is done.  He is also gonna touch up my existing tat for free while I am there :)

Toobcherished
on 9/3/09 1:54 pm - Henrico, VA

Thank you for your post. As a pre op you helped me.  Would love to see the tat when you get it!

Tanya

Nancy E.
on 9/3/09 10:29 pm - Charlottesville, VA

I will post a picture of the new one next Saturday after I get it, as well as a pic of the touched-up old one :)

Blair Maury
on 9/3/09 2:52 pm - Portsmouth, VA
I really enjoyed reading this Nancy. You are simply amazing and I am glad to know you!

You have done a hell of a good job!

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
Ann S.
on 9/4/09 12:38 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Hi ya, Blair!  Gee, it's great to see you posting again...you have been missed!!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Kitty Kat
on 9/3/09 8:25 pm - Richmond, VA
Congrats Nancy! Thanks for sharing your wonderful journey!
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

lysb
on 9/3/09 8:58 pm - Alexandria, VA
Nancy - thanks so much for posting your reflections and your journey.  you are truly an inspiration.  thanks! lys

Ms Court
on 9/3/09 10:52 pm - Remington, VA
Congrats on all your success Nancy!  Thanks for sharing your inspiring story.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views