Got to get back on track...

Ken Currin
on 9/3/09 12:33 pm - South Hill, VA
I have gained 6 lbs this week, and haven't had any significant weigh lose in some time. Don't think I am over eating, not eating the wrong things, what is going on?
Blair Maury
on 9/3/09 3:00 pm - Portsmouth, VA
Are you exercising?

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
Kitty Kat
on 9/3/09 8:28 pm - Richmond, VA
Hey Ken I 2nd what Blair has asked. Are you exercising? In addition, are you getting in protein & "good" fluids as well? How's your eating? Give us some info so that we might be able to better help you.
Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Ms Court
on 9/3/09 10:54 pm - Remington, VA
A lot of us are in the same boat right now Ken.  Keep with us on the board to share tips and get motivated.  You can do it!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 9/3/09 11:44 pm
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Some things to consider:

Are you exercising (as the others has asked)?
Are you tracking/journaling your food, fluids and exercise?
Are you making sure you are getting in all of your protein and fluids (again, as others have asked)?
Are you taking all of your supplements?

Getting back to basics can be a great way to get on track.  Keeping track of what you are doing on a daily basis can help you see what you are doing on a daily basis -- what is working, what isn't, etc.  Some good sites for tracking:  www.fitday.com, www.sparkpeople.com, www.livestrong.com.

Best of luck!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Ann S.
on 9/4/09 12:17 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Hey Ken!  Great to see you back with us...I was wondering how you were doing.

I invite you to join us on the "Getting Back On Track" daily thread that Courtney is hosting.  It has made a world of difference for me.  What we do is HONESTLY journal what we put in our mouths on a daily basis, to include fluids, vitamins, Rx meds, along with what we do for exercise. 

We also sum up how our day is going, what our plans are.  I really believe that this is equally as important because our mental health has a direct influence on how successful we will be in our wl journey.  If you're feeling depressed, experiencing head hunger, feeling guilty because you made a bad food choice, or whatever, it helps to be accountable to yourself & to others.  It helps ME to be honest to myself by sharing this with others.  And it gives us a heads-up on whether, as friends, we should maybe reach out in a less-informal way, such as a phone call or visit.  Sometimes that added "special touch" can make all the difference in the world, even if it's just knowing that someone who truly understands cares enough to reach out to you.  This journey is remarkable, but it can also be scary & lonely.  After all, we are rebuilding ourselves from the inside out, on a daily basis...there's bound to be "down" times.  And when you have a terrific day, or something wonderful happens, we can celebrate WITH you as well.  I don't know about you, but getting a pat on the back from my peers goes a long way.

You can go into as much detail as you are comfortable with, even if it's just to say "ya know...I had a really crappy day yesterday!" 

We also have a weigh-in thread on Monday...I believe Penny is hosting that one.  Again, posting our progress here helps to keep us honest, & we can make suggestions that will help you through the next week, if you're having a problem.  Or we can celebrate with you if you've lost.

Both threads are a win-win no matter which way you go because we celebrate the accomplishments together, and we encourage & make suggestions when we each stumble.  That's what this group is all about.  Heck, this is the ONLY support group I have!

I hope you will consider joining us.  If you choose not to,  that's ok too.  Please know that you can always get help, no matter what...all you have to do is ask.  We are a family here & family sticks together.  So welcome home, Ken!  And this goes for EVERYONE out there.  I know we have regular lurkers and  I really wish you would step out of your comfort zone a little & join in.  Being passive was the OLD you...mix things up, break the old tapes.  We're here for you too! 

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Ken Currin
on 9/4/09 3:15 pm - South Hill, VA
Well as far as excerise, probably almost none. I do walk more but not just out for walk, just more active. I ride my bike a few times a week and will ride it a lot this weekend, we are at the beach and we brought all our bikes so I am sure we will put in a lot of miles.

As far as food, I guess I am not eating anything considered "diet" food. I am still sticking to the low fat and no sugar diet. For breakfast I am easting Cherios or Raisin Brand with 1% milk, lunch could be a salad or a wrap, on occasion I go home and fix a cold cut sandwhich with mustard and american cheese. I drink a lot of decaf tea with splenda, water and for dinner I eat whatever the rest of the family eats, which varies but nothing ever fried. lots of chicken, some beef and pork.

Snacks, not a lot of them but sometimes I will eat peanuts ( i like the salt) found some sugar free cookies, but that is just recently and only eat maybe two at the time.

I have never been clear on the vitimans, but I talk my Flintstones Chewables and a sublingual dot of something and that is it. I only take it once and that is in the morning.

So what do you think?

Blair Maury
on 9/6/09 5:28 pm - Portsmouth, VA
OK Ken...sorry if this sounds too blunt but I think we both know why you're not losing any more....

Let's start with the fact that the way that WLS works is that for a period you can't help but lose weight. You simply cannot take in enough calories no matter what. But at some point you get to the point where you can take in enough (SPOILER ALERT: You're there.)

Next: food. There is no "diet" food. There are the healthier choices that we should all be making and they should be in smaller portions early that gradually increase as you progress. But the are the foods you'll eat for the rest of your life. It sounds like you're not eating those things. I have no idea how much sugar there is in Raisin Brand off the top my head but I cannot imagine it is within the guidelines for most WLS patients. Even if you could tolerate it, I can't imagine someone as recently post-op should be able to eat something so high in sugar. So that is a concern. It is also amazing that you can eat a whole sandwich now. And there is no way that putting american cheese on it is a good idea. That stuff is pure fat and oil.

I almost think your doctor is guilty of malpractice if you don't understand your vitamins. I know that different practices have different guidelines, but it should be pretty clear that you aren't doing the right things here and there are serious long-term risks since we don't absorb enough from our regular meals.

You didn't mention protein shakes. For the first 18 months, most doctors recommend them. Any clarity you can offer here?

Exercise: you must start of you want to lose. But even if you don't, it is important for overall quality of life. You don't have to run miles like I do. Just something that gets the heart going. Walk 20-30 minutes 5 times a week. Bike. Whatever. But you have to do it so that you're breathing heavy, but are still able to carry on a conversation. I guarantee you'll walk further each time and see more weight fall off.

In general, though we all KNOW the simple formula for losing weight. You have to burn off more than you take in. We take in so little after surgery that we get a skewed vision of weight loss at first . You must burn 3500 calories to lose a pound. In the beginning, you may take in 500 a day. Your body (as a man) burns about 2000-2500 a day naturally. So it is normal to lose 5-6 lbs. a week at first. But eventually more and more calories seep in. Throw in a snack here and there and boom: you're at break even. The difference is that before (if you were like me), you would eat these massive meals. I would sometimes have 2,000 calorie dinners (as I look on it). Now you may only be able to take in 200-300 at a meal....but if you eat in enough and add snacks, you can still get to break even.

The thing I would urge you to do is take a personal inventory of why you had the surgery. I seem to remember you were self-pay, so why spend what is basically the cost of a new car? Whatever your goals are fine. You just need to know what thy are. I wanted to get fit again so I have run with it. Others simply want to just be able to get around or play with kids or grand kids. If it is just to be a little smaller and feel a little better, it sounds like you're there. If it is to get to an ideal weight, it sounds like you work to do.

Of course, one other monkey wrench is that during the ride down all of bodies sometimes just go nuts and we stall or even spike up for no reason whatsoever. Happened to me. My hunch in your case is that it is poor diet and lack of exercise, but I could be wrong.

Best of luck getting on track. Let us know what we can to do help.

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
Ken Currin
on 9/8/09 10:46 am - South Hill, VA
Here is what I need help on:

What brand/website can I order my vitamins? I don't understand what the differance would be in a multivitimum for kids or adults, since it says 100% of x.

What do yall think is the best tasting chocolate protein shake?

I take the Flintstones Complete, D-3 2000IU and B-12. I only take them once per day in the mornings.

You mention about eating cheese, I thought it was ok, It was one of the items I was told to snack on in the early days.

The Raisin Brand:
Bad points Again, I thought this was ok
Calories 190 Calories from Fat 12
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 1.3g 2%
Saturated Fat 0.2g 1%
Trans Fat 0.0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.4g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.2g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 342mg 14%
Total Carbohydrates 45.6g 15%
Dietary Fiber 6.5g 26%
Sugars 17.6g
Protein 5.1g

Vitamin A 17% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 3% Iron 42%

Ingredients

WHOLE WHEAT, RAISINS, WHEAT BRAN, SUGAR, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SALT, MALT FLAVORING, VITAMINS AND MINERALS: NIACINAMIDE, REDUCED IRON, ZINC OXIDE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12 AND VITAMIN D

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 9/7/09 10:51 am - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
Hey Ken...

Seeing as we have the same surgeon's office, I'm guessing they follow the same vitamin guideline. As far as the notes I have, Flintstone vitamins are for early out, when chewables were all we could tolerate. Me, I couldn't do them so I've always taken adult multi vitamins. And besides, Flintstones are for kids and I'm sure they don't have enough of what we need as adults.

I just looked through Commonwealth Surgeon's handbook that they give ALL the patients for both doctors and this is what they say they require us to take.

---2 adult multi-vitamins,
---1 vitamin A & D (can be in same pill often called Cod Liver oil)
---B-12, either sublingual daily or monthly injections
---1500-2000mg of calcuim (in addition to any dietary sources) (must be calcium citrate)

You didn't mention B12 which is a vitamin responsible for energy levels, among other things. This could explain a reduction in metabolism and the weight gain. Also, a deficiency in B vitamins can lead to non reversable neurological conditions, including death. Please call Dr Hutcher, Maya or Jeannine and get your blood work checked and discuss the fact that you aren't taking vitamins like they want. It's not too late to get back on track. I know, taking vitamins has NEVER been my strong point.
Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views