Are you getting enough? Newbies & Grads

Ms Court
on 9/1/09 10:36 pm - Remington, VA
It doesn't matter where you are in your journey, getting enough calories & fluids and jump starting your metabolism is important.  It helps to keep your body losing & helps to not slow your loss, and if you are further out it helps to keep you maintaining.

Fluids work in the same way.  I struggled early out from surgery to get my fluids in, I just don't want to drink most of the time.  I was always a slower loser than most and it was frustrating, when I realized it was really slow I discussed with a friends who was about 10 months ahead of me in her journey.  Getting in my fluids was the only thing I was not doing properly, made the necessary changes for that and boom my loss started picking up.

I mentioned in a post a few days back that I have always needed extra snacks, etc.  I was contemplating this today on my ride into work.  Since moving & adding to my commute, etc.  I am back to having 16+ hour days and up until recently I have not been getting in enough calories to fuel my body.

One of my big problems is starting my metabolism moving each day.  I am bad about getting in breakfast early enough.  Although I am up before six each morning, I don't typically eat for 2 - 3 hours, not good since it puts my body into starvation mode after not getting any fuel for so long.  My nut always stressed trying to eat within the first hour of being up, this is hard for me cause I don't want to eat that early (was the same before surgery).  Now that I am adding my protein shake in the a.m.'s it is helping a lot.  Another thing I used to do was to have a serving of nuts first thing in the a.m.

Since I have been working on my eating schedule, putting in my snacks and chosing healthy snacks, I am noticing the difference.  I am not crashing due to eating the wrong things, I am not overeating at meals due to being overly hungry, I am not eating too fast due to being overly hungry, and I am not snacking at night before bed.  Major good things for me.

By doing these things I am helping my body to maintain my weight (actually losing a bit since that is my goal), keeping my metabolism going, giving myself more energy to live my life.  It is amazing what you can do when you use your too.  Posting daily and getting the support from teh board has made a big difference for me.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Kitty Kat
on 9/1/09 10:58 pm - Richmond, VA
VERY good post Court! I've changed my ways as well. I used to drink, drink, drink coffee for the better part of the day. Now, I get in 2 cups in the am and then switch over to water/healthy fluids getting in anywhere from 64 to 120 oz of water per day. I've felt and seen changes! In addition, I too have "issues" eating early in the am. I'm usually up between 4:30/5:30am each am. So, I've opted to drink a protein drink then eat breakfast around 7:30ish am.

Thanks for posting daily. It helps me as well. :)

XOXO's 

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Brenda E.
on 9/2/09 12:20 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
Thanks for posting this Courtney!  I am having trouble getting my water in because like you I dont feel like I need to drink.  I do find if I sit with the bottle of water in my hand while I am watching TV or reading I do better.  The last few days I have got in about 56 oz of water and then my 12 oz of protein shakes.  So barely getting enough.  My weight loss is stalled and this may be part of the reason.  I have been at the same weight for the past week now and kinda getting frustrated because I have stepped up the exercise also.  I keep telling myself that my body is just trying to catch up as I have lost 56 lbs in the last month and a half.   Guess I will step up the water intake and see if that helps also. 

Brenda

Jen R.
on 9/2/09 1:50 am - VA
I have had many stressor****ting me full on lately. Children, ex-husband, and my own health issues with my spine. I have turned to carbs and not the right ones. I too was drinking coffee 2-3 cups in the AM before breakfast.

Now I am having one cup, a protein drink and small piece of fruit. An hour later i have my second cup of coffee. Getting in my fluids has never been a problem for me thank goodness.

Thanks for this post Court.
cleo66
on 9/2/09 2:38 am - VA
Courtney - this is probably THE best post I've seen on getting food and liquids in!  You show it DOES work -- for newbies and grads!  Seeing posts like this day in and day out makes it hard NOT to do the right thing.  I find I'm picking up my water bottle for a gulp everytime I read a post like this.

Kudos and thanks!
Ann S.
on 9/2/09 5:12 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
I love this post...love it, love it, LOVE IT!!

I am changing things up so much these past couple of weeks & I think journaling on the daily thread to ya'll is helping.  I've also been seeing what ya'll are eating & that is helping me to make the right corrections to what I put in mouth.

It's pretty obvious that it's all about routine.  I don't mean eat the same things, day in & day out, but routine as to WHEN.  I do well with routine.

Since I'm journaling for my NUT., that's added incentive of getting into a routine.  Katt, you've always been a big supporter of journaling, & even though I've been doing it only 2 days so far, I'm actually liking it.  So here's my routine as of today:

08:00 am  wake up & do necessary morning stuff
08:30 am  protein shake
09:00 am  breakfast & am meds
11:00 am  snack
01:00 pm  lunch
03:00 pm  snack & afternoon meds
05:00 pm  snack
08:00 pm  dinner (dinner's late cuz hubby's commute is so long)
09:00 pm  night meds

I do well getting in my fluids now that I got this 64-oz jug.  I try to finish off at LEAST one a day, if not two.

Thank you all for your help!  Don't know what I would without you!!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Tina22026
on 9/2/09 6:04 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Awesome post Court!   I have been good about eating within the first hour l've been awake but once in a while l just can't do it - so l switch it up with my protein shake first then breakfast a couple hours later and you're right - it helps!

l'm so happy for you that even with the longer commute and work day - you are making this work for you and better yet, sharing it with all of us!!   Very proud of you!

Keep it up!!!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

vagirl00
on 9/2/09 10:43 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Wonderful post, Courtney!

Even this far out, I struggle getting all of my fluids in and I have to really push myself each and every day to do it.  It really is important, and your post hits the nail right on the head.

Thanks for the reminder!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

JMarion
on 9/4/09 5:59 am
This is an swesome post!  thanks so much Courtney.  I'm only a couple weeks post-op for my lap RNY (and 16 lbs lighter--woohoo!), and I'm doing good with fluids, just the darn protein is elusive, lol  It's very heartening to know that we all have struggles and somehow manage to keep positive and work at improving everyday! :o)

I'm working on doing a journal, i think it will really help in the future.  Thanks again!

Jennifer
Blair Maury
on 9/7/09 4:01 am - Portsmouth, VA
When I saw the title of thread I was hoping it was a little more dirty.

I had weight loss surgery. I did it the easy way.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views