HELP! Question about approval/pre-surgery weightloss

CandaceHasCurves
on 9/1/09 12:23 am - Alexandria, VA
hey--
TODAY I go see the nutritionist for the first time; I'm super excited--but--also concerned....

Since the surgeon doesn't submit the request for insurance approval until after I've completed the 3 month nutritionist thing--if i lose weight in these three months, taking me below a 40bmi (I'm 41.6 right now) will that disqualify me from surgery then? OR do they submit my weight from when I first went to the surgeon?

I'm just concerned...advice??
Candace
MerMer
on 9/1/09 1:11 am
Good Morning Candace,

What Insurance do you have? I have Kaiser Insurance and I was required to do a 6 month nutritionist evaluation. They used my starting weight for qualifying me for the surgery. I was required to loose 3% of my current weight to qualify but if I lost more that was fine also. So atleast Kaiser would still allow you to have the surgery.

CandaceHasCurves
on 9/1/09 2:01 am - Alexandria, VA
I have Aetna...

That is a good point about which insurance it is! I'm going to ask the nutritionist, of course, and the surgeon...but I wanted to check here to see if anyone had any experience with this?

Thanks for the reply!!
C
Ann S.
on 9/1/09 2:49 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Candace, welcome to the VA OH board!!!  I love your excitement!!

This is a good question.  IMHO, common sense would dictate that they would submit using your original consult weight, but it's good that you're going to doublecheck that with your NUT.  Do you have any other obesity-related health issues, i.e., diabetes, joint problems, high blood pressure, etc.?  Lots of times that can help be the deciding factor as well.  I encourage you to post your findings...this kind of info may be helpful to our other newbies here.

Do you have a projected surgical date yet?  Do you have any other questions?  Remember, we're here to help.  Visit often & lets get to know each other.  You may be surprised to learn how many "sisters" you acquire...lol.

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Ms Court
on 9/1/09 10:00 pm - Remington, VA
I think that part of the purpose of the nutrition requirements are for 1.  To teach you about the needs of your body after surgery, and 2. gauge your effort and determination on losing weight.  Not to say you will get disqualified for losing on not losing.  Put that is just my "interpretaion" on why they do it.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views