tooth discoloration after RNY

JMarion
on 8/27/09 8:52 am
Okie dokie folks...I just had laproscopic rny on the 19th.  And so far, I'm upand running..lol  well walking anyway!  But this afternoon hubby noticed that my teeth are partially gray?!?!  It's weird.  I've brushed like a madwoman and nada....still partially gray--upper and lower front are the worst.  Any ideas??  I'm thinking maybe my vitamins are the culprits....but I'm open to suggestions....

Thanks!
Jenn
vagirl00
on 8/27/09 10:21 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hi, Jenn:

I haven't heard of that, but wondered if it could be something you are eating/drinking (i.e., grape flavored/colored protein drink)?  If you are concerned about it, you may want to check with your surgeon's office, or even your dentist.

Wish I could enlighten you more!  Good luck.
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Kitty Kat
on 8/27/09 8:17 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Jenn,

Here's some info that might help.

There has been very little research in this area, but there has been some speculation.  Here are some points to consider:

• We may suffer the effects now of problems that we have had in the past.  For instance, the enamel will be affected by the acid produced for those who had GERD (acid reflux) before surgery. The enamel may have been wearing away and only now has the problem been noticed.
  • If you had a history of binging and purging before surgery, then the enamel on your teeth will have been affected and is showing up as a problem now.
  • Dry mouth, also known as xerostomia, is definitely something that will cause dental problems because the acid in your mouth is not being washed away with saliva. Many weight loss surgery patients experience this after surgery. Also, many medications cause this. If this is a problem that you have, increase your water so your mouth does not stay dry.
  • Eating a lot of meat can cause the acidity of your saliva to increase.  This is very hard on your teeth.
  • It is accepted that dentures often do not fit after losing a lot of weight. Dentures become loose. In the same respect it is possible that spaces can open between your teeth and gums making you much more sensitive to heat and cold and increasing the possibility of periodontal problems.

Here are some things that you can do to help:

• Keep your mouth moist
  • Since we don’t eat and drink at the same time, it is possible that food stays on our teeth longer and is not washed away by liquid.  Brush your teeth or at least rinse your mouth following eating.
  • Whey protein acts as a buffer against tooth decay. Be sure you have whey protein in your diet.
  • Calcium is also extremely important to prevent tooth decay. Calcium is the most important mineral for protecting teeth.

Many people admitted that their problems with their teeth were increasing, but that it might be a normal part of the aging process. That may be true but the recommendations above are good to do regardless.

In addition, its known that poor absorption of calcium and low Vit D levels can all contribute to poor dental hygeine following WLS. I would sincerely suggest calling your surgeon's office to ask what information they can provide you with and then call your dentist office & ask if there is a dentist there who's dealt with WLS patients and post-op dental care. Also, you might consider finding a dentist that has experience in post-op dental care if your does not.

For me, I have sensitive teeth to begin with. Its also about the things we eat and drink that can cause stains and gum irritability as well as decay in general. Its a MUST to take our vits and get our labs checked. Please follow up with your surgeon's office and find out what your lab levels are. Make sure you are taking enough calcium and Vit D. I've experienced issues with both as well as iron.

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Penny Denny
on 8/27/09 9:39 pm - Collinsville, VA
Hi Jenn,

I wanted to say hello to you. We have the same dr. I don't see too many folks from the Roanoke area on this board, so I love it when I get to "meet" someone. Do you attend the support group meetings? Dr Lucktong is the best!!! I had rny last April and have lost 119 pounds. Everything is going great. I feel really good.

I did get a few cavities soon after my surgery. Of course I had them taken care of and at my last dentist appt everything was good. The dentist gave me a extra fluoride toothpast to use. Maybe you can call your dentist and see if he sells that at this office. I don't have an answer to your questions, but I am curious. Please keep us posted if you call the doc.

Best wishes on this great journey, Penny

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ms Court
on 8/27/09 9:56 pm - Remington, VA
I know that I have issues now with my teeth being more sensitive.  Don't really notice a discoloration but haven't really looked for it either.  In the beginning when we are on soft foods and such it definitely affects the teeth.  Sorry I didn't have more specific answers.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

JMarion
on 8/28/09 2:05 am
Thanks for all the info gals!!  Fortunately, I seem to be brushing/drinking away the coloring.  I think it's the dye in these chewable vitamins I'm using.  I'm still calling my doctors office just to check on things, but I think I just need to avoid purple chewables, lol

Between the Tums and the vitamins i have a rainbow of chewables these days!!

Thanks again!!

Jenn
JMarion
on 8/28/09 2:09 am
You're right Penny, I haven't seen any other folks from this area on here!  LOL  I used to live in northern VA..seems like that is the "hotspot" !

And I really do like Dr. Lucktong.  He took over my case when my doctor in Radford decided to "leave the area (after 20 +yrs???)".  His office has been great to work with and really got me taken care of quickly.  So far so good!!

Thanks for responding!
Jenn
Ann S.
on 8/28/09 2:31 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Thanks, Jenn, for posting this question.  And thanks to all of you for your responses, especially Katt's.  Wow, that was a lot of interesting & helpful information & it all makes complete sense.  And so does the notion that it maybe the chewables (grape) causing the discoloration, but am glad you're still gonna check with your wl team, Jenn.

This is one of those threads that makes you go...Hmmmmm. (remember Arsenio Hall? lol)

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views