Virginia WLS law??

akindofmagick
on 8/27/09 4:00 am - MD
Hi,

I live in Maryland, which has an excellent WLS law.

My employer has opted to exclude WLS in our UHC insurance program.  The policy is written in VA.

Can anyone tell me if there is a WLS Law in VA?

TIA!!

Sheri (did I use enough acronymns??!!)

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

MerMer
on 8/27/09 6:35 am
Hello,

Just wanted to welcome to the VA Board. I'm not sure if there is a WLS law in VA. But just out of curiosity what does the law in MD state? I always thought it was up to your insurance company.

Tina22026
on 8/27/09 8:18 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Hi Sheri,  l have no idea but wanted to say "hello".

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Demeyez
on 8/27/09 11:50 am
Hi,
  I don't know about a law but I do know it is up to your employer group when they negotiate the contract for coverage with the insurance company. The employer group chooses what riders they whish to include in coverage (infertility, obesity, etc). If your employer elects not to carry the rider then you wont have coverage and it will be an exclusion to your policy.
Hope this helps
Can't is never an Option.        
Kitty Kat
on 8/27/09 7:46 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am,

Unfortunately I am not familiar with UHC. However, in doing a little research I have learned that it**** and miss with them. Your company decides whether or not to cover WLS. I would call them specifically and inquire about the coverage. If not, I understand some docs can choose to charge you a lesser self pay rate. Also, you might consider petitioning your company to include the rider in the next open enrollment period. I wish you all best! Keep us posted on your journey.

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

akindofmagick
on 8/28/09 12:38 am - MD
Unfortunately, we just started with this brand new insurance program on 1 June. It'll be next summer - agghhh!! I'm ready NOW!!!!

Thanks, everyone!

Sheri

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Ms Court
on 8/27/09 9:50 pm - Remington, VA
The only VA law that I am aware of is for state government employees.  The state government has to have at least one health care option that offers obesity surgery coverage.

Not familiar with Md or UHC.

Have a great day!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

melanie M.
on 8/28/09 6:50 am - Hopewell, VA
I am unsure about the Va laws but I had UHC years ago(2005) and they couldnt cover me for WLS due to employer didnt carry MO Rider.  I had to wait until hubby could change health insurances to get coverage through different company. Do your research, call UHC and ask them questions and proof of your coverage.. Good luck!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views