Portsmouth Naval Medical Center

Pamela P.
on 8/26/09 1:37 pm - Hampton, VA
Hi, I'm new here and looking in to getting wls.  Can anyone tell me the process to get in the queue for Portsmouth Naval Medical Center.  I'm retired military and live in the Tidewater area.  Can/should i just show up for the next support group meeting or are they only for people already in the system?
Thanks,
Pam
Kitty Kat
on 8/26/09 8:54 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Pam,

I am not familiar with Portsmouth Naval Medical Center. However, I wanted to welcome you to the VA Board and hope that you continue to share your journey with us moving forward.

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Jen R.
on 8/26/09 9:43 pm - VA
Hi Pam,
Welcome to our Virginia Board.
I am a dependent and had my surgery at PNH 2 years ago.
First, the support group is for everyone. Call PNH 953-0000 ask for the bariatric clinic  to find out when the support group meets.

Second, you must be referred by your PCM to meet with the surgeons if you have Tricare Prime.
If you have Tricare Standard, call the benefits office to find out their requirements.

Do you have any idea which surgery you feel is best for you?

Jen      

akindofmagick
on 8/27/09 3:56 am - MD
I just this minute joined the VA Board in an effort to learn if there is a WLS law in VA like the one in MD (my employer's insurance policy is written in VA).

I'm retired Navy, and have decided upon the gastric sleeve.  My BMI is 35.5. Minor comorbidities.  Tricare Standard.

I live in Laurel, MD - egads - do you have to physically attend a support group in Portsmouth? How often??

Holy Moly - I'm stunned to learn that a military hospital does WLS - but next question:

HOW EXPERIENCED ARE THE SURGEON(S)??

Is there a TRICARE board??

Sheri

I've been fat, and I've been thin - and thin is better.  

There is a better way. --Alaine of Lyndar 
--------------------------
HW: 234. SW: 228 (18 June 2015). GW: 137. Specs: 50ish, 5'4"

Jen R.
on 8/27/09 4:23 am - VA
Hi Sheri

Please add me as a friend and read some of my old blogs about PNH.I don't know about WLS laws or the in's and out's so to speak about Tricare standard.For Portsmouth, you need not attend a support group. The surgeons are absolutely wonderful at PNH. Dr. Chastenet, Dr. Kevan Mann and now a Dr. Barker is there

PS...there is no Tricare  board but there is an insurance board on here somewhere

Jen      

Pamela P.
on 8/27/09 4:27 am - Hampton, VA

At the moment i have a call in to the bariatric clinic but haven't actually been able to speak to anyone yet.  I'm Tricare Standard.  Does anyone know if I need a referral anyway or can I go directly to the clinic?
Thx,
Pam

meantine
on 8/27/09 12:50 pm
Pam,  First you can add me to your friends and read all my blogs.  I im one year since my surgery and I had it at PMNC.  YES you need a referral from your PCH to even get started.  YOu can go to the support group without being in the system yet.  We meet the first Thursday of the Month.  I will be looking for you.  I love to go to the meetings.  They are really really good meetings.  I will love to talk to you more just message me.
  I will be looking forward to speaking to you more about this.
             Christine
akindofmagick
on 8/28/09 5:28 am - MD
It appears from looking at their website that PHMC only performs RNY procedures.

I'm only interested in  the VSG procedure.

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks,

Sheri

Jen R.
on 8/29/09 2:29 pm - VA
I believe that they will look and determine options at your consult.

Jen      

akindofmagick
on 8/29/09 3:48 pm - MD
Is it true the wait list is 12-18 months, tho??

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views