Dr. Anez/Realize Band/Aetna HMO

CandaceHasCurves
on 8/26/09 10:10 am - Alexandria, VA
Hey everyone!

Has anyone had a Realize Band put in? How do you like it? All I hear is that you don't lose much weight with it...is that correct? Should I seek out lap band instead or bypass? i don't want to have weightloss surgery twice! :)

... I was finally able to get in to meet with Dr. Anez...he looked at me and said i should get a Realize Band bc i'd "lose too much weight" with bypass...whatever that means! :) I think he was saying I'm big boned? :) ha! I am 5'7" ish and 266...want to be about 145.

My BMI is qualifying--41.6/42 so I am suposed to start this 3 month nutritionist bootcamp thing to meet Aetna's requirements to get their approval for the surgery. I'd really, REALLY like to hear from anyone who has seen Dr. Anez or has a Realize Band or has the Aetna HMO (I swear we have PPO but the dr says it is actually an HMO...who knows)

I was set to meet Dr. Brody in DC but his receptionist didn't return my call for a week to set up the first appointment...and that kind of freaked me out! Like, if it takes a week to hear back about scheduling an appointment--what else should I expect, you know? She had been off one of those days, but still..I think that is sort of ridiculous...am I being too hard on this? Should I give his staff/him another shot? Has anyone seen Dr. Brody?

Thanks, everyone, for your support and kindness; this is SO SCARY but so exciting!

Christina R.
on 8/26/09 10:16 am - Reston, VA
Wow...I haven't been on here in forever and the first post I read I can contribute towards! :-)

First...welcome...seems like you're a newbie.

Next...I used Dr. Anez over 3 years ago. He's a really great surgeon, just don't expect too much bedside manner...at least that's my experience. His staff is OUTSTANDING...love, love, love his PA Tiffany and the nutritionist he usually refers (Sally). He likely said you'd lose too much because you're barely over the 100 pounds overweight...I lost that much in the first 6 months (though we all lose at different rates). I don't have any experience with the Realize Band, so I can't help you there. I had Aetna during my surgery process...I must say they were really easy to deal with if you follow the steps. Go through the bootcamp, jump through the hoops and just keep persevering through the process....you'll get there if you're meant to get there.

I hear ya on the scary but exciting part...I remember being terrified and excited all at the same time.

Best to you,

Christina
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass - it is about learning how to dance in the rain." - Unknown
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance." - Unknown

CandaceHasCurves
on 8/26/09 10:27 am - Alexandria, VA
THANK YOU so mcuh for your quick and thoughtful response! :)

I was always about 120-130lbs before the weight issue (complication from Lunelle birth control shot; Oy! Thank god it is off the market now) I just kind of gave up hope of ever being that thin again and have settled on "145" as the ideal weight bc I think it is more possible...so would it be possible that bypass would take me below the 125lbs and actually cause me to be underweight?

I am SO GLAD to hear Aetna was "easy" ish! :) I am new to Aetna, and the idea of hoop jumping is so brand new to me! :) My old insurance I got to go where I wanted, see who I wanted, and never needed approval or referals...

I saw Ashley for a brief moment in his office...not sure what the receptionist's name was...but I liked the office staff; they were nice and knowledgable.

Thank you, again, SO MUCH!!
CandaceHasCurves
on 8/26/09 10:35 am - Alexandria, VA
...and one more question...what was the 3 month nutritionist bootcamp thing like?

I am afraid (probably paranoid) that they would use it to try and disqualify me from surgery...eg, if i got below 40bmi bc of it, then they'd say I couldn't get it anymore...does that make sense?
Christina R.
on 8/26/09 10:40 am - Reston, VA
If I remember right, the nutrition bootcamp stuff was more learning ABOUT food and starting to make changes to your food habits rather than really focusing on losing weight. I wouldn't worry too much about it...really.

As for getting to an underweight spot...I've seen it happen...but haven't even reached my goal yet (I know why, just still fighting old habits...they do die hard!).

Hopefully Courtney or some of the others can pop in here and tell you more as well...or you can read through my blog...it's all in there...HA!

Best,

Christina
"Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass - it is about learning how to dance in the rain." - Unknown
"Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance." - Unknown

Kitty Kat
on 8/26/09 7:57 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am! Welcome & hope to hear more about your journey. I had Lap RNY in 03 and will be 7 years post op in Jan 2010. To be honest I do know enough about the Realize band to give an feedback. I want to wish you all best on your journey. Know that we are help to help when & where we can.

:)

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Ms Court
on 8/26/09 11:11 pm - Remington, VA

And here I am.  :)

I also had open RNY so I can't give much of an opinion about the Realize Band.  Definitely research it and learn as much as you can. Don't just go by what the Dr. says.  It does make sense that at the weight you are at you may end up losing too much with bypass.  I too have seen it happen.  It isn't that you don't lose much with the band as much as it is a slower, more controled loss.

I too had Dr. Anez.  Have had a wonderful experience.  The staff is great as Christina said.  The nutrition boot camp is more about learnign nutrition, what your body will need after surgery and how to work your tool.

I don't have Aetna so can't really comment there either.  Sorry.  As for Dr. Brody, no I don't think you are being too hard on that.  It shouldn't take more than a week to return a call.  How frustrating.

Best wishes to you as your journey begins.  :)

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views