ulcer update and my new attitude

~~Theresa Marie~~
on 8/23/09 3:15 pm - Closing in on SkinnyVille, VA
So I was back in the ER a week or so ago thinking that Eunice, (the name I gave my ulcer) was actively bleeding. Thank goodness that it wasn't but they did call my WLS dr as he was on call that weekend. He ordered a ****tail, which happened to be the worst thing that I have ever put in my mouth, maalox and lidocaine, ewwww. It helped once it started numbing things as it went down. He also prescribed Zofran for nausea, Carafate for the ulcer and Vicodin for the pain. For the first few days it did help.

I had already scheduled a follow up with Dr Bautista, my WLS dr to discuss the ulcer with him. I went in to see him last Tuesday. He said that based on what the maalox did and made me feel, that it is evident that the ulcer is still irritable and causing issues even if it isn't bleeding. He said we are at the max with what we can do with medications and is giving it 2 more weeks, until my next follow up, September 4. If things are no better nausea and pain speaking and I'm still not able to tolerate too much food or drink, then he will order me an EGD to get a new look at it and schedule surgery to repair it. Seems like he will go in laproscopically and sever the intestines from the new pouch, remove the ulcered tissue on both pieces, (since that's where my ulcer is) and then reconnect it. He said it will definitely help, may even solve the issue and may make my pouch a bit smaller... Which could help get these last 20 lbs off.

A part of me wants the surgery. So that the pain will end but... with the WLS last April, open heart surgery this past April and the defibrillator procedure in October, it will be the 4th surgery in 18 months. That's alot. So time will tell....

Now I am apologizing for my part in this board not doing too well. Emotions were shared, thoughts and feelings were shared and not always agreed on. I admit that I am a hot tempered girl and sometimes when things do not go my way or the way I think they should, I pull away. I was (maybe still am) going through moments, depression, times where I have issues and am very little support for myself, I didn't think I could be supportive to anyone else. But with my ulcer situation, I realized that my story can and will help someone so here I am. I may not be around daily, to post but will try. But am always here through emails. I do hope this board can be like it was. It is and needs to be supportive.

Thanks for reading & I look forward to the future of our VA board!

Theresa Marie
Lap RNY  - April 30, 2008
Open heart surgery (mitral valve repair & MAZE) - April 13, 2009
356/297.5/152.5/170/150 - consult/surgery morn/now/dr goal/my goal
Skinnyville is NO longer miles away...  It's a mere walk to the corner!!
Facebook me @ Theresa Marie Lehman

Kitty Kat
on 8/23/09 9:04 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Theresa,

I'm praying things get better & better for you. Ulcers are serious & no fun. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks its heals. I know its a lot of surgery you've had and the thought of another isn't the best picture to paint. Still if it brings healing & relief let it happen & pray for the best outcome.

I think everyone can be supportive of one another. We have to remember why we all came here in the first place. No matter our progress in the journey we can always learn something new. I'll be hitting 7 years post-op in Jan & I still learn new things. A lot has changed and a lot more stays the same. A rejuvination is coming I feel. :)

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Jen R.
on 8/23/09 10:51 pm - VA
Hey girl,

You have always had a great attitude with all you have been through. Wishing you results.
I'm too far to come and help but I ma here for moral support.

Jen      

Pat F.
on 8/24/09 12:26 am - Richmond, VA
Thersa, I agree with you on that ****tail it is no fun and tasts horrible. Keep up with what the doctors say and it will get better. My ulcer is better now but can act up at anytime. Come on the board when you can and update us. Trust in the Lord to carry you through this and may God bless you and keep you in his loving hands.
They will do what is best for you and just trust them in this. Sending you love and prayers.

vagirl00
on 8/24/09 8:49 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Theresa,

I am sorry you are having to deal with so much.  I sure hope things get better for you, and soon. 
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Tina22026
on 8/24/09 8:49 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Theresa Marie - I for one am glad you're on the board and proof positive we all need support.  I am sorry you are having to go through all of this though but glad to hear you have a good WLS Dr. who will see you through.   Best of luck with the next 2 wks and the upcoming surgery in October.  Chin up girl - we're here for ya!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Ann S.
on 8/26/09 5:16 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Welcome back, Little One...you HAVE been missed.

Your post touched me, TM...really.  I'm glad that you are posting again & you are right...your experiences WILL help others.  Frankly, the wl surgery is the easy part...it's what comes next that can challenge every single one of us in some form or another.  As for the other surgeries coming up, I don't blame you for feeling concerned.  I would too.  I think any one of us would.  What's great about you though, is even though you voice your worries/concerns/fears, you don't let them stop you from being an active participant in your own healthcare.  So I   you for pushing your docs to work for you.  You're still so young with a long life ahead of you & many, many adventures that you've yet to experience.  You keep fighting, kiddo, & know that we all have your back!!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views