Itchy skin

Heide A.
on 8/23/09 4:22 am - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
Ok, trying to give the board another shot. I will be 6 months post op tomorrow and have lost 130 lbs, give or take 3 lbs. My hair has been falling out and I have freaked over it, but I have noticed new growth so I'm not so freaked anymore. Now my issue is really itchy skin, is it can it be related to my weight loss? Any ideas? I am going to my PCP on Wednesday.
364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

Penny Denny
on 8/23/09 5:05 am - Collinsville, VA
I had the same problem at about 8 months out with the itchy skin. My conclusion was that it was coming from aspartame in Crystal Light. I was drinking about 4 packets per day. I still have CL on occassion, but not as often.

Just a possiblitiy.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ms Court
on 8/23/09 6:12 am - Remington, VA
I also had the same issue.  Actually had always had dry skin before surgery.  After surgery I made an effort to make lotion a part of my daily routine.  Oil of Olay Quench and I are best friends, lol.  I have a much better time now and my skin is soooo soft.  I also think that your water intake has a part in it.  If you aren't getting enough in then your skin isn't hydrated enough.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 8/23/09 9:56 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
I found hydrating my skin, both through lotions and drinking enough fluid (like Courtney mentioned) helped me a lot.  The Oil of Olay Quench is great, and so are the Aveeno and Eucerin lotions/creams. 

Please let us know what your PCP says.....good luck!  :)

PS  Thanks for giving the Board another shot...with everyone's help, it can become the warm, welcoming place it always was.
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Toobcherished
on 8/23/09 11:31 am - Henrico, VA
No comment on the itchy sking but wanted to say 130lbs WOW.  I sooo want to be you in 2 years.  Congrats! :-)
Kitty Kat
on 8/23/09 9:08 pm - Richmond, VA
Good am Heide,

First, I would like to suggest you call your doc and give them a heads up & work with them to check out any underlying issues you may not be aware of. I don't have the itchy skin so much as the dry skin. For me, I absolutely ADORE Eucerin cream. Its used on babies in the NICU/PICU as well & is very moisturizing. You can buy it pretty much any place these days.

All best!

Kitty Kat - Lap RNY 29th Jan 03
Blessed Momma to Kayla & Nora
Sober since 25th Aug 07 
www.the-butterfly-chronicles.blogspot.com
Thankful for the easy, grateful for the hard & hopeful for tomorrow.

Jen R.
on 8/23/09 10:46 pm - VA

I had a hard time loosing hair when I was between 4-7 months.  The loss stopped probably around  month 8 and I held status quo. Two years later my hair is back to normal..although I'[ve cut it really short!

Itchy skin could be a thyroid issue or another hormone issue. You can always call your surgeons office; they have heard it all!

Please let me know the results and post them here...We never stop learning!

Jen      

Tina22026
on 8/24/09 8:43 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
First off, welcome back Heide been wondering where you've been!  You're looking great and doing awesome.  I'm so glad you asked that - l've been having itchy skin for about a month now mostly in the belly area (LOL thought l was the only one).   I do drink my fluids faithfully but it's not enough to help the skin - so l've turned to moisturizers too.  Especially my face - whew - l've gone from oily to dry in 6 months!   Let us know what your PCM says and congrats on your success!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Ann S.
on 8/26/09 5:32 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Great thread, Heide!  And look at all the helpful responses.  I guess I'll be buying me some lotion too!!  Thanks for bringing this up.

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Heide A.
on 8/26/09 10:47 am - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
Good Evening All, so I went to my PCP today and asked about my itchy skin, and this is what he had to say: My insides are still healing from my RNY 6 months ago, but my skin is also still healing, and like when a cut is healing it itches, the skin is doing the same thing. My skin was stretch and kinda tearing the fibers to fit my large body, and now it doesn't have to do that an more it's getting a chance to heal. So I a, to drink as much water as I can, lotion, lotion, lotion lotion, and then lotion again. If I do scratch  be careful, and if I do damage to the skin use triple antibiotic ointment . He also is having me do blood work to see if I might have RA( rheumatoid arthritis).
364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views