Protein Drinks

Firestargold
on 8/18/09 7:39 am - Manassas, VA
Hi, I am new to the forum and recently had my surgery. I am having a hard time finding a protein drink i like, any recommendations?
vagirl00
on 8/18/09 8:36 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Depending on your tastes:

For fruity drinks, I recommend Isopure (in the glass bottles) -- you can get them at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe.  Varying flavors, 40g protein.  Over ice worked best for me.

Also for fruity:  Nectar.   I have found it at www.netrition.com.

For chocolate, vanilla and a few other flavors, to include a chicken soup:  Unjury.  www.unjury.com.

Ready to Drink (RTD):  Muscle Milk Light (I prefer chocolate).  You can pick up smaller quantities at GNC and Vitamin Shoppe.  If you find you like them, Costco carries them by the case at a very good price, and have had some good discounts through coupons of late.  I keep these in the 'fridge to drink them nice and cold, and they are convenient for those days when I am on the run.

Good luck!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Tina22026
on 8/18/09 12:35 pm
RNY on 01/14/09 with
I agree with Cindy but you can also go to www.bariatriceating.com and order a sample pack and try a variety to see what your taste buds will like.

One of my favorites was introduced by Brittany at one of our support group meetings at Potomac.  lt's slim fast Low carb - only comes in Vanilla or chocolate.   lt is low in fat, low in sugars and has 20 grams of protein per can.  Ready to drink for on the go!

Good luck!!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Ann S.
on 8/18/09 11:01 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Hi Tina!!  You're looking beautiful as ever!

Just a quick question...does your Nut. say anything about the need for whey protein rather than soy?  I looked up SF on their website & checked the ingredients.  All of their products use soy protein.  Just thought I would mention that. Perhaps someone else can comment on this as well...I may be all wrong.  Hey...it's been known to happen! LOL

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Tina22026
on 8/19/09 12:56 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Yes, she says especially in the beginning whey isolate protein is the way to go but l have both (now that l'm 7 months out) and only one SF day.   Some people can't tolerate it l guess but l seem to be doing okay with it.

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

Penny Denny
on 8/18/09 1:14 pm - Collinsville, VA
I like the EAS Advantage shakes. You can buy them at Wal Mart and most other grocery stores. I put them in the freezer for about 30 minutes before drinking to get them really cold. All flavors are good, but I like chocolate best.

283/274/162
highest/surgery/current

Ann S.
on 8/18/09 11:17 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Hi there & welcome to the best OH board on the eastern seaboard!!  Good for you, popping in here & asking questions.  We LOVE answering them as best we can.

I had lapband surgery...don't know what you had...but I believe we all have the same protein recommendations from our Nut.  As you see, I posed the question through Tina's post to you about which is better/recommended...whey vs. soy.  My Nut told me whey.  So hopefully somebody will respond & help clear up the mystery.

But mostly I just wanted to pop in & say hello & welcome you to the board.  With new information coming down the pike all the time, we old-timers learn from you newbies too so please continue to come here & share your wl journey with us all.

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Ms Court
on 8/18/09 11:57 pm - Remington, VA
I also had a hard time in the beginning finding one I liked.  I ordered as many samples as I could and then just tried different ones every time I had a shake.  I ended up really liking the Isopure zero carb, dutch chocolate powder.  I have recently started doing shakes again and I am currently using the Designer Whey chocolate.  It mixes well, doesn't have that protein taste, but the chocolate flavor is weaker than I prefer.

Remember too that you can enhance your drinks.  Adding sugar free syrups, creamers, fruits, crystal light or other mixes can help.

My nut also said we should do whey protein, apparently we absorb it better.  Good luck finding some you like.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

MerMer
on 8/19/09 4:01 am
Hello,

I use the slim fast low carb, my nutrionist suggested it. It seems to be the only one I can tolerate. Before I was a chocolateholic, no I can't really tolerate the taste. So the vanilla cream works best for me.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views