protein shakes

Kelly W.
on 8/10/09 3:05 pm - Hampton, VA
Can someone please tell me if we are to continue with the protein shakes even after we have reached our goal weight. I quit drinking them about 4 months ago, and I have noticed that my hair is thinning. I started taking biotin supplements, but doesn't seem to make a difference. Just wondering if it is from not drinking the shakes anymore.

Ms Court
on 8/10/09 10:33 pm - Remington, VA
I think it really depends on yours dr.'s prefrences and your own.  I have not continued with mine (quit about a year out).  I don't seem to have any problems with my hair but I do get in enough protein through my food.  That may be something you should check into.  I will be going back to my shakes though.  I have gotten off track and gained a little and want to get it back off.  Shakes are going to be my best option to avoid snacking. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

lysb
on 8/10/09 11:13 pm - Alexandria, VA
I'm 1 year, 4 months out, i'm still doing them, they do keep me from overeating and give me a good energy boost.  I check with your surgeon's office and see what they recommend.  Also, have you tried taking biotin? lys

Melissa N.
on 8/11/09 12:27 am - Stafford, VA
Kelly,

Protien defiencies can cause your hair to fall out.  I would continue using your protien shakes if you are not able to meet your protien goal through food.  I think the goal is 90-120 grams of protien a day.  I am not able to meet my protien goals a day with out the shake.  So at a year 14 months out I am still doing one shake a day.  The shake's pupose is not help you loose weight but help you maintain a healthy level of protien because you are not able to maximize your intake through food.  If you are meeting your protien goal through food then you should be OK.  If you are losing hair at this point, you should go in anyways to your surgeon's office and have lab work done.  hair loss is an indication or several different diffcencies inlcluding protien, iron and B12.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

vagirl00
on 8/11/09 6:54 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
At almost two years out, I still use the shakes as a supplement on the days when I am not getting enough protein through my food.  I can tell you from personal experience that not getting enough protein in for an extended period of time caused me to go through a period of my hair falling out.  The solution was kicking up my protein level again.  Good luck.  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views