Liver reduction diet

JMarion
on 8/10/09 6:33 am
Hey there!

I'm gearing up for my RNY on August 19th (thank the good Lord!!) and am on the "liver reduction diet".  I'm just wondering if anyone has suggestions for decent meals I can try...other than frozen dinners, lol !!

Thanks!

~ Julie ~
on 8/10/09 6:52 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Good luck with your surgery!

The only thing I'd suggest is to read labels. Preop, I was put on a diet of no more than 30g carbohydrates per day, and at LEAST 70g protein. For me, this basically just meant cutting out all bread, all pastas, anything with carbohydrates, and eating as much meat (one day I was hungry enough to eat a POUND of bacon as a meal, though I wouldn't suggest it) as I could. Also, you want to drink at LEAST 64oz of water a day, and more if you can handle it. This will help flush your system and will help you lose more. There was a point that I was walking at least 30 min a day and eating almost nothing, but I went back to the surgeon and had GAINED weight because I wasn't drinking enough water. Then I upped the water, went back the next week, and the gain plus more came right back off.

You mention frozen meals, I'd stay away from these as much as you can. They have a LOT of carbohydrates (which will counteract your liver reduction diet) as well as salt, even the so called diet ones.

A typical meal for me at that time included a salad made mostly of lettuce and cheese, and some kind of chicken (Tyson at the time made these premade drumsticks that came three to a package, but I can't find them these days). Also, stay away from low fat salad dressings... they make up for the lack of fat with added sugar! Not good!

So I guess my suggestion is: salads (with regular dressing) and meat!

399    /371  /173.2/155
initial/preop/now/goal

The tough part of WLS is not the first year, it's those that follow.

lysb
on 8/10/09 8:17 am - Alexandria, VA
Thought i'd just stop by and wish you luck.  I did a 2 week liquid diet (optifast) to shrink my liver, so i have no other input.  I know how exciting this is now that the countdown is on!  Good luck to you! lys

caroline2622
on 8/10/09 9:37 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Julie made some great points.    Your diet should be similar to Atkins high protien diet.    

Watch out for pre packaged foods or pre marinated meats.. they are very high in sodium.  Cook or grill your meats.  

If having issues suggest chatting with a nutritionist.   Post op visits to the nutritionist helps us with making good food choices the rest of our lives. 

Good luck and keep in touch

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
JMarion
on 8/10/09 10:34 am
Thanks so much for the input!!  Honestly the doctors office suggested slimfast for breakfast and lunch then a lean cuisine, weigh****cher or healthy choice meal for dinner.  I hate those things--and you guys are right they are full of nasty stuff...so they told me I could fix my own...but didn't really give much other direction! lol

I think I will keep sticking to the protein and veggies...and lotsa water!!   My husband had RNy 4 yrs ago and didn't have to do this....so I was kinda at a loss :o)

Thanks again!!

Jennifer
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views