Surgery date confirmed

melslongjourney
on 8/10/09 2:06 am
I normally write over at the realize band forum but most of my doctors patients are here. I live in Maryland but found that Dr. Tran was the doctor that I wanted to perform my surgery. I have met alot of blue point surgical patients at their support meetings and of course the seminars. You all are awesome! I am so looking forward to joining your losers bench :)

So I just hung up with Ruth not 10 minutes ago and I am on the calendar for Dec 2, 2009 8am. That's the date my life is going to really change. I have been unsure about the getting the band over the RYN as alot of folks that come here are. I am still a little unsure at this point. I need to lose 120lbs and I feel that surgical intervention is the way I just need to make sure that I am making the right choice the first time. Any thoughts to help me?

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

Brenda E.
on 8/10/09 3:17 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
Congrats on getting your date Mel!!  As far as making the decision between RNY and the band I think that has to be a personal decision.  For me it was a no brainer because I have so much to lose and I really dont have the self control to not snack or eat things I shouldnt without the help.  RNY will keep me honest with what I need to eat. 

Best of luck with your decision and again congrats on getting your date!!!
~ Julie ~
on 8/10/09 4:13 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Congratulations on getting your date! For me, the decision was not made by me, but by my surgeon. My sister preceded me into WLS, having had the RNY, and did fantastically well. When I went in for my consult, he basically told me that a band was not going to give me the results I wanted (I had [technically] about 250lbs to lose) and that RNY was the only way to go. I am thrilled with the results (maintaining now at about -230 from where I started) but I do wish I had investigated more of the surgeries that are geared to the super morbidly obese as I was (such as the DS), at the very least for comparison sake.

No matter which surgery you choose, it is a lifelong commitment. You will do just fine. Keep in mind also that nothing in life is set in stone, so should it not work for you (and for some people, problems do crop up where it doesn't), you do have the option of going back later and trying something else in the form of a revision.

For what it's worth, having WLS is like buying a car. Regardless of which car you buy, it will still take you from point A to point B. You just have to decide on how you want to get there, and which options you want (or don't want!) to have along the way.

Best of luck,

Julie
399    /371  /173.2/155
initial/preop/now/goal

The tough part of WLS is not the first year, it's those that follow.

caroline2622
on 8/10/09 9:51 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
Congratulations on your surgery date.       Have you consider the Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy?
Not sure if Dr Tran does but his associate Dr Moazzez has experience with the VSG.     You may want to consider researching on it.    Check to see if your insurance covers it.

No matter what surgery, wish you the best.

Good luck!   Caroline

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
melslongjourney
on 8/11/09 11:38 pm
Thanks for the note. I have looked in the VSG and with RYN it's just so invasive not that the band isn't but the changing on the body that bothers me the most. I know with all these it is all personal choice as well as what the doctor will recommend. I am 37 and have no children, and of course would like to have some, so the band with accomodate that goal better per my PCP.
I have never met that doctor but I heard he was very nice. I am self pay on everything my insurance excludes anything to do with WLS. Funny thing is I work for a insurance co. LOL 

Take care!

~Melissa~
SW/326 CW/224 GW/175
~ 4cc added in 11cc realize- C band~ 02/08/10~
~1 cc added 03/08/10
~1 cc added 05/03/10
~ 1cc added 07/26/10
~ .05 cc added 09/09/10
~ .05 cc added 01/06/11
~ .25 cc added 06/06/11

vagirl00
on 8/10/09 10:40 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Congratulations on making the decision to have WLS.  I am also a patient of Bluepoint, and really like Dr. Tran, along with Drs. Halmi and the other members of the practice. 
Regarding making a decision about which surgery:  My recommendation is that you really, really, really research what is out there, talk to others who have had the various surgeries, and most importantly, talk to your surgeon.  I would venture a guess that each of us have different reasons for picking the surgery we did.  It is a very personal decision, and one you want to be very, very comfortable with.

If it helps at all, the reason I decided on RNY over LapBand was simple:  I didn't trust myself to be committed enough to the program with LapBand.  I needed the restrictions that RNY offer, and knew that if I went that route, I would "stick with the program."  LapBand would have allowed me to eat things that I couldn't initially with RNY.

Good luck with your decision.  Just remember:  be an informed patient!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Ms Court
on 8/10/09 10:29 pm - Remington, VA
Congratulations on your decision for a new you.  As the others said, research your options.  It is important to be informed so you make the best decision about surgery for you.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views