Exercise help

Ms Court
on 8/5/09 10:58 pm - Remington, VA
Okay I need some exercise assistance.  I don't have a gym membership right now and don't think I can really afford one.  I need some ideas and assistance.

I know walking is an option, I can and will do it but need more.  I am not a runner so not sure that one is good for me.

I love to ride bikes but don't have one (any one know of one that needs a new home, free or little cost preferred).

I would love to get some exercise equipment for home that my whole family can make use of.  (again anyone know of any that needs a new home, free or little cost?)

I would love to do some yoga, belly dancing on video from home.  Any suggestions on some good, basic dvd's.  I can provide disks if you have a great one and the capability of burning it for me or I can go out and purchase one.

Thanks ahead of time for your assistance!!

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Jen R.
on 8/5/09 11:45 pm - VA
Courtney,

I'll check out my DVD's and get back to you.

Some free excercise gear...a coffee can with a handle..I have Maxwell House in the plastic jug kinda thing. put it on a scale and fill to desired weight with rice, beans, stones.

Beach towels or a broom stick...twist side to side..ie right elbow to left side vice versa

Use your wall to do push ups. This helps me tremendously since I have very arthritic knees.

Lastly go to the library and also check your TV guide for exercise shows...Gilad, Denise Austin are a couple that come to mind.

No matter what your abilities are everyone can do some type of exercise..even sitting in a cha

Jen      

c4mp1ng
on 8/6/09 1:17 am - Crozet, VA
I was able to stock a room full of home personal exercise equipment from garage sales to a cost of ~$300.00. (Less than a couple months at a gym.)  Just make sure you check them out first  to ensure you don't get broken equipment that might cause injury.

My only take on having your own personal equipment is it has to be in a room that you LOVE to be in. If you don't like the setting, even having it in your house isn't going to motivate you to get in there! Brighten up the room in your house - make it somewhere you want to be!

Sometimes investing in a gym with a friend can be more successful because of the motivation factor.

Good luck!
vagirl00
on 8/6/09 7:05 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
I just let my gym membership expire...I just wasn't getting out of it what I thought I would.  Curves worked well for me, but I let that membership go when I thought I was going to progress to the gym.  (So much for that idea!)

So here is what I have been thinking about:  Jazzercise.  I did that many years ago, and it is relatively reasonably priced.  The only thing is that it isn't everywhere, so you may want to check to see if there are any classes near your new home.

Another idea I have been tossing around (aside from the walking that I do now) is that we have the FitTV channel as part of our cable lineup.  There are some great classes on there...if you have it on your lineup, that might be a nice easy way to catch some exercise classes for no more than what you are paying now for cable/satellite.  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

caroline2622
on 8/6/09 8:44 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
I have been working with a personal trainer right now.  I just got thru 12 weeks of Physical  therapy and now my 3rd week of training with her at the gym.    She works with Bariatric patients and she is suggesting Pilates or Yoga classes to work out and stretch.  

There are DVD's out there.    

Could you afford the Wii fit  ? There is a yoga ...   

How abou****er aerobics?   In Prince William County $35 a month

By the way I am working with exersise ball and doing squats with extra hand weights....       Just the swats with pelvic tiilts are doing me good and dang my butt hips and legs are feeling it.      I dropped another size down this month.   The weight during this time has slowed down. 

I wish I had a training buddy.   I do not like the idea of the trainer , but I need the modivation.   I see her once a week then work 2 days by myself.   

Hang in there and let us know what is working for you. 

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
Ann S.
on 8/6/09 9:03 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Another terrific thread, C...thanks!!!  This will help me as well.

Lots of terrific ideas.  I have some too, believe it or not.  I saw a woman on the Today Show that couldn't afford the personal gym equipment either so she would go to the local park with her kids.  Instead of sliding down the slide, she would run UP it.  She would do pull-ups on the monkey bars.

A friend of mine would walk the track while her son was at soccer practice...your girls do soccer still, right C?

I like the idea of the coffee can, wall push-ups, etc.  I might be able to do those.  Oh, I also use the stairs in my house.  I can't run up & down them, but I use the bottom step as a stair stepper.

And of course, there's WiiFit.  Yes, it's a bit of an investment, but worth it & it's fun & the whole family can do them too.  The hula hoop is a riot!!!

So ok, I'll be back from Ohio on Sunday, so I will get with this other stuff on Monday morning.  No, really....I WILL!!! lol

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

~ Julie ~
on 8/10/09 3:56 am - Reston, VA
RNY on 04/18/06 with
Hahaha. Wii Fit. My inlaws got me one of those for my birthday, and really, it does work, I think. I tried one set of exercises and woke up the next day with my calves hurting, so I tried different ones the next day, and so my calves AND thighs were hurting. Something must be working, I think. 

The only part I don't like (even though it kind of makes me laugh) is the fact that when you get on the balance board, the thing says "OHHHH!" like you have perhaps just injured it.

399    /371  /173.2/155
initial/preop/now/goal

The tough part of WLS is not the first year, it's those that follow.

Jen R.
on 8/12/09 11:50 pm - VA
Wii Fit is great for the yoga for me. When I do the skiing downhill racing I over do it!
danie
on 8/7/09 2:54 am - virginia beach, VA
check out craigs list look in the free section. Also have you ever done Taebo  i have some of the tapes I can get my hubby to burn some. let me know
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views