Greetings from an Oldie

Jen R.
on 8/5/09 9:06 am - VA
I am rededicating myself to putting weight loss experience goth good and bad on here.

So to those of you whom I do not know:  Hi ya
my name is Jen, I had RNY June 6 2007. I had absolutely no problems after surgery. I contribute all of this to changing my behaviors PRIOR to surgery..
I dump on ice cream and fats such as a fatty piece of meat like ribs. Since you do need good fats, small amounts of nuts such as almonds are a good choice as is olive oil.

I am still a slave to the scale. The batteries on my scale quit and I went about 2 months with out my scale. I have also been off track with my eating plan and I have gained 10lbs. Too many carbs have been my downfall. My scale is now working and I have gotten back on track. There is no better 'recipe' than PROTEIN + WATER + VITAMINS + EXERCISE = WEIGHT LOSS
For the past 3 days my protein is now 100 grams and I meet 80+ oz of water a day. I am currently experiencing severe neck and back problems and can only do the physical therapy dictated by my doctor. However I have lost 5 lbs.

I welcome new friends and hope you become one of mine!

Jen      

Karen B.
on 8/5/09 9:50 am - VA
An oldie but good :) So glad to see your post. I too have gotten off track, between buying a new home and the place where I work being sold things have been a bit hectic leading to poor eating habits. I know I can turn it around so good luck to those who need to refocue WE Can Do IT ! :)

Karen Be gentle and kind
Lost over 200 pounds
Not skinny by any means but happy by all means :)
vagirl00
on 8/5/09 11:17 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Another oldie here -- though I can't believe I actually qualify -- seems like yesterday I started this journey.  I celebrate my two year surgiversary next month!  WOW. 

As a follow on to Jen (hi, Jen!):  My name is Cindy and I had my laprascopic RNY on September 19, 2007 and lost 161 lbs.  I have found that I tolerate some sugars, but sugar alcohols do me in (so sick to my stomach!) and fatty foods tear me up.  I am not a big meat eater, and for the first year and a half I didn't pu**** because my pouch didn't like red meat or chicken, and I don't like seafood...so I have found alternatives to get my protein in that have worked well for me. 

As Jen said, her "recipe" is exactly what is needed.  It is easy to stray, and I have, but I have found that getting back to it works every time.  Especially the exercise portion. 

So, for those newbies out there who have been "lurking" -- there are actually a lot of great people on this Board who have a lot of experience.  Pick their brains!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Ann S.
on 8/5/09 12:41 pm - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Yet another oldtimer here.. Hi!  My name is Ann & I had lapband surgery July 16, 2007.  I'm still struggling to get out of the terrible twos, as Dr. Mo calls it.  I get soooo close, & then back up 5 or 10 lbs.  Some my fault, some not.  I have cardiac issues that interfere with an exercise regime, but I am able to do some WiiFit.  I'm particularly partial to the yoga & I like the balance exercises. 

Even though my abilities are limited, I still challenge myself to try to ride my horse once in awhile.  I actually got up on him like a normal person recently, rather than having to stand on something to be up high enough.  I just couldn't haul my big butt up there!  But now I can.  Now, if only the weather would cool off, I'd be on him constantly!

My weakness is sweets!  I don't have any dumping with sugar, so my downfall is M&M peanuts.  My biggest problem is food getting stuck.  I have a tendency to get caught up in conversation rather than paying attention to either the size of bite I put in my mouth, or not chewing enough.  You would think that after 2 years, I would be more cognizant of my actions, but this journey is a constant work in progress.  So I try to make each new day a new start.  I also notice that when I am AWOL from this board, I tend to slip up.  So I'm back, with a vengeance!!  And I need to remember to follow the same advice that I give out.

I'm so excited to see so many jumping back on the bandwagon.  Together, we can make beautiful music together!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Ms Court
on 8/5/09 10:21 pm - Remington, VA
I am seeing some familiar faces that I have been missing!!!!!

Hi all!  I am Courtney, open RNY 11/05, I am almost 4 years out.  I did make goal (actually a little below goal) but have slipped up and need to get back on track.  I have started that process and have lost about 5 lbs already.  I can tolerate sugars, except ice cream, carbs don't bother me, fat doesn't bother me, most meats don't bother me.  As you can see I don't have food issues so I really have to stick to the rules, keep up my water & exercise.  And that is where I have stumbled.  I have gotten out of an exercise routine, not focusing on my water & vitamins.  I realize that these issues are my own fault.

Newbies: please do not let these stories scare you.  The surgery works, if you follow the rules and stick to it.  It is a lifestyle change and you must do it forever in order for it to continue to work.  As the others have mentioned, we have the tool we have to use it, getting back on track & making our tool work is the key when we slip.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Kelli
on 8/5/09 10:34 pm - Portsmouth, VA
Good Morning!! 

A real old timer here.  Havent been on in a very longggg time and for that I am sorry.  I am going to try and be faithful to the board again, like I used to be.

My name is Kelli,  I have RNY on 12/6/04.  almost 5 years ago.  I have lost a total of 125 lbs and pretty much keep it off.  I struggle daily with my vitamins.  I have had no complications (thank God). 

I used to be on here all the time when i was newly out and then started lurking and then not much of nothing. I miss everyone and all the support. 

Look forward to making new friends and meeting up with old friends.
dlo2
on 8/5/09 10:47 pm - Brandenburg, KY
Thank you all so much, My Names is Debbie and I am somewhat new to the board.  I have posted a few times asking questions.  My surgery is Sept. 8th.  These post were great and very helpful.  Some of my biggest concerns is not the surgery but what happens after.  These post helped calm some of my concerns.  Thanks for taking the time to post it is much appreciated.
Ms Court
on 8/5/09 10:52 pm - Remington, VA
It is great to have support from others who understand.  Your day is coming up soon.  Please feel free to ask questions, share your thoughts & fears and all.  We are here to help.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

vagirl00
on 8/6/09 6:50 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
I just wanted to echo what Courtney said....we are all here to help.  Please ask questions and we will do our best to try and get them answered for you.  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views