Support groups

Leia from MN
on 8/5/09 1:51 am - Richmond, VA
Hello again y'all!  (I'm practicing.)

I do enjoy attending a couple of support groups/coffee groups now.  What are the options in VA?  I would be looking for groups that allow people who did not have surgery within their doctors. 

Thanks!
Leia
292/189

Enjoying life and all of it's bumps and bruises along the way.

Ms Court
on 8/5/09 2:49 am - Remington, VA
I am sure you have mentioned it before and I just don't recall but where are you at in VA, that would help us answer your question better. 

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Leia from MN
on 8/5/09 4:16 am - Richmond, VA
I'm looking to be living in or near Richmond, as that's where it looks like I will be working.

But I'm not there yet.  And I don't have a firm date as to when either.

But I've been known to drive for an hour or two if there is a good group of people that I really feel like I fit in with.
Leia
292/189

Ann S.
on 8/5/09 3:03 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Ok yankee girl, we gonna southernize you yet!  And it's spelled Y A ' LL...lol.  But you're on the right track.

I believe you said you were considering the Richmond area.  There are lots of board members there & I'm hoping one or two of them will respond to your question.  I don't attend any formal group sessions where I live...too bloody far away.  But I do get together with OH buddies at least once a month for lunch & of course our conversation always turns to wl issues, so even though I'm not in an organized, doctor-sanctioned group, I DO still get good advice, through the lunches & through this board.

I love that you are a question asker...very important for your journey.  So keep 'em coming, ok?

Have you got a moving date yet?

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

Leia from MN
on 8/5/09 4:21 am - Richmond, VA
Ok.  I'll modify my notes to put the punctuation in the correct spot.  Those things are important to know.

Yes, the Richmond area is where I'll be going.  But from what I can tell, it's kind of in the middle of almost everything.  And if it's a group that doesn't care if I don't appear every time, I am willing to drive an hour or two for good company and conversation.

Right now, there is only one formal group that I do attend, and it is through my surgeon's office.  However, most of the other things I do, clothing swaps, bonfires, Saturday morning coffees, are all informal gatherings where the discussion is only sometimes related to our surgery.  There is just a comfort that comes with ordering my coffee and/or food with non-fat milk and sugar-free things like everyone else around me.

I am a question asker, and at times, a ranter.  But I reserve the rants for ultimate frustration.

No moving date yet.  I may be out there within the next couple weeks for some face to face things.  If time allows then, I'd like to meet some people for coffee.

(Have you noticed that I REALLY like coffee?)

-The Yankee in Transition
Leia
292/189

vagirl00
on 8/5/09 10:58 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Hi, Leia!

Welcome, welcome, welcome!

As the others have said, there are several groups in the Richmond area.  Once you know you are heading down here and know where you are going to be (Richmond area is pretty large), I am sure we can get you the information you are looking for...much more specific.

Good luck with the possible transfer.  Virginia is a beautiful state, and the Richmond area is wonderful.  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views