Hi! I'm new!

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/28/09 2:58 pm - Alexandria, VA
Hi Amanda!
Dr. Anez--I've been reading good things about him! did you have the mini or the full? Why did you pick him? 2.5months and 50lbs--way to go!!!!!!!!

Candace
Amanda G.
on 7/29/09 7:03 am - Fairfax , VA
Dr. Anez came very highly recomended from another patient.  When talking to the staff at the hospital they had nothing but positive feedback about him.  During my initial consult with him he was very charming and sweet.  Got right to business and told me that with the amount of weight I had to lose the lap band would not be a good chioice.  He explained the RNY to me in great detail (I had done no research on it because I had planned to get the lap band).  He made me feel comfortable but didn't put any pressure on me to have the RNY surgery. When I chose to do the RNY he was right there to support me.  I had the mini incision.  My scar is about 3.5 inches long. 
Cheers!
Amanda

Ann S.
on 7/30/09 4:34 am - Middletown, VA
Lap Band on 07/16/07 with
Hey Candace!  Welcome to the VA Board!!  Always great to see new faces full of questions.  Keeps us oldtimers on our toes...lol!

I am also a patient of Dr. Moazzez & I can't say enough good things about him.    But then almost everyone is in love with their surgeons...lol.

I chose to have lap band due to some health issue I have that are ongoing & will always be ongoing...crappy heart.

I chose the band for several reason:

1.  It's adjustable.  If I need more restriction, I can get it.  If I need less, because oh let's say I'm in hospital & need to take in more food for some reason, then they pop into the little port, remove some of the saline & voila!  Less restriction.  Then when it's time, poof!  Restriction back.

2.  Weightloss is slower which give my body time to keep up with the loss...not as much sagging skin.  Still some, but not as much.

3.  It's safe enough even for pg women.

4.  No dumping from sugar.

5.  No malabsorption.

6.  It's done laproscopically so just 3 or 4 little pukas in the belly...quicker recovery time.

All that being said, just like with bypass, there are lifestyle changes that you must commit to in order to be successful.  Accept the fact that carbonation is gone.  For many, absorbable foods such as bread, rice, or pasta may have to go...anything that will blow up when liquid hits it will get stuck...at least it does for me.  But not always.  It just depends on what kind of mood your pouch is in on any given day...or so it seems.

Exercise is a key ingredient to success with the band.  I have yet to get out of the terrible two's even though I had my surgery 2 years ago, but that's because my heart took a drastic step down.  But I'm back on track again & in fact, will be seeing Dr. Mo next week Thursday for another fill.  So that's a good thing.

Whatever you decide, I'm proud of you for asking so many questions & for researching.  Knowledge is power, as you know from being a proff.  Heads up for my next post about next week...you might be interested.

Hope to meet you soon!

Hugs!
Ann

Please help support our troops in harm's way.  Go to AnySoldier.com
Tomorrow is our future...yesterday our history...today our surprise & that's why it's called Present! 

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/30/09 5:29 am - Alexandria, VA
hi Ann! I can tell I will like you a lot already!

You just eased some of my concerns about the lap band...thank you! I'm scared of dumping, not absorbing all the vitamins/nutrients and the increase in risk with bypass--but I'm scared of the complications I've heard about with lap band. So sharing your experience with lap band is very, very helpful for me. I'm going to look more seriously in to it.

...tell me more about the "port"...is it outside of your body like an insulin port would be? Doesn't that cause a bunch of other concerns?

I just talked to my insurance today-aetna--and they do cover whatever weightloss surgery I want so long as I am over 40bmi (more on that below) or have a co-morbidity like Diabetes (more on that, too...)

I'm on the fense for both the bmi and diabetes. Depending on if my BMI is measured in CM or inches, --and depending on if I'm 263 or 259 that day--I'm either a tenth of a point away from a BMI 40 (so am I suposed to go on a junk food binge for a month or something to get it over 40!?) or I'm just squeeking in. Oh, and it depends on if I measure at 5'7.75 or 5'8"... I am soooo frustraited.

...and I've never actually been tested for diabetes, but I'm on metoformin for insulin bc the bariatricians thought i most likely have diabetes or PCOS...

I just kind of want to cry.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views