Hi! I'm new!

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/26/09 4:43 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi everyone!

I finally reached the point in the last few months that I realized this weight isn't ever going to come off without surgery. I have done The Zone, South Beach, Body Bugg, Weigh****chers, Six Week BodyMakeover, phentermine...you name it. I might drop 30lbs, but it comes back with backup.

All the different methods of surgery--in addition to finding a doctor and going through the hoops for the insurance--just feels so overwelming to me. Can someone please help a girl out and shed some light on where to start?

I'm in Alexandria, btw...:)

Who are the doctors worth seeing?

What are the "best" surgery options? What goes in to picking one technique over another? And what are the "mini" and the "sleave"?

I am 259/5'8" sz 20-22/2x-3x...

Does anyone know if surgery is effective if you have PCOS?

I'm looking forward to meeting y'all and learning about the options here!

Thanks!
C
Brenda E.
on 7/26/09 5:24 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with
Hello Candace and welcome!!  I would suggest going to a seminar where they explain all the different types of surgery and then decide which is the best for you.  Blue Point Surgical in Woodbridge is a Center of Excellence and I love the the drs there.  I have never heard a bad thing about any of them!  www.bluepointgroup.com  Hope this helps a bit!

Good luck to you!

Brenda
CandaceHasCurves
on 7/26/09 7:25 am - Alexandria, VA
hi Brenda!! thanks so much for your reply!

What is a "center of excellence"? Is that a special distinction to look out for?

Candace
lysb
on 7/26/09 5:51 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Candace and welcome, i'm in alexandria as well.  I had my surgery with drs. halmi & tran (woodbridge office) they are with the above-group.  I had RNY 16 months ago well work it!  I'm not sure about it.  bluepoint has "support group" meetings first thursday of every month, they are good for an informational source, or just make an appointment with a couple of folks for a consult.  Welcome to the ride of your life! lys

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/26/09 7:27 am - Alexandria, VA
hi Iys!

What part of Alex are you in? I'm in Del Ray....we just moved here from Idaho, actually...so this is ALL brand new to me! :) Your weightloss progress looks inspirational!!

If you're near by maybe we could meet up for some tea some time? I'd love to pick your brain. :)

Thanks so much!!
Candace
FeFi
on 7/26/09 6:00 am - GA
RNY on 04/24/14
Hi Candace,

I'm I fairly new to the area.  I've been here for 4 months and I started the WLS program in Atlanta.  The first thing I did was look in to Drs in this area and see if they were apart of the Center of Excellence.  I chose Dr. Halmi with BluePoint based on what I research on-line about him and as well based on my first meeting with him (I met with two other drs in the area as well).  I must admit I am very PLEASED with my choice and if I had to do it all over again I would.  Did I mention his office staff in Vienna is excellent.  I love both Ashleys.

I had the Lapband on 7/15 and my starting weight was 256 and I am currently 234.5 and 5'1.

Felecia

CandaceHasCurves
on 7/26/09 7:31 am - Alexandria, VA
Hi Felecia,

Thanks so much for responding! I'm new to the area, too--just moved here from Idaho in Feb. I was seeing a bariatric phys. back in Idaho and doing well (lost 20lbs in 3 months or so)--but then moved and didn't see a new bariatrician until June. I like her, but i hate taking 15+ meds a day and dealing with the side effects (headaches, constipation from h*ll) and I haven't dropped a single pound in months...perhaps the constipaption is to blame? ha!

10lbs in just 11 days--dang! Way to go! What made you pick the lapband? And who were the other docs you met with/why didn't you pick them?

Thanks so much!!
Candace

MerMer
on 7/26/09 12:51 pm
Hello Candance,

Just wanted to say Hello and welcome to the VA Board. Wish you great success in whatever surgery you decide on.

Mary
CandaceHasCurves
on 7/27/09 8:51 am - Alexandria, VA
Thank you, Mary! I already feel so much support and kindness from the other "boardies" :) I really, really needed that--and it looks like I'm in the right spot to get it! :)

I look forward to getting to know you more!!
Candace
Heide A.
on 7/26/09 3:42 pm - Chantilly, VA
RNY on 02/24/09 with
Candace,

Greetings welcome to the VA board. I had surgery on Feb 24, 2009, and I have lost 120lbs so far. I had surgery at INOVA Fair Oaks, my doctor is Dr. Moazzez. He is wonderful, he will spend as much time with you as you need and his office staff is fantastic. I live in Chantilly, but know where Del Ray is and would be willing to come out and meet you, and share my info and story. Good luck with your journey and we are here if you need us.

Heide

364      330      197   175
START  SURGERY  CURRENT GOAL

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views