worried

dlo2
on 7/20/09 2:14 am - Brandenburg, KY

Good morning everyone,  I have had too much time on my hands waiting for
sept. 8th to come around.  Reading about all the possible complications is driving me crazy.  I am doing this surgery to get healthy and reading all this information makes me think I am doing just the opposite.  Anyone else feel this way before surgery.  If so how do you get past it.  I have decided I have done enough research.  I need to go see my gastroenterologist but I am afraid he will not approve of the surgery.  I know I don't need his approval, but his opinion will make a difference to me.  does anyone have any experience with gastroenterologist not approving of the surgery.

vagirl00
on 7/20/09 5:42 am
RNY on 09/19/07 with
Good afternoon!

First off, you are in good hands with Drs. Tran and Halmi.  They were both my surgeons, and not only are they awesome bariatric surgeons, but they are good people!  Their practice is wonderful.

Regarding being frightened/concerned:  I tell everyone the same thing...this is major surgery, and you should think of it as such.  No major (or minor, for that matter) surgery should be taken lightly.  It is your responsibility to be an informed patient -- read as much as you can, attend support groups and speak to others who are considering the surgery, those waiting to have it, those who have had it...and hopefully those who are years post op so you can get a good idea of what is involved.  Get on sites such as Obesity Help, and go through the various forums.  Research, research, research.  The more you know, the better off you will be to make decisions regarding WLS.

My gastroenterologist knew about the surgery that I was going to have, and has been nothing but supportive throughout it.  In fact, she made sure I understood how future colonoscopies were going to have to be handled, how to get around the issue of volume with the pouch for the prep that has to be done, the works.  She has been so excited for me with the weight loss, that we spend a good part of our appointments talking about it and how it has affected me.

I hope this of some help to you.  Nerves are perfectly normal, but I am one of those who firmly believes that the more you know, the less there is to be frightened of. 

Best of luck!  :)
Cindy   Beach    

5'9"   347/200/186/180

The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart.

....Helen Keller

Tina22026
on 7/20/09 5:46 am
RNY on 01/14/09 with
Very good advice Cindy!  Nerves are normal but be strong it will be fine and you will be on your way to a healhier you!

Tina
Consult/Pre Op/Current/Goal - 347/329/137/160 

lysb
on 7/20/09 10:18 pm - Alexandria, VA
It is a huge undertaking this surgery, but well worth it.  Cindy said everything that needed to be said.  I don't have a gastroent. myself, so i'm no help.  I'll keep you in my prayers. lys

Ms Court
on 7/20/09 10:28 pm - Remington, VA
Nerves are normal, especially as you read everything that you can regarding the surgeries.  Make sure to not overwhelm yourself, it is important to be informed but don't let the what if's freak you out.

Courtney  305/155/150/225 high/goal/low/current 
**The devil has put a penalty on all things we enjoy in life.  Either we suffer in health or we suffer in soul or we get fat...Albert Einstein ** 

Tam
on 7/25/09 12:32 am - Richmond, VA
Everyone has given you great advice.  Come here and ask questions if you have them...your day will be here before you know it!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views