I'm visiting Richmond :)

Laura B.
on 7/14/09 3:26 am - RI
Hi everyone! I'm in Richmond right now on business for 2 weeks and I was hoping that some of you from the Richmond area would be able to give me some ideas on places to visit and things to do. I'm working off of Perham Rd and staying downtown near the Jefferson Hotel. It seems like a quaint historic city/town but I'm sure that there are some places/things that I shouldnt miss.

Any suggestions are welcome!
Lifeski
on 7/14/09 4:36 am
Hi L.B.!  I have lived in Richmond for 14 years and have my favorite things to do.   I guess it depends on what your interests are.  I personally love the Science Museum, Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Maymont Park (Free and great when it's not too hot), near downtown is Shockoe Slip and Shockoe Bottom which has a lot of bars and resturants but I don't tend to go down there often.  Of course Richmond is very historical and so much of it's tourism is based on the Civil War thus there are places to go related to that also.  If you give me more of an idea of what you are looking to do I may be able to offer more advice.  If I don't know where it is I can assure you my three children who live in Richmond do.

Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Laura B.
on 7/14/09 6:58 am, edited 7/14/09 6:58 am - RI
Thanks Teresa - I have heard of Maymont and I'm thinking of doing that Sunday... I basically just want to see EVERYTHING!!! I dont travel often so I have to take advantage of it while I'm here.

Thank you for your suggestions - I'm definitely going to check out the Science Museum and the gardens!
Lifeski
on 7/14/09 8:49 am
My daughter recommends the Poe Museum.  I think the art museum(Virginia Museum of Fine Arts) is closed for renovations but they have Third Thursdays  which is THIS THURSDAY where they have music and such at the museum.  Admission is $10.  
Dave and Busters is located in the  West End of Richmond.  From what I know ( I have not been there YET) it is like a Chucky Cheese for adults.

Charlottesville is a little over an hour away and is beautiful.  There are mountain views and some of the prettiest (in my opinion) views around.  There is a downtown pedestrian mall with lots of small resturants.  Monticello, the home of Thomas Jefferson is there and so is the University of Virginia campus which is nice.   A little less than an hour away is Historic Williamsburg.  Lots of history (kind of a living history park)  and outlet shopping there.   There are two theme parks not too far away.  Kings Dominion is 15 or 20 minutes away.  Busch Gardens is near Williamsburg.  Ok I think I may be out of ideas.  Hope you have fun.  BTW the Jefferson is about the nicest place around to stay.
Teresa
HW-293                     SW-290                    

Tam
on 7/15/09 1:32 am - Richmond, VA
There is TONS to do, depending on your interests.  What do you like to do?  Let me know if you are interested in meeting for dinner.  I live close to Parham Road.  Send me a PM because I might not check back on this thread.  Maymont is awesome!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

abbysmom
on 7/15/09 9:59 am
Lewis Ginter has a butterfly exhibit.  I plan to do that this weekend with my daughter.  You should consider visiting Carytown.  There are tons of great shops and restaurants (not to mention my law office - but we don't opne until August 10).  I think the watermelon festival is on August 9...you probably won't be in town.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views