Support groups in Southern VA?

PattiD13
on 7/12/09 5:30 am - Marion, VA
Hello, I'm new and haven't had my surgery yet, but I know I will need to go to a support group afterwards. What I am wondering is if there are any support groups in Southern VA? Like around the Marion/Chilhowie/Wytheville area?
Thanks for any help!
Carla C.
on 7/12/09 7:41 pm - Norfolk, VA
start by asking your surgeon, nutritionist or the office staff.  Im sure they know of some or can connect you with someone who might know.  Just ask other patients in the waiting room.  Or when all else fails Google or Bing it.  I have found www.bing.com very helpful.  I wll keep searching, since I am addicted to the internet and let you know. 
lysb
on 7/12/09 10:09 pm - Alexandria, VA

Patti, welcome to the VA board.  I live in NOVA, so i'm no help to you finding support groups in SOVA, but like above, check with your practice.  lys

PattiD13
on 7/13/09 7:09 am - Marion, VA
Thanks for replying. I am worried my surgeon/team won't know of support groups in my area. I am having my surgery in NOVA (at UVA) and that's 3 1/2 hours away from me one way. I certainly don't want to drive that far.

Do you know if they require support groups or is it just strongly encouraged?

Thanks.

Donna B.
on 7/13/09 9:05 am, edited 7/13/09 9:08 am - Somewhere in, VA
Hi Patti. 

I live in the Tazewell/Bluefield area and there are no support groups near this area that I am aware of.  I had my surgery in Winston Salem, NC in 2007 (I was living near there at the time) and my surgeon does have monthly support group meetings.  But that is about a 2 1/2 hour drive for me so I rarely make them since they are held on the 3rd Thursday evening of the month and when you wor****il 5 p.m. Monday thru Friday, well, it just ain't happening, ya know!!??

My surgeon does not require you to attend the meetings but he does encourage it as it does help greatly to keep you motivated and on track. 

Maybe we could start a support group of our own near the Wytheville area?  I think it would be great to meet up with others who have taken or are getting ready to take this journey of a lifetime.  What do you think?

Good luck to you and if you have any questions I can answer for you, let me know.  I just passed my 2 year surgiversary and have had no complications (knock on wood!).

Hugs,
Donna

Life is short ~ dance like no one's watching!!

305/292/167/159
High/Surg/Curr/Goal

PattiD13
on 7/13/09 9:12 am - Marion, VA
Hmm...now that is an idea, to start one ourselves. I don't know how you'd go about it though. Do we need a therapist to lead it? Hmm...Let's try to find out. There's bound to be others near us that would like to have that. Great idea! :)

Congratulations on your surgiversary.

Thanks so much.
~Patti

Donna B.
on 7/13/09 12:36 pm - Somewhere in, VA
I'm not sure how to formally start a group.  My idea was maybe to get a small group of pre and post ops just to meet up somewhere once or twice a month and just share experiences and give each other encouragement and advice on an informal basis.  What do you think?

I do have a friend from the NC board that started her own support group and I'm sure she could give me some pointers on how to start up a group and what all it would entail.  I'll check with her and let you know what I find out.

Life is short ~ dance like no one's watching!!

305/292/167/159
High/Surg/Curr/Goal

PattiD13
on 7/14/09 3:30 am - Marion, VA

That sounds like a good way to start. I thought about asking if we could use a room at Wytheville Community College, but I don't know if they charge for that. They didn't used to, but that might have changed. I will get in touch with them to find out. I thought that might be a good location since it's fairly easy to find. I'll check the library there too.

I've looked up a little online, and they talked about making flyers and things to advertise. That's the easy part I guess.

Thank you for asking into it, I hope your friend can give us some pointers.

Tam
on 7/15/09 1:10 am - Richmond, VA
I just wanted to welcome you to the boards!

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

PattiD13
on 7/15/09 1:20 pm - Marion, VA
Thank you! :)
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views