Im a newbie and have some questions...

Navytown Mom
on 7/10/09 3:39 am
I am just waiting on the approval from my insurance and then they will send me to the last seminar and schedule the date and do the final blood work. I have been trying to read as much as possible about the procedure and before/after stories. The first seminar that I attended went over the basic procedures and different types of operations but I have so many questions.

Does everyone start the liquid diet before the surgery? 

How is the liquid diet, what do you have ect? 

My surgeon told me that with the gastric bypass they cut out part of the stomach, however one website i saw just said they stapled part of it. Has anyone heard of them actually cutting it? 

meantine
on 7/10/09 5:54 am
The most important question I believe  you have I will answer first and that is NO they do not cut out part of the stomach.  They did that at one time but now they do not.  Now you do need to ask your doctor about that face to face.  I joke around and say I have two stomachs.  If you have anymore questions about that PLEASE Just ask.
Second, I don't know anyone who didn't have the liquid diet before and after the surgery.  I had beef, chicken and vegetable broth all the time.  Plus Jello, Pudding, and protien shakes.  Some doctor have a very set liquid diet and others just say liquid diet and protein shakes.  It all should be in the reading stuff they gave you.  I had to go through 6 months of classes before my surgery and I learned so much.  I went through the Navy Hospital in Portsmouth Va and they did a wonderful job.  
Please feel free to ask me any questions and PLEASE TALK TALK TALK with your doctor because others can give you 50 million different answers. 
 Good luck,
 Christine
caroline2622
on 7/11/09 3:37 am - Woodbridge , VA
VSG on 09/30/08 with
The Gastric Bypass is not a removal but a re routing.    The Vertical Sleeve Gasterectomy is a removal of part of the stomach.    

I attend several seminars before deciding what surgery that worked for me.   keep up with the research.  Good luck

lost 140 lbs     

Extended TT 12/072009     Plastic Surgeon Mitchell Krieger                     
lysb
on 7/11/09 4:44 am - Alexandria, VA
Welcome to the VA board!  i think most of your questions were answered, but thought i should say welcome!  I did do a 2 week liquid diet before surgery (optifast) to shrink my liver size (I weighed 340 at the time)..good luck

Tam
on 7/11/09 5:40 am - Richmond, VA
Welcome to the board.  I did not have to do the liquid diet preop but did have to for two weeks post op.  My surgery was also over 4 years ago.  I think most if not all docs have you do it now, including my surgeon.  As for cutting out part of the stomach, I don't think so but ask your doctor.  I think they are all just stapled and you have two stomachs but one is not used. 

Tammy C

down 260+ pounds and loving life more than ever!!!
proud  mom to Kara 12-08-1994 and our newest addition Claire Makenna born 03-26-09 weighing 6 lbs 13 ounces and 19.25 inches long and very healthy.  happily dating...i honestly never knew it could be this good!  there is that special Guy for everyone out there...either you already have him or you will find him when He is ready for it! 

open RNY 04-25-2005

Life could not get any better than this!

YaVon
on 7/13/09 1:38 am - Henrico, VA
With the RNY, which is what I had, my stomach was separated not just stapled.  Some Doctors perform the surgery differently.  That's why I chose my doctor.  I wanted this to be permanent and not worry about regaining weight later on. 

Be sure to discuss this with your Doctor and understand it fully before you make a decision.  Welcome to VA Forum and good luck.
Navytown Mom
on 7/14/09 1:41 am
Thanks everyone for the help. I think that I was confused on the actual process. You are all very helpful. Thanks a bunch!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views