Eating with a Ulcer

Pat F.
on 7/9/09 9:35 am - Richmond, VA
When some of you have had ulcers what did you eat and could not eat. I know that I have not had this surgery but I am hoping that I can get some help from you all. I found out last week that I have an ulcer and a stricture, and a hernia  which has been no fun and now it is affecting my asthma and that is what I found out today. With not keeping a lot down it making my breathing a little hard so any help would be apprectiated. As far as the stricture it has been opened and they did that when they scoped me. I saw the doctor at 9:30 am and scoped at 3:00 pm that same day.
If you just give some hints of what to eat that will not upset me would be great. I know no spicy foods.

Denise V.
on 7/9/09 10:33 am
Ouch!  Sounds like you have had better days!  I do not know to much about ulcers, but I do know that you should eliminate coffee and alcohol as well as curb milk drinking, since milk stimulates acid secretion.

I was able to find some info at the link below, but if you google ulcer friendly foods or foods to avoid with ulcers you should find a lot of info.
http://heartburn.about.com/od/pepticulcers/a/ulcer_diet_plan .htm

Hope you are feeling better soon!

~*~Denise~*~
Proud Wife to Ben 9/14/04
Proud Mommy to Zoeyann 9/30/08
Pat F.
on 7/9/09 11:40 am - Richmond, VA
Thank you for the website I will look at it more tomorrow.

Melissa N.
on 7/9/09 11:29 am - Stafford, VA
Hi Pat.  I went over several things with my Gasternologist and he said basically stay away from foods that bother you.  I asked coffee...he said does it bother me?  No, then it is fine.  I said acidy foods.  He said he is not conearn about that because a tomoato is like a drop of water in a bathtub compared to a regular stomach and the acid the stomach produces.  Of course, my pouch does not produce aid and for me tomota does aggerate it.  So I stay away.  If the food bothers me, I do not eat it.  HTH.  I hope you gt better.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Pat F.
on 7/9/09 11:42 am - Richmond, VA
I guess I will find out more when I go back on the 28th of this month. I will have a lot of questions for him and I am making a list. You know it is bad when liquids are not staying down.

Melissa N.
on 7/9/09 11:48 am, edited 7/9/09 11:48 am - Stafford, VA
Get clarification from him but in general: No Caffiene, Spicy foods, acidy foods, or alcohol.  Go by his guidence but it can not hurt to practice this until then.  and no NSAIDs.

415/375/180/175
highest/surgery day/current/ goal

Mary B.
on 7/13/09 4:13 am - Southern, MD
Hi Pat. I have/had an ulcer and a hiatial hernia (sp?)

I was told:
1. Quit Smoking
2.  No Soda
3. No more Motrin

It didnt matter what I ate/ea****er would aggrivate my stomach. Ive tried everything. Now I just take a Prilosec (or generic) every day. I dont have any issues at all anymore. If I forget...I notice right away.

This was years ago and I took Protonix...didnt help. Then I tried some package thing that had an antibiotic, an ant acid and something else. I took that for two weeks...nothing again. I just went with the prilosec everyday. It was easier, and now I dont have any issues.
    Banded Feb 23, 2009 / Revision to RNY Aug 25, 2010

Most Active
Recent Topics
Post Op 17 years
Penn5mom · 1 replies · 944 views
Anyone From RVA
jacreasy · 0 replies · 2279 views